GA EV tax credit almost repealed. Decision postponed.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is purely economic play.

The $5k GA Tax Credit Incentive is very, very strong. The financial incentive to drive this car as a GA taxpayer is very hard to turn down. I'm literally driving this car for free minus a little bit of monthly electricity payments to GA Power.

When it was added to the tax laws, I don't think the State of GA or the Lawmakers could ever envision a situation where some people where taking advantage of this tax credit multiple times. I also think there was a loophole as the tax law applied to ZEV leases, not straight outright purchases.

I don't mind them curtailing the tax credit by either limiting it to one time per taxpayer/SS number. (One time per 5 year period, might fly as well.) I think they might try to tweak the lease benefit and make it only applicable to ZEV purchases.

I was very surprised that the law stayed on the books for another year. I seriously doubt it will make it beyond March, 2015 - in it's current format.

cracovian said:
DrivingFree said:
Got my 2 year lease - and will get another when this one runs out if the credit is still there.

Gotta laugh at those trying to turn this into a Left/Right issue - I live in one of the reddest counties politically in the nation and I am seeing Leaf's EVRYWHERE here - not because we want to save the planet but because we want to save some cash!

Don't laugh yet. You may be red but the most LEAF drivers in north ATL (that's where the concentration is) are still basically foreign or H1B visa holders (Chinese and Southeast Asian IT workers.) Those people are or would indeed be democrat-leaning. You will not see many once you make it past Cherokee county and its 80%+ con concentration. The lt. governor may drive one but that's still a minority though it's slowly changing.

Don't get me wrong though - I agree that in theory it should be the other way around (or at least equal across the board) and "conserving" resources and energy independence should be a priority but everything is twisted in this country and especially our state. As a Republican of the early 90s, I find myself way to the left of the hard core commies and my views haven't really changed since then :)

When there's a systemic EV attack and belittling on Faux News then the tide doesn't come as quickly to everyone. When they say that using more oil is good for the country (demand creates much needed jobs) then you may even see the EVs, hybrids, and small cars as unpatriotic. Finally, when 99% state house Republicans vote to repeal the credit compared only to a handful of Democrats supporting them then it's hard not to look at it as nonpartisan.

Frankly your assumption that most of the Leaf drivers are foreign H1B drivers is just pure fantasy probably based on your limited exposure. I know many Leaf drivers and none of them of H1B. Most of them are folks that follow SlickDeals.com where a discussion of this has been going on for years.

A "systemic EV attack and belittling on Fox News"?? Really? Did you read that somewhere? I watch a lot of Fox News and have heard next to nothing on that network as it relates to EV's.

My point is this - buying a vehicle (or in this case leasing one) is not a political statement - it's an economic one. If it IS a political statement you probably bought the car outright and are regretting it now as the best economic decision right now in Georgia is CLEARLY just to lease for 2 years and let the state subsidize your driving costs.

I don't know. Lately I see Leafs everywhere, but I know it is anecdotal and I wouldn't use my observations without substantiating them.

Maybe some people see H1B visa holders everywhere...

DrivingFree said:
cracovian said:
DrivingFree said:
Got my 2 year lease - and will get another when this one runs out if the credit is still there.

Gotta laugh at those trying to turn this into a Left/Right issue - I live in one of the reddest counties politically in the nation and I am seeing Leaf's EVRYWHERE here - not because we want to save the planet but because we want to save some cash!

Don't laugh yet. You may be red but the most LEAF drivers in north ATL (that's where the concentration is) are still basically foreign or H1B visa holders (Chinese and Southeast Asian IT workers.) Those people are or would indeed be democrat-leaning. You will not see many once you make it past Cherokee county and its 80%+ con concentration. The lt. governor may drive one but that's still a minority though it's slowly changing.

Don't get me wrong though - I agree that in theory it should be the other way around (or at least equal across the board) and "conserving" resources and energy independence should be a priority but everything is twisted in this country and especially our state. As a Republican of the early 90s, I find myself way to the left of the hard core commies and my views haven't really changed since then :)

When there's a systemic EV attack and belittling on Faux News then the tide doesn't come as quickly to everyone. When they say that using more oil is good for the country (demand creates much needed jobs) then you may even see the EVs, hybrids, and small cars as unpatriotic. Finally, when 99% state house Republicans vote to repeal the credit compared only to a handful of Democrats supporting them then it's hard not to look at it as nonpartisan.

Frankly your assumption that most of the Leaf drivers are foreign H1B drivers is just pure fantasy probably based on your limited exposure. I know many Leaf drivers and none of them of H1B. Most of them are folks that follow SlickDeals.com where a discussion of this has been going on for years.

A "systemic EV attack and belittling on Fox News"?? Really? Did you read that somewhere? I watch a lot of Fox News and have heard next to nothing on that network as it relates to EV's.

My point is this - buying a vehicle (or in this case leasing one) is not a political statement - it's an economic one. If it IS a political statement you probably bought the car outright and are regretting it now as the best economic decision right now in Georgia is CLEARLY just to lease for 2 years and let the state subsidize your driving costs.

Watching Fox a lot explains why you live in the bubble... Ask ANY dealer who their main LEAF customers are. It's the foreigners and recent immigrants with really high salaries. I drop my kids off at school in East Cobb (Alpharetta is the other hot spot in GA) and, believe me, every other car is a LEAF. And all of them still Chinese and Indian drivers at this point - nothing wrong with that - it's probably why it's a really good school.

Buying a vehicle is an economic statement - what??? There should only be Versas and LEAFs on the road then... I did lease/buy my LEAF in 2011 because I care (call it political if you must) about not sending another penny to the Arabs. And I leased another one since it was rather inexpensive and I'll keep on leasing and buying electrics from now on.

Ask ANY dealer who their main LEAF customers are. It's the foreigners and recent immigrants with really high salaries. I drop my kids off at school in East Cobb (Alpharetta is the other hot spot in GA) and, believe me, every other car is a LEAF. And all of them still Chinese and Indian drivers at this point - nothing wrong with that - it's probably why it's a really good school.

3 Leaf's in my subdivision (Peachtree Corners) - none of them are "foreigners and recent immigrants." More anecdotal data for you to consider.

Buying a vehicle is an economic statement - what??? There should only be Versas and LEAFs on the road then... I did lease/buy my LEAF in 2011 because I care (call it political if you must) about not sending another penny to the Arabs. And I leased another one since it was rather inexpensive and I'll keep on leasing and buying electrics from now on.

Leasing this vehicle in the state of Georgia IS an economic statement. Due to the huge Tax Credit. Has nothing to do with "sending another penny to the Arabs."

Any tax e-filers have trouble getting their State of GA Tax Credit?

Just wondering if you filed by paper and send in in the original ZEV Tax Credit Form as required, what do you do next year with your return if you don't get the full $5k credit this year?

DrivingFree said:
Used to be the case in the last 3 years - esp attacking GM/Volt - primarily because apparently EVs are a brainchild of Obama (even though the tax credit was passed by Bush). May be they have eased a bit now.

Any tax e-filers have trouble getting their State of GA Tax Credit?

Just wondering if you filed by paper and send in in the original ZEV Tax Credit Form as required, what do you do next year with your return if you don't get the full $5k credit this year?
I filed State on paper (not electronically). Some time after the recommended wait period, I went into the "Where is my refund" Web site for Georgia. Got a note: "You return is being processed. Please call ..." and they gave a Dept. name and number.

I called, was asked a few questions. They told me there was nothing wrong, and I got my refund/credit by direct deposit two days later.

Apparently they were holding it...

For next year, there will be a section where you claim credits rolled over from previous years. You have up to 5 years to get the full amount of your tax credit.

I got my remaining ZEV Tax Credit released (and Direct Deposited) a few weeks back. If you eFiled your Tax Return, call the GA Dept of Revenue at 404-417-2441. You likely will have to leave a VM on that general Tax Credit phone line.

Eventually, you will get hooked up with one of their employees and you can email them a copy of the ZEV form. The customer service/communications are horrible - just like most government entities. They didn't respond to multiple emails, they never answer the phone, and their individual voice mailboxes are full. But if you are persistent, they will respond (eventually).

Good luck.

Back