"gas" Pedal get stuck and when braking it does not re-gen

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems similar to my problem that I have posted elsewhere in the forum... Good point about 100% charge and no regen.. of course if the battery is full there's no place for the energy to go... I will try with a full charge and half charged pack to see if it makes the difference. They could have had a resistor bank to take care of this anomaly , seems a waste but only simple solution. It would have absorbed the energy so that even with a full pack you'd get the "feel" of regen. although the power is going to heat in the resistors.

rumpole said:
The gas pedal ("gas" is such a nice short word, I think it will stick around well into our collective EV future)

I disagree. There is no 'gas'. 'Go pedal' is actually shorter, and is correct. ;)

Locomotives use this technique for dynamic braking... In the Leaf, it would have to dissipate at least 20 Kw. which would be a massive resistor... Think 15 floor heaters...

themotorman said:
They could have had a resistor bank to take care of this anomaly , seems a waste but only simple solution

TomT said:
Locomotives use this technique for dynamic braking... In the Leaf, it would have to dissipate at least 20 Kw. which would be a massive resistor... Think 15 floor heaters...

themotorman said:
They could have had a resistor bank to take care of this anomaly , seems a waste but only simple solution
One good way to get high dissipation in a physically small device is to use an incandescent lamp to radiate the energy away. So you could have yourself some REALLY attention-getting brake lights...

I'll bring a couple of the 10Kw globes we have at the studio home for you...

Levenkay said:
One good way to get high dissipation in a physically small device is to use an incandescent lamp to radiate the energy away. So you could have yourself some REALLY attention-getting brake lights...

TomT said:

themotorman said:

Yep, nothing quite like seeing a full express train coming in a little hot and baking those roof mounted resistors!

GM solved the full battery lack-of-regen problem in the Volt by having the second motor oppose the main motor so you don't ever have a total lack of "engine braking" on long downhills like Pike's Peak. The battery starts out @ around 80% actual SOC when it says it's fully charged, but regen can bring that up to 90% or more.

BTW, it's been "Go Pedal" _at least_ since EV's ran on surplus aircraft starter motors back in the 70's.

Back