Gasoline helps my Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsaphill

IMG_20131226_110030_zpsdcdd42a5.jpg

I needed to go over 75 miles today so I drafted this Gasoline tanker for about 40 miles down the 101, 134 and 210 highways, It worked and I got over 85 miles
Warning: Don't try this! The safest distance to drive behind a big rig at 55 miles per hour is 150 feet. Driving any closer is insane because it puts you in the driver's blind spot and also does not give you enough time to respond if the big rig's driver changes speed. This post is for informational purposes only.

Eek! If I were to draft a truck for such reasons, it wouldn't be a gasoline/fuel tanker! :shock:

And, unfortunately, some underride guards on big rigs do a bad job of protecting the car in the back: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/new-crash-tests-underride-guards-on-most-big-rigs-leave-passenger-vehicle-occupants-at-risk-in-certain-crashes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Why quote a vehicle driving into the back of a stationary truck?

Takes time to slow a truck down. Takes less time to slow a Leaf down.

Nice picture!

How fast were you driving? average?

vsaphill said:
IMG_20131226_110030_zpsdcdd42a5.jpg

I needed to go over 75 miles today so I drafted this Gasoline tanker for about 40 miles down the 101, 134 and 210 highways, It worked and I got over 85 miles
Warning: Don't try this! The safest distance to drive behind a big rig at 55 miles per hour is 150 feet. Driving any closer is insane because it puts you in the driver's blind spot and also does not give you enough time to respond if the big rig's driver changes speed. This post is for informational purposes only.

donald said:
Why quote a vehicle driving into the back of a stationary truck?

Takes time to slow a truck down. Takes less time to slow a Leaf down.

Also it takes time to recognize a developing problem, initiate action, and have it take effect. You may have great brakes but you can't transcend human physiology and reaction times.

And, if the truck ahead has slammed into a pileup (that you can't see), it can decelerate faster than your LEAF.

Are you competing for the Darwin Award??? ;)

vsaphill said:

I don't draft (my old reflexes are too slow and I don't buy collision insurance), but I did have Mobileye 560 installed on both our LEAFs and just last week on my teenager's Ford Escape Hybrid. I do think it may make driving close to a truck slightly safer. Judging distance on the highway to the car in front of you takes continuous vigilance, which humans cannot do except for short periods.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i draft every day. the other day i traveled 23 miles and added 3 miles to my range, by drafting on the downhills. I leave it in B mode because i can feel the regen better. i only regen one bubble as to not drift away from the other car too quickly.

I drafted a tractor-trailer once, for many miles, with a passenger, on a motorcycle, at highway speeds. It was very stupid, I was just lucky, and I don't brag about it. Sorry, no pictures.

or maybe can you get a little closer and take a picture so that we can see you clearly on the reflection ?

I have drafted a few times and got good range.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Does drafting the truck make the truck get worse fuel economy? Or does the Leaf behind it actually improve the truck's aerodynamics?

Drafting does, in fact, help the leading vehicle. The difference is not as great as for the following vehicle, of course.

The leading vehicle is essentially pulling a bubble of dead air down the road, creating a suction behind it. The following vehicle displaces that air and thus reduces the suction.

The same effect can be experienced when drafting on bicycle. (To do so, you have to be so close that the wheels are practically touching). As you are pedaling, you could feel the boost from the drafter behind you.

Back