Gen 2 Chevrolet Volt PHEV (2016+) MSRP $33,995

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it will be stupid for GM to do attack ads on competitor products. So far their advertising, while not very effective, have taken the moral high road. INHO negative ads make them look sleazy. I know some of you believe they are sleazy but that's an opinion I don't share. I think the best thing they could is build a great product and the word will eventually get out.

edatoakrun said:
The Leaf ad traps the focus group between floors in dead elevators, leaving them stranded there to emphasize the frustration of being stuck, a major concern for drivers of battery powered cars such as the Leaf...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150930/RETAIL03/150939993/2016-chevy-volt-rollout-includes-attack-ads-on-nissan-leaf-toyota

Perhaps Nissan will counter with an ad showing an elevator equipped with an ICE range-extender.

As the crowded elevator passes the fiftieth floor of a high-rise, the ICE stars up.

At the hundredth floor, the door opens, and a smog cloud slowly clears to reveal all the elevator passengers dead of asphyxiation...

Humor is a good thing, so I'm ok with the new Volt adds. And I'm ok with Leaf adds that make fun of the Volt (though yours is boring). I think the asphyxiation add would work better as an anti VW "clean" diesel add. Anything to help expand the overall EV market awareness. Of course, one would expect Prius, Leaf, and Volt owners to naturally be interested in Leafs, Volts, Teslas, Bolts, and other EVs.

edatoakrun said:
2016 Chevy Volt rollout includes attack ads on Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius

...starting later this fall, two long-form ads will debut on the Internet. The first one, a shot at the battery electric Nissan Leaf, aims to show how the Volt eliminates range anxiety -- the fear of running out of battery power. The second ad compares the nickel metal hydride battery technology in the top-selling Toyota Prius to that of late 1990s consumer electronics. The Volt uses more advanced lithium ion batteries.

The ads will have a familiar look and feel. They continue the focus group setting featuring consumers -- not actors -- that Chevrolet showcased earlier this year when it touted high strength steel against aluminum in a bid to put a few dings in Ford’s new lightweight F-150.

Chevrolet’s global chief marketing officer, Tim Mahoney, said those ads have been extremely effective in helping improve Chevrolet’s brand image. Mahoney said Chevrolet’s “shattering perceptions” ads have bumped consumers’ favorable opinion of the brand by 3 percent.

The Leaf ad traps the focus group between floors in dead elevators, leaving them stranded there to emphasize the frustration of being stuck, a major concern for drivers of battery powered cars such as the Leaf...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150930/RETAIL03/150939993/2016-chevy-volt-rollout-includes-attack-ads-on-nissan-leaf-toyota

Perhaps Nissan will counter with an ad showing an elevator equipped with an ICE range-extender.

As the crowded elevator passes the fiftieth floor of a high-rise, the ICE stars up.

At the hundredth floor, the door opens, and a smog cloud slowly clears to reveal all the elevator passengers dead of asphyxiation...

I love it!

Seriously, though. Getting stuck in an elevator is more than a little dramatic. The worst thing that has happened to me is that I've had to wait a little longer for a trip, usually I just take the hybrid.

I'm glad they're going after the Prius, though. But I don't think this is the best way to do it. I would show someone shooting around in electric mode, enjoying the instant torque. Then have them park next to a Prius driver. Prius driver: "great, but how much gas do you burn in a month?" Volt driver: "oh, typically about 4 gallons.

Stupid of GM to come up with an anti-EV ad - when they want to sell Bolt. Or do they ?

evnow said:
Stupid of GM to come up with an anti-EV ad - when they want to sell Bolt. Or do they ?
I believe GM has been entirely sincere about their vehicle sales objectives.

GM has said it wants to sell ~30,000 BEVs per year.

And GM also hopes to continue to sell ~10,000,000 ICEVs per year.

This ad seems to be designed to help it meet those goals...

edatoakrun said:

Wouldn't mind being trapped in an elevator with a really hot fellow focus group member. A plus if she happens to really be into me too. :D

Ordered a week or so ago and got a TPW of 10/26/2015. About 2-3 weeks to get to dealer. Probably won't be able to pick it up until after Thanksgiving since we have plans. Was hoping to pull it home using the Model X but the Volt will be done earlier. Fly out drive back similar to what we did with our 2011 Volt.

evnow said:
edatoakrun said:
This ad seems to be designed to help it meet those goals...
But not the goal of selling Bolts.
Normal daily driving with 200 miles is different than < 100 miles. Major major difference in a daily drive even in bad weather or construction detours or race to the hospital for a loved one.

But isn't this a Volt thread so why derail it.

For awhile, I thought maybe the 2016 Leaf would beat the 2016 Volt to the dealerships, but the 2016 gen2 Volts are starting to appear all over California dealerships, as well as a few in the other 10 CARB states, and Quebec. I'm not sure when the new Leafs will come out. I'm also curious as to when the new 2016 Prius will come out. I have to wait until March 2017 before I can see a gen2 Volt, since I live in Texas, unless we wind up vacationing in California. So maybe the 2016 Leaf will get to Texas before the gen2 Volt gets here.

Has anyone seen a Gen 2 Volt in the wild yet? Not sure if they're officially available yet, still being prepped or what have you, but here in EV central I kind of thought I'd see one by now, and haven't.

I've seen a couple on the streets here...

GRA said:
Has anyone seen a Gen 2 Volt in the wild yet? Not sure if they're officially available yet, still being prepped or what have you, but here in EV central I kind of thought I'd see one by now, and haven't.

Just saw one this morning. Looks good if not plain, I think I like the exterior of Gen 1 better. Hopefully it has the interior that is not as claustrophobia inducing as that of Gen 1.

Valdemar said:
Just saw one this morning. Looks good if not plain, I think I like the exterior of Gen 1 better. Hopefully it has the interior that is not as claustrophobia inducing as that of Gen 1.
The restricted visibility, especially to the forward corners around those massive A-pillars, would have eliminated the Gen 1 Volt for me even if it had otherwise met my needs. If GM would get a clue and build an small AWD CUV using the Voltec powertrain, I could at least consider one.

GRA said:
If GM would get a clue and build an small AWD CUV using the Voltec powertrain, I could at least consider one.
Agree. I would have likely got one if it was a 6 or 7 passenger vehicle. I think the problem started with Bob wanting a psuedo sports car.

Valdemar said:
Someone posted side-by-side photos from the driver seat and they showed the same thick A pillar. The view aft, if anything is more difficult to see out of the single window compared to the split window of Gen 1.

EVforRobert said:
Valdemar said:
Someone posted side-by-side photos from the driver seat and they showed the same thick A pillar. The view aft, if anything is more difficult to see out of the single window compared to the split window of Gen 1.
The few reviews I've seen that mention it say that the vis around the A-pillars is better in Gen 2, the question is how much, and that will be a YMMV issue that can only be determined by sitting in the car.

Back