Gene and the Machine: The shocking truth about Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Here is an unconventional Volt review. Hilarious.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/21/AR2011012105347.html

This is particularly true for a concept car such as the Volt, which has been selling disproportionately to men, and which is why, to better serve you, the discerning consumer, I am stopping an attractive woman on a Bethesda sidewalk and asking her if she would sleep with me.

... Channel 5's report the next day, the news anchor will blithely misinform the viewers that the Volt is the "world's first electric vehicle" before handing off to the reporter, whose enthusiastic, upbeat segment will end with Chuck Rogers driving the car away, happy as a clam.

Alas, the reporter left too soon. There was a problem with the brakes. Chuck Rogers turned the car right around and drove back into the service bay. The mechanics couldn't fix it. Chuck went home that day carless.
Poor Chuck travelled 70 miles to get the car, home another 70 miles, then 4 days later back 70 more miles, and finally bragged that it only took 1 gallon of gasoline to get his Volt home.

Imagine the shrieks of horror if Nissan had handed a Leaf with bad brakes to one of us.
Imagine if the Nissan service center couldn't figure out how to fix the brakes.
THere would be 50 posts on how they should test the cars as they come off the production line before an hour had passed.
Poor GM.

jkyu99 said:
Imagine the shrieks of horror if Nissan had handed a Leaf with bad brakes to one of us.
Imagine if the Nissan service center couldn't figure out how to fix the brakes.
THere would be 50 posts on how they should test the cars as they come off the production line before an hour had passed.
Poor GM.
Yes - gm-volt people are mostly what you might say fans of GM. Here we are mostly fans of EVs ...

mogur said:
A wonderfully tongue in cheek article. I loved it!

evnow said:
Here is an unconventional Volt review. Hilarious.
I agree. A very funny and entertaining article written by a non-car guy, with a style like Peter Egan (minus the automotive savvy).

TT

Ha. That was great.

I am busy taking a careful daily tally of miles to see just how far I need to go. So far 5.6 shortest day, and a week day average of 35. Leather and heated seats are oh-so-very-tempting. But really, living in a town where there is unlikely to be much charging infrastructure because, well, from end to end it's easily under 50 miles makes the Volt a very appealing option.

Trips to Charleston are just out of the LEAF's range, and man, the road from here to there is via the absolute boonies. My husband works most weekends (photographer who drives all over the world in his car so I can't even switch out) so I need something with longer range since I can't rely on him being around.

The Volt is looking very much like a good solution. Hmmm.

Yeah, that's a pretty good read.

James Woolsey, ex-Director of the CIA under Clinton, on the Volt:
"Many really good new ideas lose money when first implemented. The Prius did, and the Volt will. But GM was following the short-term money for years. The Japanese invested in quality and, over time, ate their lunch. With the Volt, GM is listening to people with a longer-term view."

Back