Georgia an electric car giant - But will it last?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
GRA said:
I haven't seen any notice yet that the governor signed it, but it passed both houses of the Georgia legislature.
Turncoat Democrat Nathan Deal will sign it.
Found this from April 1st which says he will sign it, but nothing since then: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/capitol_vision/2015/04/gov-deal-to-sign-transportation-funding-bill.html?page=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The highlights:
The transportation funding bill the General Assembly passed shortly before midnight Tuesday is passing muster with Gov. Nathan Deal.

The governor announced Wednesday he looks forward to signing the legislation, aimed at raising nearly $900 million a year in new revenue for highway, bridge and transit improvements across Georgia . . . .

But the conferees emerged Tuesday night with an agreement to meet halfway on the proposed excise tax on motor fuels that would raise a large share of the new revenue – settling on a tax of 26 cents per gallon on gasoline and 29 cents a gallon on diesel.

The final bill also retained elements both legislative chambers had agreed upon previously, including a new user fee on electric vehicles and a provision eliminating a sales tax exemption on purchases of jet fuel that goes mostly to Delta Air Lines Inc.

New provisions added by the conference committee include a $5-per-night statewide hotel-motel tax and a “heavy impact” road user fee on trucks.

Cities and counties will still be allowed to tax gasoline, but local taxes will not be levied on gasoline priced higher than $3 a gallon.

And, in a concession to the Senate, the legislation gives a nod to the TSPLOST regional transportation sales tax votes that failed in most areas of Georgia – including metro Atlanta – three years ago.

In keeping with a separate transportation bill senators passed last week, counties in regions where the TSPLOST failed in 2012 will have an opportunity to vote again if they choose, either on a regional tax or in smaller groupings of counties.
All in all I like most of these, but the BEV fee is too high; if you drive a PEV 12k miles a year, $200 is equivalent to what you'd pay in gas taxes in an ICE getting 15.6 mpg.

GRA said:
All in all I like most of these, but the BEV fee is too high; if you drive a PEV 12k miles a year, $200 is equivalent to what you'd pay in gas taxes in an ICE getting 15.6 mpg.

Want to make it fair to everyone? Don't raise the gas tax, but keep it, and apply a $200 usage surcharge to everyone. It pays for the crumbling roads, EV's aren't singled out, and we all get to keep driving.

From an Oregon prospective, where 2 year registration is $86, I can see no complaints about a road surcharge for everyone. It's fair and it encourages driving more efficient vehicles.

GRA said:
... but the BEV fee is too high; if you drive a PEV 12k miles a year, $200 is equivalent to what you'd pay in gas taxes in an ICE getting 15.6 mpg.
Agree.
And technically incompetent to make it an annual fee no matter how many miles are driven.
The wear and tear is at least partially a function of miles.
And a huge portion is from trucks that only pay a fraction of the damage they cause.

Appears Georgia wants to get back way more than they lost in revenue on the $5,000 tax credits :!:

Georgia.

Political visionaries at work.

We have this same level of "creativity" in my state also..Illinois..Governor Ruiner.

Attachments

• gallery_cartoonsbyjim_Head in the sand.jpg
    gallery_cartoonsbyjim_Head in the sand.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 23
Back