Getting a LEAF from Dallas, TX to Northeastern PA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrwl

We are preparing to sell our house in the Dallas, TX area and within a couple of months (crossed fingers) hope to be moving to Northeastern PA. Our biggest question is what is the most cost-efficient and time-efficient way to get the LEAF from point A to point B.

So far, I've come up with a few possibilities:
1. Professional car carrier truck (from what I've found so far, very expensive)
2. Towing with a UHaul car towing trailer behind a Toyota Prius (might be affordable, but can a 2008 Prius handle it?)
3. Driving the LEAF (would take a lot of time to get there and we need to get there in about 4 days if possible, don't even know if there are enough charge stations between here and there)
4. ???

Any input anyone is willing to provide regarding our options would be welcomed. We are thrilled about the move, but this logistical issue has us in a bit of a quandary and so we thought we'd run it by the combined intelligence of the forum. :)

I'd recommend against towing with the Prius. The LEAF is actually pretty heavy and would tax the Prius, particularly the continuously variable transmission (CVT).

How are you moving the rest of your stuff? I've known folks to drive a small car into a moving van along with all the furniture. If you are using a mover, you might see if they can do that.

You could also rent a U-Haul truck with a car dolly and tow the LEAF that way. Probably wouldn't save you much over the cost of a professional transporter, however.

Driving it there would be fun (for me) but it would take awhile. Have you looked into the availability of Quick Chargers along your route? I understand that Cracker Barrel restaurants are installing them at their roadside locations. Look at PlugShare.com for up-to-date information on charger locations.

I've moved long distance with the leaf twice... I'd go with a professional transporter. It's really not worth the risk or hassle to do it any other way.

The furniture is moving via PODs. Because of the timing of the house painting/flooring that we're doing prior to listing it, and so that we can show the house with as little clutter as possible, we found that the flexibility of the PODs was best for our particular situation. So we've got one POD filled up and another scheduled to fill up right before we leave town. PODS are 16 x 8 x 8, but they specifically state in the contract that you can't move a car inside them.

Towing with the Prius is absolutely out of the question. I know people do tow some loads with them, but officially its tow rating is 0 lbs, so going 3,000+ on the Leaf is not feasible.

Driving and charging isn't, either, unless your time means nothing to you. It would be a massively frustrating trip and I bet it would take longer than 4 days!

You'll have to throw it on a flatbed. When we last moved we had a moving company and one of our cars fit in the back of their 18 wheeler, but if you're doing pods you'll have to flat bed.

Now, one other thing to consider is--and no I am not joking--the reality tv show shipping wars if you look it up makes regular use of some real website that people use to bid on moving services, and one of the regular ones is cars. Basically you say what you want done and people can bid on the particular job. It may end up being a less expensive route. Here's the site they used: http://www.uship.com/vehicles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definetely hire a pro to move it. A good low bid for car transporter is $0.50 per mile. Granted there is more into the cost so you might not get anything close to that good, but at least you know thats the lower end and can see how expensive some companies are (they will need to offer something extra).

I am going to miss you guys in the Dallas board :cry:

But I may have to face it myself we could be moving in a couple of years - my wife will finish her degree and while my job is plentiyful where ever I go, hers will be more specific and we may have to move....

Pipcecil said:
Definetely hire a pro to move it. A good low bid for car transporter is $0.50 per mile. Granted there is more into the cost so you might not get anything close to that good, but at least you know thats the lower end and can see how expensive some companies are (they will need to offer something extra).

I am going to miss you guys in the Dallas board :cry:

But I may have to face it myself we could be moving in a couple of years - my wife will finish her degree and while my job is plentiyful where ever I go, hers will be more specific and we may have to move....

Awww, I'll still check the Dallas board. After living here for 30+ years, I'll always have an affection for the Dallas area. :)

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Towing with the Prius is absolutely out of the question. I know people do tow some loads with them, but officially its tow rating is 0 lbs, so going 3,000+ on the Leaf is not feasible.

Driving and charging isn't, either, unless your time means nothing to you. It would be a massively frustrating trip and I bet it would take longer than 4 days!

You'll have to throw it on a flatbed. When we last moved we had a moving company and one of our cars fit in the back of their 18 wheeler, but if you're doing pods you'll have to flat bed.

Now, one other thing to consider is--and no I am not joking--the reality tv show shipping wars if you look it up makes regular use of some real website that people use to bid on moving services, and one of the regular ones is cars. Basically you say what you want done and people can bid on the particular job. It may end up being a less expensive route. Here's the site they used: http://www.uship.com/vehicles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that site link, I'll definitely check it out later today. :)

Vicki,
I do not recommend uship.com, what they do they just add their surcharge to the price of car carriers.
Last time I shipped car I used http://www.ameristartransport.com/. I am not sure if you going to Hazleton, PA

Pickup Location Dallas, TX 75201
Delivery Location Hazleton, PA 18201
Vehicle Nissan Leaf
Operational Runs, Brakes, Rolls, & Steers
Carrier Type Open
Service Type Door-to-Door
Insurance Included*
Price includes door-to-door service and full insurance coverage for your vehicle while on the transport carrier. Allow typically one to several days to pick-up your vehicle. We require a $150.00 deposit once a carrier has been assigned and the remaining balance is due to the auto transport company/driver upon delivery with cash, cashier's check or money order only.
Your all-inclusive transport rate: $615

EatsShootsandLeafs said:

Oh wow, this is a great site! Quotes are considerably lower than what I had found previously using links from other postings about the subject. Thanks again!

EdmondLeaf said:
Vicki,
I do not recommend uship.com, what they do they just add their surcharge to the price of car carriers.
Last time I shipped car I used http://www.ameristartransport.com/. I am not sure if you going to Hazleton, PA

Pickup Location Dallas, TX 75201
Delivery Location Hazleton, PA 18201
Vehicle Nissan Leaf
Operational Runs, Brakes, Rolls, & Steers
Carrier Type Open
Service Type Door-to-Door
Insurance Included*
Price includes door-to-door service and full insurance coverage for your vehicle while on the transport carrier. Allow typically one to several days to pick-up your vehicle. We require a $150.00 deposit once a carrier has been assigned and the remaining balance is due to the auto transport company/driver upon delivery with cash, cashier's check or money order only.
Your all-inclusive transport rate: $615

Wow, I just plugged in the details for our move and it's the best price so far, $583. Excellent info EdmondLeaf, thank you!

smkettner said:
You could rent a U-Haul truck and trailer. But then you may as will get the moving van (& trailer) and skip the second pod.

Yeah, we thought about that, but I think renting the truck, the trailer, and then paying for gas and mileage on top of that would probably get close to the cost of a car carrier with MUCH less hassle. Now that we are finding quotes for half of what we originally found (my original search resulted in quotes near $1100), I think we'll go with the car carrier. Thanks to everyone for the links, they were very helpful. :)

Back