GM developing 200 mile, $30k EV??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer23

We live in interesting times. Is there any doubt left that Tesla is providing a driving force for innovation that would not exist absent their success in the market?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086989_gm-developing-tesla-model-e-rival-200-mile-30000-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no trouble agreeing that Tesla has jolted the auto industry with a much needed dose of "get off your gas!".

I saw this article yesterday in WSJ and couldn't figure out why it existed. GM basically said, yeah we'll have a $30k electric car. Someday. When we find a battery that's cheap enough.
So, really no news. Perhaps it was an interview really aimed at VW who's been talking up their EV plans at the Frankfurt Auto Show. Dunno.

Funny that in the WSJ article the Nissan quote was: "Nissan's approach is to argue that extending the range of electric vehicles to 200 miles isn't worth it because most people don't drive farther in a day than the Nissan Leaf's 75 miles of all-electric range."

I think Tesla really lit a fire under a lot of manufacturers. News articles coming out left and right from different people saying they are each going to be the industry leader. Frankly they all sound a little desperate. It's almost like you can hear the orders being barked out from the corner office: "Get so-and-so in here, I want a complete rundown on our electric strategy!" (of course there is none except for a couple of concept cars trotted out at auto shows or some earth day event) You know these guys are pulling some long hours making PowerPoint presentations.

evnow said:
Vaporware.

We're also working on a car with 250 mile range for under 30K...
Our vice president of Global Product Development John Smith won't say when or if such a car will be built, however.
Stay tuned!

Frankly, if anyone has the wherewithal to do it, it is likely GM... What they may be lacking is the motivation and incentive, though I believe that Telsa may have provided that...

Boomer23 said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086989_gm-developing-tesla-model-e-rival-200-mile-30000-electric-car

TomT said:
Frankly, if anyone has the wherewithal to do it, it is likely GM... What they may be lacking is the motivation and incentive, though I believe that Tesla may have provided that...
There will be a response because the market is now there because Tesla invented the desire for something people didn't know they had to have. Possibly from someone unexpected.
This is a tired analogy but iPhone came out and the usual suspects; Nokia, Motorola, Microsoft and BlackBerry just couldn't cobble together a decent response. It took a few years but Samsung/Google is a mighty player now. Dunno who it will be but I'm enjoying seeing them go from "EVs are nonsense" to "we're gonna beat Tesla."
What a difference, COTY, CU, NHTSA, 25k Model S's and 26 Superchargers made in 1 year.
Nissan? ...Nissan?

What GM and the rest need to do is build a car with optional battery sizes. What do they care what it cost if people want the larger battery. Look what happened at Tesla.... no demand for the small battery :roll:

Tesla gives an extra 25kW for $10,000. I would have gladly paid that if it was optional on LEAF.

Bring out a 75, 150, 225 mile car and find out where demand is.

smkettner said:
What GM and the rest need to do is build a car with optional battery sizes. What do they care what it cost if people want the larger battery. Look what happened at Tesla.... no demand for the small battery :roll:

Tesla gives an extra 25kW for $10,000. I would have gladly paid that if it was optional on LEAF.

Bring out a 75, 150, 225 mile car and find out where demand is.
Agree. And I disagree with the efficiency crowd. Must of us don't care about efficiency and care more about usefulness. I believe I read that Nissan would offer an option for 10% more battery in a future version of the Leaf. The market window for the leaf is closing, once Tesla comes down in price, we know what people will chose, because of Tesla quality. The leaf will be confined to the low end.

No doubt many companies are "working on" a 200 mile EV that sells for $30K (after tax credit?). Nissan certainly is.

More interesting were Akerson's comments that GM was doing something outside the box by bringing two different EVs to market at the same time. One would have a 200 mile range and one a 100 mile range, and GM would see which sold. I'd assume the 200 mile EV would have higher performance at a higher price point and the 100 mile EV would have lower performance at a much lower price point.

The 100 mile EV at $30K seems like a gimme. The Spark EV has a range of 80 miles and is under $28K even with the leather option. For the 200 mile EV, adding 25 kWh @ $300/kWh is only $7500. Upgrade the motor and the suspension for another $7500 and you have a performance EV for $45K.

My guess is that these will be built on the same platform as the second generation Volt.

These aren't any more vaporware than the Infiniti EV. In all cases there have been no announcements but strong hints have been dropped. I think all of these are real. If you don't then at least be consistent.

smkettner said:
See above. GM seems to have in mind something beyond a simple bigger battery option. However, it might just go with a more cells option. That in my view would be a mistake but GM doesn't consult me.

SanDust said:
No doubt many companies are "working on" a 200 mile EV that sells for $30K (after tax credit?). Nissan certainly is.
What makes you say that? Reference? The only news I can recall is 200 km, 124 miles, range for Nissan. Also Nissan has stated that bigger batteries are possible but not practical.

evnow said:
Vaporware.
Exactly what it is. Writing a press release is easy. Building the car is much harder.
When this car gets to the dealer showroom, let me know.

On the contrary I think there is a market for the basic car with more range. Just give me more battery.
Bigger motor, performance suspension, fastest charging, and more bells/whistles just add to the price I don't want to pay.
Basic EV, more range, lowest price. GM thinks if the car costs $40,000 it better be some hulking Cadillac, no thanks.

dgpcolorado said:
KJD said:
evnow said:
Vaporware.
Exactly what it is. Writing a press release is easy. Building the car is much harder.
When this car gets to the dealer showroom, let me know.
This is true for the Tesla Gen 3 car as well. I expect considerable price creep from the original projections if a 200 mile range is, indeed, offered.

The only BS from Tesla is likely price creep, vaporware it is likely not.

SanDust said:

More interesting were Akerson's comments that GM was doing something outside the box by bringing two different EVs to market at the same time. One would have a 200 mile range and one a 100 mile range, and GM would see which sold. I'd assume the 200 mile EV would have higher performance at a higher price point and the 100 mile EV would have lower performance at a much lower price point.

The 100 mile EV at $30K seems like a gimme. The Spark EV has a range of 80 miles and is under $28K even with the leather option. For the 200 mile EV, adding 25 kWh @ $300/kWh is only $7500. Upgrade the motor and the suspension for another $7500 and you have a performance EV for $45K.
No, you don't. Manufacturing costs only make up about 50% of the MSRP of a car. For a breakdown, see

http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/TA/57.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pages 2 - 4.

Back