GM developing 200 mile, $30k EV??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJD said:
According to Yahoo auto page the volt is starting at $39,145 http://autos.yahoo.com/chevrolet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Volt's MSRP is $34,145 and has been since the $5000 price cut of a month or two ago. But the bigger problem is that using the Volt as a basis for estimating the cost of a BEV is conceptually deficient. A BEV is much simpler and less expensive to build than an EREV. For BEV costs look at the Spark EV. It has a range of more than 80 miles and sells for under $27K.
Does using the Spark EV as a benchmark lead to the conclusion that we'll see a $30K BEV with a range of 200 miles in the near future? Nope. This, however, would not be a news flash since this is exactly what the GM guy said ("He said while the technology is available now, the cost of the batteries remains too high to be able to pull off the feat today"). Anyone reading the article would know that. The headline says something different but, like all headlines, it's designed to attract attention and not necessarily reflect the content of the article. You're agreeing with him and calling BS on him at the same time.

The more interesting question is whether GM will come out with a 200 mile higher performance BEV for $40K or $45K. That could be a Cadillac leaving the 100 mile BEV as a Chevy. Nissan could do with the Leaf and an Infiniti though so far the signals from Nissan are the Infiniti will have the same range as the Leaf. Hopefully this won't be the case.

SanDust said:
The 100 mile EV at $30K seems like a gimme. The Spark EV has a range of 80 miles and is under $28K even with the leather option. For the 200 mile EV, adding 25 kWh @ $300/kWh is only $7500. Upgrade the motor and the suspension for another $7500 and you have a performance EV for $45K.
You can't add so much battery to a Spark. There isn't enough space. Same goes for Leaf.

To get to a 200 mile EV in a smaller car - everyone needs higher density batteries. I suspect GM's statement is based on possibility of commercializing Envia batteries.

BUT, they have no timeline. It could happen in 2015 or 2025. That is what is called vaporware - when no definite plans exist for producing something - but is "announced" to get some PR traction.

Model E/Gen 3 on the other hand - has a definite plan - and timeline. Tesla has even talked about the need to get more batteries produced - and is actively seeking partners (Samsung recently) and partners are investing in capacity (Panasonic sinking 100s of millions). No, that is not vaporware. Ofcourse, Tesla may face problems executing on that plan - but that is a different question.

="SanDust"
...The Spark EV has a range of 80 miles and is under $28K...

As for all low-volume compliance cars, the current loss-leader sales price may have little relevance to actual production costs.

="evnow"

Model E/Gen 3 on the other hand - has a definite plan - and timeline...

Can you provide a link to that "definite plan - and timeline", please?

Start with a 50 kWh battery and build a car around it. How hard can that be?
Actually an SUV style might be better as it will look normal raised up a bit. 40 kWh and optional give up some storage 60 kWh and I think the 60 would sell better.

evnow said:
You can't add so much battery to a Spark. There isn't enough space. Same goes for Leaf.

To get to a 200 mile EV in a smaller car - everyone needs higher density batteries. I suspect GM's statement is based on possibility of commercializing Envia batteries.
Why would it be a Spark? That's highly unlikely. More likely would be the next generation platform which was designed in part for EREVs and BEVs. Should be plenty of space. The Model S has room for an 80 kWh pack and it uses very space inefficient cylindrical cells. Note that Parks didn't say "we don't have space for the batteries" but that "the batteries cost too much".

With respect to the Leaf, Nissan doesn't have a new platform coming on line but the Leaf does have lots of weird space in the hatch you could use. Also keep in mind that energy and volumetric density is going up by 8%/year and that the current cells in the Leaf are probably from 2006/2007. For the Leaf that should be enough because the Leaf is designed primarily to be cheap so it wouldn't house a 200 mile pack in any event.

edatoakrun said:

No doubt they have a plan, but afaik, the closest thing to a public timeline is an offhand "three or four years" statement by Elon Musk.

Note that Parks didn't say "we don't have space for the batteries" but that "the batteries cost too much".
Someone needed to immediately follow with the question "Then why has Tesla dropped the small battery and seems to be selling mostly the 85 kWh battery?"

Maybe the GM-EV demand is poor because the battery is too small, not the pricing is wrong.

SanDust said:
GRA said:
Obviously, these are averages. But AFAIA, all the main companies are buying battery cells but assembling the packs themselves, so they are incurring the assembly and installation costs (plus post-assembly testing?), plus they're paying the markup from their suppliers who have included their own costs, transportation costs etc. And since the battery cells plus the packs are the single most expensive component of the car, it's clear that any increase in pack cost will have an out-sized effect on MSRP. It may not be double, but it's going to be a very large increment.
The point being what? Of course a larger battery pack will increase the cost of manufacturing the car. That doesn't mean, however, that doubling the pack cost will also double all other costs. In fact the other costs won't change much if at all. If the steering column costs $50 for a car with a 20 kWh pack it's going to cost $50 for a car with a 40 kWh pack. The costs are simply unrelated.

This is so obvious I don't understand why anyone would question it. It likewise should be obvious that if you can sell a first generation BEV that goes 80 miles for $28K that you can build and sell a second generation BEV that goes 100 miles for $30K or one that goes 200 miles for $40K. The difference between a BEV that goes 80 miles and one that goes 100 miles is a mere 5 kWh. With cell costs dropping 8% a year in three years the larger pack of the next generation should be cheaper than the original smaller pack.
We agree that the 2nd gen should (IMO must) provide at least 100 miles EPA for $30k. However, at least 5 kWh is the required usable capacity increase; obviously you need to add more than 5 kWh total unless you have a battery chemistry that allows 100% usable SoC range without significant degradation. You need to add at least 6 kWh total to maintain a similar usable/total ratio to the LEAF's current battery, more in the case of a car like the Volt which uses a smaller proportion of the SoC. But if only the cost/kWh of the packs improves while leaving the energy density unchanged, as it appeared to me was being suggested (i.e. just adding more of the current batteries to boost the range), then you are incurring knock-on increases in weight which may require beefed up/changed suspension components, tires, maybe a more powerful, heavier and more expensive power steering pump and/or changes to the steering rack design (and possibly the steering column too), possibly a more powerful etc. main motor to maintain performance, a re-designed pack container and possibly cooling system, and the commensurate R&D/Engineering costs to design, integrate and test all of this, including crash tests, plus proportional overhead increases etc.

The LEAF's current battery pack weighs 680 lb. Adding 6kWh, assuming it scales linearly, will add another 170 lb. I personally think they should go to 32 kWh rather than 30 kWh for a '100 mile EPA range' to give more margin, which would boost the pack weight by 227 lb. rather than 170. Either way, that's like carrying an extra adult around all the time, before you add knock-on weight effects, so you either have to decrease the useful load or beef up the car to boost the GVWR to handle the same useful load.

While pack prices may decrease at an average of 6-8%/year, I don't think it's appropriate to say in X years the cost/kWh will be Y. Battery costs decrease in steps, not linearly, and it's difficult/impossible to say just when each step will occur. So, although I expect pack prices to decrease and consider this the #1 priority, we also need to see improvements in energy density or everyone will be driving small 3,500-4,000 lb. PEVs, barring the use of expensive Al/CFP to compensate ala the i3.

[Edited to correct math error: changed "165" to "170"]

GRA said:
We agree that the 2nd gen should (IMO must) provide at least 100 miles EPA for $30k. However, at least 5 kWh is the required usable capacity increase; obviously you need to add more than 5 kWh total unless you have a battery chemistry that allows 100% usable SoC range without significant degradation. You need to add at least 6 kWh total to maintain a similar usable/total ratio to the LEAF's current battery, more in the case of a car like the Volt which uses a smaller proportion of the SoC. But if only the cost/kWh of the packs improves while leaving the energy density unchanged, as it appeared to me was being suggested (i.e. just adding more of the current batteries to boost the range), then you are incurring knock-on increases in weight which may require beefed up/changed suspension components, tires, maybe a more powerful, heavier and more expensive power steering pump and/or changes to the steering rack design (and possibly the steering column too), possibly a more powerful etc. main motor to maintain performance, a re-designed pack container and possibly cooling system, and the commensurate R&D/Engineering costs to design, integrate and test all of this, including crash tests, plus proportional overhead increases etc.

The LEAF's current battery pack weighs 680 lb. Adding 6kWh, assuming it scales linearly, will add another 165 lb. I personally think they should go to 32 kWh rather than 30 kWh for a '100 mile EPA range' to give more margin, which would boost the pack weight by 227 lb. rather than 165. Either way, that's like carrying an extra adult around all the time, before you add knock-on weight effects, so you either have to decrease the useful load or beef up the car to boost the GVWR to handle the same useful load.
All good points. Note that the cost of the batteries decreases because the amount of raw material needed per kWh decreases. This means that cost, volume, and mass go down together. I think it should be a working assumption that Nissan currently has the battery technology which would enable it to fit a 32 kWh battery pack into the space now occupied by the 24 kWh pack and that the weight of that pack would be the same as the existing pack.

If there was increased weight, that weight would be sprung, which means you'd get a smoother ride.

Both Nissan and GM are saying that they can't make a 200 mile BEV for $30K but neither is saying it can't make a 100 mile or 120 mile BEV for $30K. At this point the real barrier to making a 120 mile BEV for $30K is volume, not so much for the packs as for all the other parts.

Berlino said:
edatoakrun said:

No doubt they have a plan, but afaik, the closest thing to a public timeline is an offhand "three or four years" statement by Elon Musk.

Actually, the only evidence of the "plan" I can find, is also only from the "offhand" statements by Elon Musk.

BTW,

...WardsAuto forecast data shows the Infiniti electric vehicle’s U.S. introduction pushed ahead just one model year, from ’14 to ’15...

http://wardsauto.com/management-amp-strategy/de-americanizing-brand-bigger-vehicles-seen-keys-infiniti-prosperity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8449&p=327174#p327174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But if the LE comes to market that quickly, I expect it will probably be an ~100-120 mile EPA range vehicle, and start at ~$40 k, pre-incentive.

I hope the second gen LEAF, in '15 or '16, will have ~ then same range, but starting at an ~$30 k price.

edatoakrun said:
Actually, the only evidence of the "plan" I can find, is also only from the "offhand" statements by Elon Musk.
Not sure what you mean by "offhand". They are very explicit. References here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_BlueStar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanCar said:
edatoakrun said:
Not sure what you mean by "offhand". They are very explicit. References here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_BlueStar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, I agree that very short article is an explicit summary of (and is largely sourced from) Musk's offhand comments...

SanDust said:
GRA said:
<snip>
The LEAF's current battery pack weighs 680 lb. Adding 6kWh, assuming it scales linearly, will add another 165 lb. I personally think they should go to 32 kWh rather than 30 kWh for a '100 mile EPA range' to give more margin, which would boost the pack weight by 227 lb. rather than 165. Either way, that's like carrying an extra adult around all the time, before you add knock-on weight effects, so you either have to decrease the useful load or beef up the car to boost the GVWR to handle the same useful load.
All good points. Note that the cost of the batteries decreases because the amount of raw material needed per kWh decreases. This means that cost, volume, and mass go down together. I think it should be a working assumption that Nissan currently has the battery technology which would enable it to fit a 32 kWh battery pack into the space now occupied by the 24 kWh pack and that the weight of that pack would be the same as the existing pack.

If there was increased weight, that weight would be sprung, which means you'd get a smoother ride.

Both Nissan and GM are saying that they can't make a 200 mile BEV for $30K but neither is saying it can't make a 100 mile or 120 mile BEV for $30K. At this point the real barrier to making a 120 mile BEV for $30K is volume, not so much for the packs as for all the other parts.
The wild card I see in this is that in order to have a battery that is less vulnerable to high temps without a TMS, it may be necessary to accept lower energy densities than would otherwise be possible. Pure speculation on my part re the chemistry, but we know that one of the best things you can do for longevity is not charge to as high a voltage.

Re the battery's raw materials etc., improved production methods should reduce wastage. Numbers I've seen from a few years back indicated a very high scrappage rate for pouch-cell batteries, somewhere between 25-50% IIRR. And then there were issues with capacity adjustment etc. which added to the costs. Those learning-curve improvements, along with volume increases, may be what has gotten us to the current price drops. The question is how close are we to the knee?

edatoakrun said:
He has stated numerous times in several interviews - what they intend to do for Gen3 - including quarterly financial analyst calls. You can check the transcripts. Nothing offhand about these.

I also noted battery manufacturing capacity questions and what Tesla is doing - which you have ignored.

Note here that Elon doesn't think it would be a cost issue - just a manufacturing capacity issue.

Andrea James - Dougherty & Company

When does the next generation of vehicle move up? Is it a timing thing? Is it a cost of the battery packing, the resources?

Elon Musk

You mean a high volume affordable cost?

Andrea James - Dougherty & Company

That's right.

Elon Musk

All right. So there is couple of, here is the thing, like as we think ahead to that vehicle, where we are allocating a little bit of time to do some of that advanced planning. It's only may be less than 5% but a sort of planning activity. But when you do the math on, saying "Okay. How many batteries do you need for, like what's the [capability], the raw materials all the elements?"

It's really quite a large number in order to ultimately [battery] that's producing 0.5 million vehicles a year. We saw it exceeding the entire laptop industry by a decent margin, so clearly new cell factories need to be built and we need to be smarter about the road shows going into Asia-Pac. I meant, I certainly see a clear path. I do not see obstacles. I see a fairly clear path to that vehicle. I have high confidence that we can create a compelling cog for around $35,000, compelling meaning a 200 mile range.

And, of course, there are a lot of other features that people have come to expect from Model S. Fewer things would be default features, so yes. I still feel pretty good about it. There is a huge amount of work, but no miracles required.

KJD said:
According to Yahoo auto page the volt is starting at $39,145 http://autos.yahoo.com/chevrolet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At 38 miles EV range that is just OVER 1,000 MSRP per mile of range.

200 mile range at 30,000 MSRP is just marketing BS. Nothing new here.

That page is out of date. Notice how it says for 2014 "MSRP Not Available". It should say $34,995.

="evnow"
...Note here that Elon doesn't think it would be a cost issue - just a manufacturing capacity issue...

"...I have high confidence that we can create a compelling cog for around $35,000, compelling meaning a 200 mile range..."

(Elon Musk)

“When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.”

H. L. Mencken

It might be useful to consider that neither GM or Tesla are making a profit by selling their BEVs/PHEVs today, at far higher price/EV range.

Neither is likely to be able to subsidize sales of a $30k-$35k "200 mile" BEV indefinitely, at much higher production levels.

General Motors Co. Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson...tweaked his rival a little. “We’ll sell more (Chevrolet) Volts and lose less money on the Volts than they’ll lose on the (Tesla) Model S,” Akerson said.

Tesla has turned a profit this year, but only because of the sale of California zero-emission vehicle credits and other credits...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130921/AUTO0103/309210027#ixzz2fZqsqLQs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back