GM : Still doesn't believe in EVs in the long term

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1087102_gm-ceo-cadillac-to-take-on-tesla-one-day--with-plug-in-hybrid-sedan-perhaps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CEO Dan Akerson told the Detroit News that General Motors will compete with Tesla Motors--"ultimately"--through its Cadillac luxury brand.

But, Akerson said, he remained unconvinced that battery-electric vehicles were "the panacea that I think the American public wants."

With the current range limitations in a modestly priced vehicle, it is hard to argue he is wrong... Until we have much better and cheaper batteries, pure EVs will likely remain a niche market...

evnow said:
CEO Dan Akerson told the Detroit News that General Motors will compete with Tesla Motors--"ultimately"--through its Cadillac luxury brand.
But, Akerson said, he remained unconvinced that battery-electric vehicles were "the panacea that I think the American public wants."

TomT said:
With the current range limitations in a modestly priced vehicle, it is hard to argue he is wrong... Until we have much better and cheaper batteries, pure EVs will likely remain a niche market...

evnow said:
Agree w/TomT's comments. Even with no-range anxiety issues w/(non-plugin) hybrids, per http://www.hybridcars.com/august-2013-dashboard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the hybrid take rate is only a sad 3.54%

This is despite hybrids having been on sale in the US since December 1999 (well, there was only the Insight, back then).

For hybrids, to this day, there's still the stupid CNW junk science that refuses to die that are in some people's minds. And, there are people who make a big deal about "payback" yet such things don't come into play when they get bigger engines, inefficient cars, BMWs, sunroofs, leather seats or worse, battering ram of class death SUVs (e.g. full-sized ones like Tahoes, Escalades, Yukons, Suburbans, Navigators, etc.)

TomT said:
It is not for today - the context is long term - "ultimately".

TomT said:
Well, ultimately, we will likely be driving something other than an ICE OR a battery EV...
Agreed, and someone poignantly said, in the long run we're all dead. While this type of long-term thinking is laudable, I'm personally much more interested in the here and now, and perhaps what could be done this decade. The currently available battery tech still falls short of expectations in many respects.

LTLFTcomposite said:
To be fair, Tesla's success is largely based on their ability to make the model s the latest fashion statement.
Same thing can be said about Apple products. That doesn't mean the engineering behind it is poor - infact it is very good. The engineered products do become fashion statements.

evnow said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
To be fair, Tesla's success is largely based on their ability to make the model s the latest fashion statement.
Same thing can be said about Apple products. That doesn't mean the engineering behind it is poor - infact it is very good. The engineered products do become fashion statements.
Oh I wasn't saying anything negative about the engineering. I was saying they have succeeded in creating something people want to be seen in, and it's working. That's a good thing. Remember the most important attribute of a vehicle to most people is what the owner thinks other people will think of them in it. If that weren't the case there wouldn't be any 2 door cars.

LTLFTcomposite said:
That's a good thing. Remember the most important attribute of a vehicle to most people is what the owner thinks other people will think of them in it.
That is probably true of premium cars - not really of the usual Honda civic or Toyota camry.

cwerdna said:
This is despite hybrids having been on sale in the US since December 1999 (well, there was only the Insight, back then).
EVs offer advantages hybrids don't. Things like vastly superior performance, ride, NHV, and handling. Hybrids are more or less only about better MPG and savings money. Tesla has shown that saving money is not necessarily even in the equation. The Tesla demographic is male and the attributes of the Model S mentioned most frequently are speed and cornering. The Model S is also clearly a status symbol, but it's interesting to note that at the other end of the spectrum GM is selling the Spark as a fun to drive car as well as an ECO econobox. That seems to be a winning approach but we'll have to see how it works out.

FWIW the title of this thread represents the OPs peculiar world view and not much else. If you've been paying attention it's clear that GM has totally bought into electrification. The issue for GM is how much or how little. The fact that EVs are not a panacea is fairly obvious -- just look at the price of the Model S or the battery degradation in the Leaf. We're still at the promising technology with many hurdles remaining stage.

SanDust said:
EVs offer advantages hybrids don't. Things like vastly superior performance, ride, NHV, and handling. Hybrids are more or less only about better MPG and savings money.

This. I don't care for the soul-sucking experience I get behind the wheel of a hybrid. Tesla has shown you can make an EV without compromises. I don't know what that has to do with sticking a Cadillac badge on a Volt, and that makes me a little sad for GM, especially since they probably have more EV and battery knowledge in house than Tesla.

Back