GOM is a Joke!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As battery capacity drops due to degradation, the error of the GOM will decrease, everything else being equal... Thus, it appears to be more accurate in terms of miles but percentage wise, it is really no different...

smkettner said:
I find the GOM is getting more accurate as the battery ages.

dgpcolorado said:
Klayfish said:
...BTW, how'd you get the center of your display screen split like that? I didn't even know it could do that.
I suppose that the 2013 display could be different but when I use cruise I always get the split screen with the efficiency meter. When the cruise is turned off the efficiency meter resumes taking up the entire display. My 2012 LEAF doesn't have the SOC display, so that isn't an option (and I have a Leaf DD that is much more useful anyway).
The one thing I want is to see the efficiency and SOC at the same time, all the time, so I can stop pressing the "next" button to see the SOC, then press the "next" button FIVE MORE TIMES to get back to the efficiency screen. That's a split screen I would like.

TomT said:
As battery capacity drops due to degradation, the error of the GOM will decrease, everything else being equal... Thus, it appears to be more accurate in terms of miles but percentage wise, it is really no different...

smkettner said:
I find the GOM is getting more accurate as the battery ages.

+1 yes, mine has a much smaller number errors at 3 bars than at 12 bars, but percentage wise its still swings wide.

oh and by the way. GOM is by definition a Joke! The real name of the display is DTE (Distance to Empty)....not Guess-O-Meter.

adric22 said:
But the GOM isn't telling you how far you can go. It is telling you how far you can go under recent driving conditions. If you continued to go downhill for 155 miles, then it would have been accurate.
And how is that useful information? Most people make round trips from home, they don't drive downhill for 155 miles; it isn't even possible in my terrain. And when I'm heading uphill the GOM and the nav system tell me that I can't make my destination — by a lot — even though I know perfectly well that I can do so.

As an indicator of range remaining — DTE — the GOM is absolutely, utterly, useless except, perhaps, for flatlanders with highly stable driving conditions. In which case you wouldn't need it anyway.

Staque said:
dgpcolorado said:
Klayfish said:
...BTW, how'd you get the center of your display screen split like that? I didn't even know it could do that.
I suppose that the 2013 display could be different but when I use cruise I always get the split screen with the efficiency meter.
The one thing I want is to see the efficiency and SOC at the same time, all the time, so I can stop pressing the "next" button to see the SOC, then press the "next" button FIVE MORE TIMES to get back to the efficiency screen. That's a split screen I would like.
+1
I end up pushing that button way too many times. (I know, LEAF DD or some such.) Of course my 2013 display is different because my S model has no cruise control, so no split screen.

Ray

dgpcolorado said:
Most people make round trips from home
That is an interesting idea. I presently record per-trip efficiency data to help estimate DTE but if most people, as you say, always charge from home it makes more sense to record statistics on the per-charge efficiency which, then, takes the round trip into account in this scenario. Now if we had access to the GPS data then we could collect efficiency statistics based on where you start your trip and potentially the direction of travel.

TickTock said:
That is an interesting idea. I presently record per-trip efficiency data to help estimate DTE but if most people, as you say, always charge from home it makes more sense to record statistics on the per-charge efficiency which, then, takes the round trip into account in this scenario. Now if we had access to the GPS data then we could collect efficiency statistics based on where you start your trip and potentially the direction of travel.
The reason I mentioned it, besides believing it to be true for the large majority of LEAF drivers, is that I consider it "unfair" to use a long downhill run for a range test.

Tony Williams codified this view by putting in a restriction for the hundred mile club that the run start and end at the same location. I could, for example, use a generator to charge my car at the top of a pass and then make a long downhill run to get to 200 km easily. But that isn't anything like the real world runs one normally does. If I am trying to figure out if I have enough charge to get home I need to average the effect of the hills (and wind, if any) on the route. Perhaps my perspective on the problem is different from that of the GOM fans because there aren't more than a half dozen miles of level terrain anywhere within LEAF range of where I live. (And the hill I usually use to get home maxes out at a 14% grade in one spot; it makes for a challenging bicycle commute.)

GOM shows 9 Miles left but according to the Leaf Energy App I have the following left:

1 fuel Bar: 14 miles
54 GIDs: 17 Miles
26.99 SOC: 20 Miles

Which of the following do you use? Fuel Bar, GIDs or SOC???

Fred

Back