Good deal on OEM Nissan 'Emergency' EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esounds

Our leaf was broken into and the thieves stole the EVSE that sits in the cargo area. A new one is around 1000$ from Nissan, anyone know of a cheaper place to buy one? Please note that our car is leased so we will need an OEM to return with the vehicle when we give it back.

Thanks!

esounds said:
Our leaf was broken into and the thieves stole the EVSE that sits in the cargo area. A new one is around 1000$ from Nissan, anyone know of a cheaper place to buy one? Please note that our car is leased so we will need an OEM to return with the vehicle when we give it back.

Thanks!

Shouldn't the insurance pay? You have full coverage since you leased. It is part of the car ... right?

esounds said:
Our leaf was broken into and the thieves stole the EVSE that sits in the cargo area.
Man, that sucks! Was it visible or was it covered by the tonneau cover?

It would really suck if thieves are just going around breaking into Leafs, thinking there's an EVSE in there (even if there isn't).

Shouldn't the insurance pay? You have full coverage since you leased. It is part of the car ... right?

Yeah they did, but our deductible was 500$ and we had to replace the back window that they smashed out with that. We got 1000$ for the charger (they said we could buy a cheaper one if we wanted) so it would be nice to recoup some of the deductible by purchasing a lower cost one if possible.

cwerdna said:
esounds said:
Our leaf was broken into and the thieves stole the EVSE that sits in the cargo area.
Man, that sucks! Was it visible or was it covered by the tonneau cover?

It would really suck if thieves are just going around breaking into Leafs, thinking there's an EVSE in there (even if there isn't).

It wasn't visible we were dumb and left stuff in the back while watching a movie and I guess someone thought it might be something of value... I didn't get a tenneau cover maybe I should have. At any rate all they got was a backpack full of dirty clothes.. And our EVSE of course, I'm wondering if thieves are going to start ripping them off. It seems like they would have to have known what it was otherwise they would have left it alone.

Post a want in the for sale wanted forum. There have been some for sale at good prices. None at the moment, however.

I know you said you wanted the OEM due to your lease.. but I would mention I've been using the Voltec L1 unit on my Leaf now for about 6 months. It seems to work pretty well with the Leaf and I think I have seen them online for around $300.
6a0133f3a4072c970b0153921e7690970b-400wi

Damn, Sorry this happened, The VOLTEC is cheaper..if you can get your hands on one. Clipper Creek sells the PCS-15 which is a Portable L1 EVSE for under $700. Leviton sells a L1 Portable EVSE with hook (to hang on wall) for around $849-899 at Homedepot/Lowes. and Legrand sells a EVSE similar to the look of the Voltec pictured above for around $499. Most of them will give you upto 1.4kWh charge time..maybe slightly more at 12-15amps. (typical wall plug)

Check out Plug In America's website --> http://www.pluginamerica.org/access...rice_value&sort=asc&type=All&level=1&nrtl=All to get more info.

Hope this works out for you, checking online auctions and local online listings helps too...people are always posting them up.

I would also periodically check ebay and your local Craigslist. CL more so because you may locate your stolen EVSE and catch the thieves. How gratifying would that be??? I wonder if they even know what it's for or what it's worth.

mazdaboi said:
Damn, Sorry this happened, The VOLTEC is cheaper..if you can get your hands on one. Clipper Creek sells the PCS-15 which is a Portable L1 EVSE for under $700. Leviton sells a L1 Portable EVSE with hook (to hang on wall) for around $849-899 at Homedepot/Lowes. and Legrand sells a EVSE similar to the look of the Voltec pictured above for around $499. Most of them will give you upto 1.4kWh charge time..maybe slightly more at 12-15amps. (typical wall plug)

Check out Plug In America's website --> http://www.pluginamerica.org/access...rice_value&sort=asc&type=All&level=1&nrtl=All to get more info.

Hope this works out for you, checking online auctions and local online listings helps too...people are always posting them up.
Well, good suggestions, but the OP needs the Panasonic unit supplied with the car, as he is leasing and needs it for the return. ;)

ebill3 said:
mazdaboi said:

Well, good suggestions, but the OP needs the Panasonic unit supplied with the car, as he is leasing and needs it for the return. ;)

Yes this maybe true. I would be interested in if they wanted the EXACT EVSE which was supplied or a similar product. I compare the EVSE like any other product which can be replaced...Tires, Brakes, Windows. They can't expect you to install the exact same overly priced tires on the car but as long as all the tires are matching, it should be fine. Again I am with OP, I Leased my LEAF as well...but would also like to know if the same panasonic EVSE is needed at time of "turn-in" or any L1 EVSE at the same specs will suffice.

Good point though.

esounds said:

Thanks!
You could try parts.com:
http://www.parts.com/parts/2012/NISSAN/LEAF/SV/index.cfm?searchText=296M1-3NA0A&siteid=2&year=2012&make=NISSAN&model=LEAF&submodel=SV&vehicleid=1501684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MSRP $934.82
Online price $698.77 (plus shipping)
I can't be absolutely sure this is it, but I believe it is. You could call and ask.

I believe the Nissan part number for the EVSE is 296M1-3NA0A so if the link above doesn't work you could try searching the site for that.

I would like to think you could meet the Lease end requirements with any equivalent EVSE; however, it wouldn't surprise me if the Dearler checking in the car at the end of the lease would be looking for all sorts of excuses to charge extra fees. I really don't know, because my Leaf is my first ever car lease.

I sure think the Voltek and the Clipper Creek are nice in that the body acts as a cord real too. Have even been thinking of how I might retrofit the Nissan L1 EVSE with some ears to serve as a cord reel too.

@ dgpcolorado - Great find!

@ NoMoShocks - Yeah thats true, This is my first LEASE as well. I guess the real answer is pay now or pay later for the EVSE. Ill actually ask my dealer tomorrow (might drive by and ask them) what their policy is/or Nissans's as its not stated within the lease. Another thing to note is...What if the new MY13's have a higher speed/rate charger. Maybe the current L1 will drop in cost or be able to pick up a newer one at the same cost as the current generation. (plus it may go unchanged....)

Just thoughts...

My concern about this was valid.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3344&hilit=evse+theft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's basically old days stereo theft for thieves, only this time it's easier to steal...

My buddy has clipper creek units for $375. They work great, but can't be upgraded to 240v, and look very different; hard to say if they will care when you turn it in after the lease...

Nate

ebill3 said:
]Well, good suggestions, but the OP needs the Panasonic unit supplied with the car, as he is leasing and needs it for the return. ;)
Yep. For the lease return, I don't think he'd be able to get away w/returning it w/o the Nissan branded Panasonic L1 EVSE, unless he wants to be charged for it.

Back