Got a bar back

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafPD

Hey all, new member and Leaf owner here. We just got a 2015 S with 40k miles and absolutely no options, not even the charge package which most cars for sale seem to have. But we love it, it's in terrific shape, and the charge schedule works for us. We only use it for errands around town and it's perfect for that. Here's my question: The car shows 12 bars, but I know not for long--LeafSpy showed SoH at 85.3% the day we bought it three weeks ago. We installed a L2 charger in the garage, and just for fun, the first time we used it we charged to 100% just to see what the range would be (it was 77 miles). No, we won't do this regularly. The first time I drove it after the charge, the bars had dropped to 11. I was sort of bummed but not surprised. I was surprised, though, when the next time I drove it, the bar had returned. Is this typical? I don't expect that 12th bar to last long but I'll admit I like it that way :D

Welcome to the forum. It's not unheard of to have a bar take a couple of extra bows before exiting the stage permanently. The battery in the 2015s is the best that Nissan made prior to 2018, and your Leaf is a good example. Very few Leafs made before 2016 have a solid 12 bars, and some have even dropped to 10 bars. Enjoy your runabout.

It is not so unusual for Leafs in colder climate areas like here in Norway to have 12 bars even if they are made before 2016. My 2014 is still solid at 12 bars and around 90 % SOH. At least the facelift cars from 2013 appears to hold up well. The 30 kWh-cars does seem to loose capacity a little faster though.

AFAIK, Nissan has never replaced a battery under warranty in Norway.

kaiat said:
It is not so unusual for Leafs in colder climate areas like here in Norway to have 12 bars even if they are made before 2016. My 2014 is still solid at 12 bars and around 90 % SOH. At least the facelift cars from 2013 appears to hold up well. The 30 kWh-cars does seem to loose capacity a little faster though.

AFAIK, Nissan has never replaced a battery under warranty in Norway.

Yes, I am aware that in most of Europe and in the UK there are many 12 bar Leafs. I should have specified "In the US."

Well, our car is back down to 11 bars, probably for good. BTW LeftieBiker, I was slow to respond but I have to chime in with all the members who are grateful for your "things you really need to know" thread. We made what I think is a great purchase and we couldn't have done it without you. Thanks!

Back