Got Trees?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossyleaf

Ok so I had just about the worst drive home imaginable yesterday evening, but with one upside...
IMAG0581.jpg

I have the decals, just no HOV lane between Escondido and Temecula.

I haven't seen this done by anyone else yet. Has it been? I may have 2 records, the most trees on a display and the most miles on the guess-o-meter
IMAG0334.jpg

mossyleaf said:
I haven't seen this done by anyone else yet. Has it been? I may have 2 records, the most trees on a display and the most miles on the guess-o-meter
IMAG0334.jpg

Somebody hit 5 trees, but I don't recall if it was on here or on the Nissan LEAF Facebook page. One or the other though, for sure.

mwalsh said:
mossyleaf said:
IMAG0334.jpg

Somebody hit 5 trees, but I don't recall if it was on here or on the Nissan LEAF Facebook page. One or the other though, for sure.

My best is 4 trees (posted on my FB page).

Highest economy over one charge; 4.8m/kWh over 94 miles.

Highest trip economy: 7.7m/kWh over 8 miles.

Highest ever on a flat closed course; over 8.0 m/kWh at 12 mph

mossyleaf said:

Awesome! I was wondering, what variables go into the ring around the tree-builder? I never quite understood why sometimes it is full, sometimes it's half, etc. And what correlation does it have to actually building a tree?

mossyleaf said:
I haven't been able to figure it out either. Any thoughts?... :?:

I wish Nissan would have stuck that "tree builder" up where the sun doesn't shine. What good is it for the driver? IMHO, it's just another useless gimmick. They could use that area to display something useful----maybe like the distance to the nearest open charging station, or an ACCURATE battery SOC? :(

I think it was in response to the Fusion Hybrid. Once one does it it kind of sets a standard. They make leaves, well then we'll just make trees! And so on...

I got the five trees when I did my hypermiling tests at speeds between 9 and 24 mph. The growth rate seems to be related to the energy you are consuming compared to the energy you would be consuming in an ICE. So sitting at a light is rewarded even though you aren't getting anywhere. Likewise, being stuck in stop and go traffic generates lots of trees.

Which actually makes the trees even more stupid since it results in poor efficiency and a low M/KWh figure...
TickTock said:
So sitting at a light is rewarded even though you aren't getting anywhere. Likewise, being stuck in stop and go traffic generates lots of trees.

mossyleaf said:

LOL, where have you been Leon? I had '138' on the GOM in ECO which is my highest, but it doesn't mean much. What matters is your actual SOC%/m/kW h and I hit 9.1 on a 15 mile loop @ 15mph (in Sept.). I also obtained 7.1m/kWh on a regular 15 mile trip. For those drivers that signed up for the 'rankings' in Oct., I was #1 in m/kW h in the U.S. and 11th in the world. Only ten Japanese drivers were ahead of me. In case people don't know, Japan's speed limit on most of their roads is 45kilometers/28mph so that explains their high m/kW h. If I could go that slow here, I would be in first place in the world rankings! :mrgreen:

TickTock said:
I got the five trees when I did my hypermiling tests at speeds between 9 and 24 mph. The growth rate seems to be related to the energy you are consuming compared to the energy you would be consuming in an ICE. So sitting at a light is rewarded even though you aren't getting anywhere. Likewise, being stuck in stop and go traffic generates lots of trees.

I stopped getting excited about the trees when I realized they grow even faster if you just park the car and leave it on... as in dropping the kids of at their respective day cares, I just leave the car on, lock it and when I get back in, the tree has grown. It's also kind of annoying that you loose partial trees if you do a bunch of errands.

Nice tree growth. I am using and want to promote the Hash-Tag #TrafficTree on Twitter for when we grow trees because we're sitting in traffic. After less than a week with my LEAF I'm getting about 3.7 mi/kWh during my mostly-highway 72-mile commute and charge to 80% over night so far and then again at a trickle at work. So today, 3 #TrafficTree ; we'll see if I can reach 5 without the lazy park and grow cheat. :)

But since I'm usually highway driving I'll probably never do better than 4.0 mi/kWh so it's just as well I don't compete. Man, though, I love Cruise Control and ECO mode! :)

I love that the fastest way to build trees is to put the car in D (or Eco) and then go nowhere. It will build copious trees as you sit there slowly depleting the battery and moving not a foot. Yep, that IS true driving efficiency!

I built 5 trees when stuck in a traffic jam that took me an hour to go just over two miles and used a bar of battery with an average M/Kwh of about 1.9... Oh, and Climate Control was on. The trees are too stupid to even be silly!

I'm not bothered by it once I reset my expection to not be a tool to promote efficient driving, but rather, a tool to show how much CO2 emmisions you are saving by not driving an ICE. Had you driven your old car (unless it was a hybrid) you would have dumped a lot of pollution and CO2 into the env. on that traffic jam. It's in these slow traffic conditions that the environmental aspect of the Leaf really shines.

Back