Gratitude

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertDenizen

I pull up to a red light today, right next to another blue Leaf. Young blond in other Leaf looks over, we smile and give each other a thumbs up. Would have made a nice tv ad. Life is good.

Maybe not the right topic, but wanted to share this interesting anecdote here:

So over the weekend, a right wing leaning, Fox News fan, friend of mine visits me. The moment he found out that I bought an EV, starts his wise cracks peppered with 'Golf cart on steroids', 'Obamacar', 'Car stamps' (akin to food stamps for tax credits), 'tree hugger', etc.. He hasn't heard of Nissan Leaf, and the only thing he knew was these things catch on fire randomly and wanted to know if I have a fire extinguisher handy in the trunk.

I just asked him if he would like a test drive. The next 10 minutes are priceless.

'Is the engine is On and running, but no sound ? How come it so quiet?'

I just said, step on the pedal

'Man this is so zippy', 'this is so smooth', 'Glides as if on glass'. The shocked bewildered look on his face was priceless. I wish I had recorded the whole episode. Gets on the freeway and before he knows is at 70 mph, takes a 10 mile trip back home, all the while gushing about the way it drives.

Then the questions start: "How much did you end paying? How much was the credit? How do you charge it? What is the range ?"

"What only $30 to drive 1200 miles? Really.. I don't believe you.."

yada yada..

DesertDenizen said:
I pull up to a red light today, right next to another blue Leaf. Young blond in other Leaf looks over, we smile and give each other a thumbs up. Would have made a nice tv ad. Life is good.
Yesterday, I pulled in front of another blue Leaf on the 405 (her license - 2BELEAF, not sure if she is on mynissanleaf). She flashed headlights at me, I waved and gave thumbs up. This morning I saw a young woman in a black Leaf, but couldn't catch her eye. Our ranks are growing!

Great story, mkjayakumar. Yeah, it's too bad there's so much misinformation, lack of knowledge along w/reasons for people thinking that EVs are totally ruled out for them. If there were only people who were past these blocks and willing to take test drives..

Back to salutes and all, when I had a 350Z, we Z owners would usually give a thumbs up to each other.

Perhaps Leaf owners should do the same or there should be some "official" salute...

DesertDenizen said:
Well done mkjayakumar. How does one win people over? One at a time, one at a time.
+1 Exactly. Talked with a Ram Diesel truck owner recently, he puts over $100 in his tank twice a week. That's $800 a month as a business owner. He was floored when I mentioned my $17.78 in electricity usage for the month of March.

I was cruising home the other day when a red Volt merged onto the freeway. He caught up with me, followed for a short while, probably checking out my ELECTRIC tag and personalized plate, then pulled into the lane next to me for a mutual thumbs up. Then we went our separate ways, both smiling and a bit happier for the encounter.

Back