Great way to get a 220V home charging station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollbock

We leased our LEAF about 2 weeks ago and the dealer suggested that we convert the charge cord by sending it in to evseupgrade.com. We were a bit worried since without the cord we would be dependent on charging stations. On Monday I sent the cord in (after paying for the upgrade online) and Thursday, the cord was back! Before the upgrade charging took all night on a 110V circuit. When we got the cord back and plugged it into the 220V circuit I borrowed from the dryer, the char charged in about 2 1/2 hours. Very impressive. I am not the owner where I live so I didn't want to invest in a charging station that involves permits, expensive electricians and an expensive charging station. I was able to run 3 #10 wires from the dryer plug to the outside of the house through a vent and into a small shed where I keep the charge cord. I attached a dryer plug to the wire I ran under the house and when I want to use the dryer (we have a clothesline) I pull out the car plug and plug in the dryer plug. This way I won't be able to overload the circuit. Also, when I move, bringing my charging system with me will be easy. For about $450.00 I was able to do the entire charge system including getting adapters for the charge cord that will let me charge at other peoples houses from either a 110V or 220V system. The turnaround from evseupgrade was amazing and I would highly recommend their service. One thing that had kept me away from getting a LEAF was the high cost of getting a charge station installed. These guys have solved that problem very gracefully.

Good to hear and welcome! Phil, the engineer behind evseupgrade.com, is a regular on this forum.

Phil's handle here is Ingineer, with over 2500 posts.
When he posts, we pay attention.

I have two of his first generation upgrades, and will be sending
one in to get the variable Control Pilot (charging amps) mod.
Yes, a great service.

I've got a ZEV electric scooter as well as the LEAF and I am wondering what type of EV Bike you have??

Can somebody provide URLs to the OP's items that he bought. I'd be interested as well. Just as long as I can still use it in a standard 110 outlet.

Lasareath said:
Can somebody provide URLs to the OP's items that he bought. I'd be interested as well. Just as long as I can still use it in a standard 110 outlet.
Sure thing! I believe that it's the following item from evseupgrade.com:

EVSE Upgrade for 2013 Nissan LEAF (high-power)
newownermnl

mwalsh said:
garygid said:
Yes, a great service.
Wait. How did I miss this? Is this something he's currently doing? I'm guessing it's variable between 12a and 16a?
It's all on the website. Actually he's making the 2011-2011 EVSEs variable from 6a-12a@120v, 6a-16a@240v. The 2013 EVSEs he's doing 6a-16a@120v, 6a-20a@240v. What I hadn't heard was that he was updating people's older upgrades yet.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dollbock said:
We leased our LEAF about 2 weeks ago and the dealer suggested that we convert the charge cord by sending it in to evseupgrade.com.
Am I the only one that caught this? Now even the Nissan dealers are referring customers to Phil! Maybe the manufacturer will just have all the cords updated by Phil before they leave the factory. ;) :lol: Hey, Phil are you moving to TN? :lol:

Reddy said:
dollbock said:
We leased our LEAF about 2 weeks ago and the dealer suggested that we convert the charge cord by sending it in to evseupgrade.com.
Am I the only one that caught this? Now even the Nissan dealers are referring customers to Phil! Maybe the manufacturer will just have all the cords updated by Phil before they leave the factory. ;) :lol: Hey, Phil are you moving to TN? :lol:
Yes! I just didn't want to come across as inquisitive or presumptious (I'm likely both). Anyway, Phil deserves the kudos (and referrals)!

davewill said:
mwalsh said:
garygid said:
Yes, a great service.
Wait. How did I miss this? Is this something he's currently doing? I'm guessing it's variable between 12a and 16a?
It's all on the website. Actually he's making the 2011-2011 EVSEs variable from 6a-12a@120v, 6a-16a@240v. The 2013 EVSEs he's doing 6a-16a@120v, 6a-20a@240v. What I hadn't heard was that he was updating people's older upgrades yet.
I just sent them an email the other day and they say that they aren't yet taking units back to get the adjustable current mod... Don't know what it will cost to have that done to an existing EVSEupgrade, either...

My original V1 was upgraded a month ago to 16a with the variable pilot signal and it works perfect.
I needed the low power L1 in one location and it works just as expected.

I think the production is getting overloaded so there could be a wait for an opening.

well, there is another catch! With this option our deal said that if we don't return the cord as it was when we got the Leaf, it would cost us about $900 (because basically you are returning the car without its original power cord).
Does anyone have a suggestion about this? We basically save now (which is what i wanted to by changing my power cord), but then have to pay much more at the time lease of over.

CZleaf said:
well, there is another catch! With this option our deal said that if we don't return the cord as it was when we got the Leaf, it would cost us about $900 (because basically you are returning the car without its original power cord).
Does anyone have a suggestion about this? We basically save now (which is what i wanted to by changing my power cord), but then have to pay much more at the time lease of over.

Swap it with someone on here who doesn't have the upgrade just before you go to return the car. There is always someone looking to get the upgrade done that hasn't yet.

CZleaf said:

My dealer told me about Ingineer's program and recommended it which is a full 180 from what yours said. He does offer a free exchange program to go back to the old style but as long as you have the 5-15p adapter, there isn't much they can say with you turning in the modified one.

Reddy said:
dollbock said:

Yeah I saw that too and I'm still smiling.
+1~ Phil

Back