Happy New EV, well my 2014 Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streethawk

Hi Everyone, just bought my 2014 Nissan leaf, 24kw Accenta, absolutely love it. Just wondered if, and how I could enable Carwings?, is this still possible, any help would be amazing.

It is a similar thing that uses more modern 4G network. Open Vehicle Monitor System, or something close to that. I requires removal of the OEM hardware (or at least disconnecting it) and installation of hardware. Not impossible but not a software install either.
Depends on your comfort level working on the Leaf's systems.

It's not so much that Nissan pulled the plug, it's that the rest of the world moved on to 4G and then 5G and the hardware that came in the older cars was no longer compatible or able to communicate with cellular networks.
And... that's the extent of my understanding of any number of Gs, as I don't even own a cell phone.

Thanks @Stanton , the work involved seems too complex for my skills etc. I have however treated the top of the strut nuts as this is a known weak point. All treated now and caps fitted. Also treated some light corrosion under the bonnet. Any other weak areas that need treatment?, I've heard the reduction gear oil is a must to be replaced, as this gets overlooked, any comments regarding this would be great.

Replacing gearbox oil is straightforward and probably easier than changing an ICE car's motor oil. I just used the Nissan product after over thinking it for a few days on our 2014 S. Get new crush washers.
Not unique to Leafs by any means, I find many car owners have a blind spot when it comes to replacing brake fluid as the moisture it absorbs can damage a brake system and mitigate its performance. Nissan recommends an annual change. Some manufacturers say every two years. I try to replace the brake fluid in our cars every 3 yrs or so as we live in a desert.

Last edited:
I've heard the reduction gear oil is a must to be replaced, as this gets overlooked, any comments regarding this would be great.
Reduction gear replacement is generally based on mileage (and you didn't state your mileage).
There are some excellent threads/guides on this in the forum; if the forum search doesn't work, try Google (and look for AVS Forum posts).

The mileage is 72k on a 2014- 24kw version. I saw a video on YT showing a magnet with all the crud from the bottom of the sump. I think Nissan just inspect the fluid, as when I queried it with my local dealer, they said they don't replace it, only unless you specifically requested for it to be done.

Hi Everyone, just bought my 2014 Nissan leaf, 24kw Accenta, absolutely love it. Just wondered if, and how I could enable Carwings?, is this still possible, any help would be amazing.
As you say you have an Accenta, I will assume that you are located in Europe? If so, the 2G network (not 3G on that generation Leaf) may still be functioning. I am located in Norway and still have functional Carwings. The 2G network will be closed down here around 2025, so it is on its last leg though.

Back