Hard Lesson for Wife - Don't Run Down the 12V Battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightmb

It's night time, freezing outside, and my wife pulls into a QC station to charge. She gets the QC session going, then cranks up the heat to like 85F on the climate control (no joking), leaves the seat and wheel heater on, turns on the radio, reclines back to relax..... and falls asleep :lol:

Anyway, the during that nap, the Leaf does a QC all the way to 100% and stops, but... she's asleep. So, all the accessories are left running (heaters, all the outside lights, headlights, climate control fan on near high setting, radio, etc.) for about half an hour, I'm not really sure how long and basically kills the 12V battery. So she wakes up freezing in a "dark" car and can't get it to start. She then tries to troubleshoot this on her phone via social media :roll: and after an hour of trying to do this, she finally breaks down and calls me.... in a panic of course because she was too embarrassed (or prideful?) to call me as soon as she had an issue. :x

At this point, she has the hood up on the Leaf because she is trying to find some wires to pull out or disconnect or something, have no idea what she is trying to do (over the phone explaining all this of course) and finally I ask her, "do you have any cabin lights?". She responds "yes", so I say "well at least it's not completely dead yet". I tell her to plug the Leaf back in and start another QC session. She argues that the car is already charged to 100% and doesn't understand why nothing is working. I explain again, that the 12V battery is dead, not the "big" battery that drives the car. I have her start another QC session (which won't last long since it's just going to balance the cells maybe for a few minutes) and get back in the car and "turn everything off" while the QC session is going. She does that to make sure nothing is trying to "power up" at the same time as she is trying to "start" the Leaf. So she turns off everything (even the all the cabin lights). I then instruct her, now go stop the QC session and then try to start the car as quickly as possible as the QC should have charged the 12V at least enough to get it to start now.
Just like that, it just "barely" starts up and gets going. When you drive the Leaf long enough, you are accustomed to the "thump thump" noise for the relays, I could hear over the phone, it was a slow "thump............thump" and then it started. :? I told her she was lucky this time!

So now my wife has a lovely "EV Start Failure" on the Dash and a Check Engine(EV?) light. I told her I could fix that later with LeafSpy, but since the 12V battery was completely drained and it's freezing outside, it's only going to trickle charge the 12V and she might have the same problem again. I told her when she gets to her destination, just turn everything off (Accessory, Climate Control wise), lock the doors and leave Leaf on for a couple of hours. She decides to leave it on "overnight" instead. :lol: Better safe than sorry I guess. :mrgreen:

Let that be a warning to others when falling asleep in the Leaf while charging and you have all the accessories going during the middle of the night in winter. 🔌

She's lucky she's married to a Leaf expert. Nice work on getting the car started again!

Maybe for Christmas Santa will bring her one of those 12V booster packs. :mrgreen:

goldbrick said:
She's lucky she's married to a Leaf expert. Nice work on getting the car started again!

Maybe for Christmas Santa will bring her one of those 12V booster packs. :mrgreen:
This is the third time that it has happened. I'm convinced the previous 2 times is what killed the FLA battery before I replaced it with the Lithium. I'm glad you mentioned that because that's exactly what I am going to do now. :x

She loves her Leaf and loves to show off to her friends by driving an EV, but she just does not want to take the time (or care?) to learn about the more technical stuff. :roll: The last "incident" was when one of her tires got a slow puncture and was leaking air. It made the dash "low tire pressure" alert come on. She then spent another hour trying to figure out which tire was low. She finally called me to ask and had no idea that you could see it on the dash right under the speed screen. :roll: :cry: :roll: :(

Nubo said:
So is your house at 85F full-time, or this was just a special treat for her? :lol:

Actually, quite the opposite, we try to keep it between 68F and 70F, and she does complain about it a lot as being too cold, but me and the rest of the kids out vote her. I guess she likes to make it up by basically roasting inside her Leaf all the time. :lol: When she called me, I asked her what temperature she had her climate control set at, it was literally 85F. I did a palm smack loud enough so she could hear it over the phone. :lol: I asked her why and she just likes to bake in the Leaf I guess. I told her that's why she only averages 2.0 m/kWh on her drives :roll: That and she likes to drive it around like it's a sport car or something. Driving efficient is definitely not what she intends to practice. :|

On a side note, I was able to confirm a suspicion about low 12V behavior on her 2018 (which matches what my 2020 does) and is different than how our previous Gen 1 Leaf worked.

On our previous Gen 1 Leaf, you could run the Accessory until the 12V battery was so depleted, the car computer would die, no lights, nothing, completely dead. On the Gen 2 Leaf, what they do now is, when the battery reaches 10.5 V, it shuts off the accessory mode. That is what was happening to her, the Leaf was running a lot of accessory loads until the battery hit 10.5 V and then it just shut off (like when you press the power button to turn it off). So when she woke up, she was pressing the Accessory button first to bring it all back up, which would deplete the battery again and it would just turn off immediately. Then she tried to just "Start" with the correct way, press in Brake Pedal, press power button and there was not enough power left to start it. So the Leaf would show the "EV Start Failure" on the dash. She kept trying to do this over and over, it wouldn't start, but the battery was not totally dead yet as the Dash was still working. So the car computer was still functional at least.

She got on her phone to troubleshoot and thanks to *social media* she opened up the hood and was trying to find a way to disconnect the 12V battery to (reboot it) I guess? :lol: I explained to her this wasn't a Microsoft Windows crash, the the 12V battery was dead and needed to be charged up, at least enough to turn the Leaf back on properly.

Regardless, I picked up an "EverStart EL224" from Walmart today, which is just a small, portable Lithium powered jump starter. It was the cheapest thing around for "peak amps" but for the Leaf, just a few hundred watts is all it needs to start, so more than enough for safety reasons for her. :cool:

Another reason I don't QC (L3)!
She could have slept for hours on L2 and the charging session wouldn't have finished...

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe she needs an RV type setup, with a second, switched, 12 volt battery.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The cheap jump starter I bought her will have to do. I did play around with it on mine before I put it in the hidden boot in the back in her Leaf. It works pretty well, puts out 15 volts until the little phone battery it in dies. Plenty of power to start a Leaf many times, I tested it on mine first because I was curious as to how powerful it is. :)

After testing out some various things on my wife's 2018, I think I'll have to eat some crow for some of the things I said earlier in this topic. :oops:

I thought that if you have the second ACC mode, I call it ready mode, not really sure what the official name is for it, but when you press the power button twice without the break pedal to bring up the dash and other controls without actually turning on the traction battery. Anyway, if you have this ready mode active, I thought it would let you run down the 12V battery to nothing (because ACC mode does), but it turns out that what worked on the Gen 1, still works on the Gen 2. Basically, with nothing plugged into the charging ports, if the battery gets down below 10.5V, it will engage the traction battery to provide power to the 12V system and charge the 12V battery back up. You'll get the single blue blinking light on the top of the dash when it does this. So it's identical to what the Gen 1 Leaf would do also.

What causes this NOT to happen is when the QC plug is left in the Leaf. Then I suppose, some safety feature won't let the traction battery relay switch on while the QC port has something in it and not charging. Makes sense from a safety standpoint.

I then tested this in my 2020 by just running as many accessories as possible (which for these Lithium 12V batteries takes turning on every heater and fan possible) to get the battery voltage to fall down to under 10.5V
Just like magic, I hear the relays engage and now the traction battery is powering the 12V system.

What it means is that my wife found a way to "defeat" this feature and probably would have been fine "falling" asleep with the accessories running if the QC was not still plugged into the Leaf. Anyway, I like being the hero so I just won't tell her. :twisted:

It's night time, freezing outside, and my wife pulls into a QC station to charge. She gets the QC session going, then cranks up the heat to like 85F on the climate control (no joking), leaves the seat and wheel heater on, turns on the radio, reclines back to relax..... and falls asleep :lol:

Anyway, the during that nap, the Leaf does a QC all the way to 100% and stops, but... she's asleep. So, all the accessories are left running (heaters, all the outside lights, headlights, climate control fan on near high setting, radio, etc.) for about half an hour, I'm not really sure how long and basically kills the 12V battery. So she wakes up freezing in a "dark" car and can't get it to start. She then tries to troubleshoot this on her phone via social media :roll: and after an hour of trying to do this, she finally breaks down and calls me.... in a panic of course because she was too embarrassed (or prideful?) to call me as soon as she had an issue. :x

At this point, she has the hood up on the Leaf because she is trying to find some wires to pull out or disconnect or something, have no idea what she is trying to do (over the phone explaining all this of course) and finally I ask her, "do you have any cabin lights?". She responds "yes", so I say "well at least it's not completely dead yet". I tell her to plug the Leaf back in and start another QC session. She argues that the car is already charged to 100% and doesn't understand why nothing is working. I explain again, that the 12V battery is dead, not the "big" battery that drives the car. I have her start another QC session (which won't last long since it's just going to balance the cells maybe for a few minutes) and get back in the car and "turn everything off" while the QC session is going. She does that to make sure nothing is trying to "power up" at the same time as she is trying to "start" the Leaf. So she turns off everything (even the all the cabin lights). I then instruct her, now go stop the QC session and then try to start the car as quickly as possible as the QC should have charged the 12V at least enough to get it to start now.
Just like that, it just "barely" starts up and gets going. When you drive the Leaf long enough, you are accustomed to the "thump thump" noise for the relays, I could hear over the phone, it was a slow "thump............thump" and then it started. :? I told her she was lucky this time!

So now my wife has a lovely "EV Start Failure" on the Dash and a Check Engine(EV?) light. I told her I could fix that later with LeafSpy, but since the 12V battery was completely drained and it's freezing outside, it's only going to trickle charge the 12V and she might have the same problem again. I told her when she gets to her destination, just turn everything off (Accessory, Climate Control wise), lock the doors and leave Leaf on for a couple of hours. She decides to leave it on "overnight" instead. :lol: Better safe than sorry I guess. :mrgreen:

Let that be a warning to others when falling asleep in the Leaf while charging and you have all the accessories going during the middle of the night in winter. 🔌

The cheap jump starter I bought her will have to do. I did play around with it on mine before I put it in the hidden boot in the back in her Leaf. It works pretty well, puts out 15 volts until the little phone battery it in dies.

15 volts seems a little high to me if you're using a LiFePO4 12V battery. Maximum voltage for a LiFePO4 cell is 3.65V and there should be 4 cells in series. 15V / 4 = 3.75V.

I suppose it'll be fine though as long as the LiFePO4 12V battery is depleted and the 15V jump starter is only a small phone battery -- the jump starter should deplete long before the LiFePO4 can charge back up to full. But if the wife ever tries "jump starting" a full 12V LiFePO4 for whatever ill-conceived reason...

Back