Hard to Believe:Young Women With Such Bad Etiquette @station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you, changed to women, however I still don't know how to deal with this kind of situation next time.

After politely asked (but I did not have the camera to show for this situation), and after politely explained the technical aspect (without camera to show) to the young women (I thought younger and female person would not be familiar with the technical theories), since I also went there to shoot some videos as I have did many already, I decided just video taping it (that is what you see in this video). Maybe there was shaming there because I was running out of other polite options, but I certainly did not lose my temper. Maybe I could move to a more expensive charger, I know a lot of you would do that, but I did not. Maybe that was a bad decision, but I make many bad decisions in my life and hopefully I learn (and show other people) from my mistakes.

thankyouOB said:
davewill said:
If I were a young woman and some guy with a camera in my face tried to tell me I was hurting my battery by charging, I'd probably want to say anything that would make him go away. I don't believe that it will hurt the battery, and they probably didn't either...and since you tried to scare them with that, they probably discounted everything else you said, too.

Next time just ask politely...and if it doesn't work, wait politely...don't put them on YouTube and make shocked comments. Any kind of time limit has be programmed in, you simply won't get general, spontaneous observance of a made up etiquette rule.

I agree with what you say here about this incident and the shaming, with regard to how to responsibly deal with people with whom you disagree or whose behavior you want to affect.

also, the author might reflect on his choice of words in calling the women "young girls."

I see, you wanted an EV because of EV's fast acceleration? I guess some people would do that, but it got to be the minority. I assume most people wanted an EV because
1. save time (the carpool lane)
2. save money (if you have low cost charging).
3. it's cool (I am too old for that ;-) )

In this case, when it requires more time and cost more money, only a minority of users would use EV due to either environment or other reasons ;-)

desiv said:
fetv said:
I agree with you it is worth it because it is good for the environment. But at $0.59/KWH and 30 minutes wait, you may try once as I did but will not try it again.
No.. I will do it again...
I don't do it often, but I do it from time to time...
It's just currently the cost of owing an EV, and I'm OK with that...
I'm glad it's good for the environment, but i got an EV because I wanted an EV, not to save the planet. ;-)

desiv

fetv said:
I see, you wanted an EV because of EV's fast acceleration?
No.. Not a fast driver at all..

Maybe it was the slot cars growing up.. Or the SciFi I read and watched. ;-)

I am saving money (I drive a LOT), and I'm glad it's good for the environment.
But those aren't the real reasons I went EV.

I don't actually think people think it's cool in general. But I do, and that's what matters to me.. ;-)
I also don't think you can be too old to think something's cool. I'm no spring chicken.. ;-)

desiv

fetv said:
I see, you wanted an EV because of EV's fast acceleration? I guess some people would do that, but it got to be the minority. I assume most people wanted an EV because
Wow; traffic congestion in the nomal lanes is so bad that it motivates people who otherwise wouldn't to buy an EV!

Golly!

How bad would it have to get before it motivated people to carpool?

Random, somewhat-solicited observations:

1. The psychology of "free" is quite fascinating*, isn't it? And makes people behave in odd ways, even if it costs them time.
  2. OTOH, the psychology of "woe is me" is also fascinating, " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . . " . . . " . . ..
    i.e., How much time and effort did it require to produce and edit these videos, the charts, upload to YouTube, write up this post and monitor the thread, etc.? I hope you did most of it while you were waiting for the young women to leave! :)
  3. I can understand the psychology of saving time, but the carpool privilege played a negligible role in my decision to get the Leaf, and I suspect that it was a tiny factor overall, on average, for most buyers. (I'm sure there are surveys somewhere... here or at PluginAmerica, surely.

* even if it costs $2k or more, as in the case of Tesla's supercharger network. ;-)

mbender said:
<snip>
[*]I can understand the psychology of saving time, but the carpool privilege played a negligible role in my decision to get the Leaf, and I suspect that it was a tiny factor overall, on average, for most buyers. (I'm sure there are surveys somewhere... here or at PluginAmerica, surely.
Around here, the stickers are a major sales factor, especially for PiPs. There have been anecdotal reports of people getting them who have never plugged them in, and who never had any intention of doing so. There are quite a few used around here as taxis, which may or may not make financial sense for operational costs compared to a regular Prius, but certainly does for saving time.

in this case, what is your recommendation? (note that the polite asking was done first, but I can't show it here because it was not video taped).

smkettner said:
Carrying a video camera to record a random request is also bad form IMO.
I would probably tell the weirdo to get lost if he puts a camera in my face.

I agree.
In addition, since you are saving time twice a day, you are not as tired and stressed, and I bet you will have fewer accidents.

GRA said:
mbender said:
<snip>
[*]I can understand the psychology of saving time, but the carpool privilege played a negligible role in my decision to get the Leaf, and I suspect that it was a tiny factor overall, on average, for most buyers. (I'm sure there are surveys somewhere... here or at PluginAmerica, surely.
Around here, the stickers are a major sales factor, especially for PiPs. There have been anecdotal reports of people getting them who have never plugged them in, and who never had any intention of doing so. There are quite a few used around here as taxis, which may or may not make financial sense for operational costs compared to a regular Prius, but certainly does for saving time.

2. ironic isn't it? Hope with all the time wasted, it can bring awareness and reduce future conflicts.

mbender said:
[*]OTOH, the psychology of "woe is me" is also fascinating, " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . " . . . . " . . . " . . ..
i.e., How much time and effort did it require to produce and edit these videos, the charts, upload to YouTube, write up this post and monitor the thread, etc.? I hope you did most of it while you were waiting for the young women to leave! :)

1. You are saving time twice a day. Some engineers prefer to go to work late and come back late, but they will not have family dinner together, they will regret when you are old for not spending time with their family. I have dinner with my family carpooling with people in the past and now I got EV the week after my carpool no longer want to carpool.
2. Twice a day, if each time is 15 minutes, then you save 30 minutes a day. If it is 30 minute saving each way, then you save 1 hour per day.
3. save time on no oil change.
4. you are not as tired and stressed, and I bet you will have fewer accidents.
5. the assumption: you don't waste time to charge at home or at work. Don't go to the airport with EV like I did :)

Levenkay said:
fetv said:
Wow; traffic congestion in the nomal lanes is so bad that it motivates people who otherwise wouldn't to buy an EV!

Golly!

How bad would it have to get before it motivated people to carpool?

fetv said:
in this case, what is your recommendation? (note that the polite asking was done first, but I can't show it here because it was not video taped).

smkettner said:

You cannot force them to unplug and it would be rude to unplug them. Best to move on and let it go.
Always have a plan B. Just as likely for the charging unit to be not working.
If it was within the airport parking or other business it would be best to express your frustration with the proper manager of the property.

I am not saying the girls were doing the right thing, they were not. EV education is going to be a long process so please have patience with the newbies.
It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Agree education is the key. And it will take long time because people don't talk about this kind of things to newbies. The EV car dealers should provide a list of things to do or don't do to the EV buyers.

smkettner said:
fetv said:

smkettner said:

You cannot force them to unplug and it would be rude to unplug them. Best to move on and let it go.
Always have a plan B. Just as likely for the charging unit to be not working.
If it was within the airport parking or other business it would be best to express your frustration with the proper manager of the property.

I am not saying the girls were doing the right thing, they were not. EV education is going to be a long process so please have patience with the newbies.
It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I'm sorry but I think YOU were the rude one here. It may suck because there are not many quick chargers yet but for now it's first come, first served. Would it have been nice for them to unplug sooner? Yes, but you have no idea where they were going. Maybe they needed every last drop. Maybe they just don't have a clue . . . Maybe they were just afraid to get out of their car while some creepy guy was hanging around with a video camera harassing them. Either way, it's fine if you politely ask for them to unplug sooner but it's their option not to and you should not EXPECT them to and put them on Youtube for quietly sitting in their charging their car.

I read all the replies, and I have to put my buck 'o"five cause I'm military, and I defend freedom of speech, but it's a double edged sword these days with the PC "I may get my feelings hurt" mentality....the camera ok watch 1984 and see if that adds or subtracts from your view on recording. here Next to the base a guy wanted to plug his leaf in, and person in an ICE was in the EV/ charging spot, he asked very politely if he could charge, individual got out of SUV and acted aggressive, guy pulled out phone and recorded...escalated, found it's way on youtube, local and base police got involved...
I was charging had one bar, came out, car was unplugged, and plugged and locked to another car, I moved car to block them, and put tag on with my number, when your ready to leave I will move so I can continue charge.

If I was in the car and someone approached with a camera/phone, I'd have got my phone on video to defend myself...a lot of perception...and why am I being recorded.

So I think it's both good and bad....
let the comments fly

grandizer52 said:
I read all the replies, and I have to put my buck 'o"five cause I'm military, and I defend freedom of speech, but it's a double edged sword these days with the PC "I may get my feelings hurt" mentality....the camera ok watch 1984 and see if that adds or subtracts from your view on recording. here Next to the base a guy wanted to plug his leaf in, and person in an ICE was in the EV/ charging spot, he asked very politely if he could charge, individual got out of SUV and acted aggressive, guy pulled out phone and recorded...escalated, found it's way on youtube, local and base police got involved...
I was charging had one bar, came out, car was unplugged, and plugged and locked to another car, I moved car to block them, and put tag on with my number, when your ready to leave I will move so I can continue charge.

If I was in the car and someone approached with a camera/phone, I'd have got my phone on video to defend myself...a lot of perception...and why am I being recorded.

So I think it's both good and bad....
let the comments fly

The millitary has not don that since 1945
So that is meaningles.

As for the rest, I will maintain that the human gene pool needs a good shocking! no more warning lables, once Natures mechanisms are doing their job as intended we'll see common sense again.

Every one is so obsessed over them selfs they simly can not comprehend doing some thing to help make some one elses life easier, and sadly I do not see that changing any time soon on either side of the boarder!

You know what would help with this problem? More chargers. I mean sure people can afford to be a little bit more considerate and share and all that, but if we had more of the infrastructure for charging up cars, we wouldn't have to worry about somebody taking a little too long at one station.

Back