Has Nissan confirmed which MY the Leaf gets a redesign???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hingisfan

I'm thinking of buying, but if a new Leaf is coming in 2 years, I can wait, at least to see what the differences will be. I would MUCH prefer 20% or more of extra range.

Any info on the next gen Leaf or MY2015 changes?

hingisfan said:
I'm thinking of buying, but if a new Leaf is coming in 2 years, I can wait, at least to see what the differences will be.

Any info on the next gen Leaf?

Why not do a two year lease on one now, and get a new one in two years?

TonyWilliams said:
hingisfan said:
I'm thinking of buying, but if a new Leaf is coming in 2 years, I can wait, at least to see what the differences will be.

I am in Canada and leases here are CRAZY expensive. A 4 year lease is the only thing that makes any kind of sense.

hingisfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
hingisfan said:

I am in Canada and leases here are CRAZY expensive. A 4 year lease is the only thing that makes any kind of sense.

perhaps you have done your research, but just in case you are assuming this is a typical lease, you might want to check out the Leaf in particular just to make sure. here the lease deals make leasing unusually affordable.

[/quote]

perhaps you have done your research, but just in case you are assuming this is a typical lease, you might want to check out the Leaf in particular just to make sure. here the lease deals make leasing unusually affordable.[/quote]

Yes I have priced it out. The residual is 38%, which is what kills it I think. We don't have anything close to the $199 deal you guys have. We are almost double. I would have to 4 year lease, which I don't want to do and then 6 months later find out that a MUCH better product is coming 18-24 months later. Are they expected to unveil at the winter auto shows? Or is there really no indication at all when the next-gen specs will be out?

Car manufacturers usually don't reveal specs way ahead of release except to the point needed to drum up/keep up interest in the product. The disadvantage of doing such a thing is that you could torpedo short-term sales of your own product. For example, if you announce today that the 2015 model will have twice the range, then few people are going to want to buy the 2014 model.

Nissan has dropped hints about possible longer range/more heat resistant battery for 2015/2016 but that is not a given. Nissan themselves may not yet know if they can pull off such a promise by then.

As far as 2014 goes, the differences will be relatively minor: rear view camera will be standard (I believe to comply with a new US regulation) and enhanced on-board telematics. http://www.plugincars.com/nissan-leaf-gets-mild-updates-2014-hits-dealers-october-127735.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same problem as with any (leading edge) technology product: there's always something newer/better/cheaper around the corner. Thing is, you miss out on all that time you could have been enjoying it to begin with. I'll never regret buying my 2011 Leaf, and the enhanced battery warranty (and "hot pack" battery) will end up giving me many additional years of (care-free maintenance) enjoyment.

To my knowledge, Nissan is on a 6 year refresh cycle with the LEAF. What I'm not sure about is when they started counting. Is the first gen LEAF MY11 through MY16 (I guess it is)?

So, I think that means the second gen LEAF starts MY17, coming out late 2016 (guess on my part)?

But what is interesting in the mean time are hints from Nissan and their pattern of mid model refreshes in other models. I don't expect a body change (too expensive for a relatively low volume car for only cosmetic changes), but I am wondering if we'll see the appearance of either the new NMC battery chemistry or another beefier improvement. I (personally) wouldn't be surprised to see a 36kWh battery for MY15, but this is complete conjecture on my part. I think Nissan knows it needs to up the ante before the second gen and with the hints we've been given this fits right in.

I would also not be surprised by an option for a second pack in a second gen LEAF, depending on battery prices by 2017. But again, complete conjecture.

Back