Has the Leaf inspired you to drive more Zen like?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I implored my highly-refined hypermiling skills today for the 1st leg of my commute. 25.5 miles one way, mostly freeway, medium to light traffic. Eco mode, no a/c, slightly cracked windows, pulsing/gliding/drafting, hi-speed turns, no cruise, a few slightly run lights. (it was yellow, I swear!)

Car read 98 miles of range when I started. Car read 90 miles of range when I arrived after driving 25.5 miles !!! The best was drafting the oil tanker at 55mph for a solid 10miles down the freeway.

On the way home, I decided to have fun. 90 miles of range became 54 miles of range when I pulled in (after going the same 25.5 miles..though a bit more uphill driving for sure - but still no A/C).

Edit: Just realized I *wasn't* in Eco mode. now I'm really surprised.

I've had the Leaf for a week, and tried Eco mode once. Unless I want to demonstrate it to somebody, or I have a real range-anxiety trip planned, I doubt I'll use it again... there is a point at which Zen turns to Xanax, and Eco mode did a pretty good job of it.

Would like to be able to activate the 3-dot regenerative braking without capping the acceleration at 3 dots (maybe an Eco-brake mode?).

What I find amazing is the Power-Dot feedback has made me much more conscious of wasting fuel, so even on short trips where I know I can recharge fully, I tend to be a little more smooth and accelerate more slowly. Haven't driven my ICE in a week, but I expect I will get better mileage from that simply from better habits.

The Leaf was the Johnny come lately for our inspiration. Our inspiration began in 2004 ... the Gen II Prius. Best mpg over an entire tank of gas was just a bit over 75 mpg (over 700 miles on a single tank of gas). Over 100,000 miles of practice lead us to a life time average of almost 56mpg. On the Leaf, we have less that 300 miles, and we're averaging 5 miles per kWH. Maybe within a few monts we'll be able to hit 7 miles per kWh.
;)

i've only had my leaf 4 days, but i too, am driving much less aggressively. i thought it was new car caution but i really think it makes me want to slow down and smell the roses.... :p

While I've been very careful with my Leaf driving, I've been compensating by driving more aggressively in my other car, an M3. I'm hoping the two balance out.

I've been driving very "spirited" in the Leaf. It's just too much fun! There's just something unique about its driving style that I can't (and don't want to) resist.

Since I'm not at all worried about range (for our typical use) and the electricity use is significantly less than gas anyway, I figure the most aggressive driving in the Leaf is still better than the most conservative driving in my Murano.

Forget driving like grandma, I want to have FUN!

Back