Headlights icing up UPDATED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am in Idaho an have discovered the LED headlights produce no heat and start freezing over in some types of snow and or freezing fog.. I must say I am a big fan of these lights. The are excellent for lighting the road but having to stop and clear the ice off of the lenses is a problem here

Just a little rambling on from Idaho

UPDATE

Thanks to Nubo who posted this....I will try this out this winter

Yes. Glycerin is an effective fog or frost preventer. I used that trick back in my starving student days driving an old VW Beetle. The Beetle's heating system (exhaust heat exchangers) was marginal when new.

I learned that old pilots used to apply glycerin to keep their cockpit windows from icing up at altitude. I tried it and it worked quite well, actually.

The pure stuff can be had at a pharmacy. It's a thick syrupy clear liquid. Spread into a very thin layer with a lint-free cloth. A little goes a long way. It will be blurry for a bit but levels out into a clear view. Or you can buff most of it off but then the anti-fog effect is shorter-lived.

Glycerin is hygroscopic. It pulls moisture out of the air. So over time its effectiveness is gradually diminished. I used to get a week or two before I had to wipe down and re-apply. But it did keep me and my decrepit beetle on the road for a couple of lean years through Cleveland winters.

TonyWilliams said:
There are TONS of aftermarket lights that you could mount in the grill. Ones that make some serious heat! HID, halogen, etc.

Or just get a 55W HID kit for the high beams. There are tons of reasonably priced H9 55W kits available (check eBay) and it takes just an hour to install. The difference is staggering.

You could try running the halogen high beams to heat the headlamp housing. Run them with the dash mounted headlight adjuster in the full down position to minimize the glare into oncoming drivers eyes.

Interesting. The low beams are brighter than any other car I have owned.

69800 said:
I am in Idaho an have discovered the LED headlights produce no heat and start freezing over in some types of snow and or freezing fog.. I must say I am a big fan of these lights. The are excellent for lighting the road but having to stop and clear the ice off of the lenses is a problem here

Just a little rambling on from Idaho

UPDATE

Thanks to Nubo who posted this....I will try this out this winter

Yes. Glycerin is an effective fog or frost preventer. I used that trick back in my starving student days driving an old VW Beetle. The Beetle's heating system (exhaust heat exchangers) was marginal when new.

I learned that old pilots used to apply glycerin to keep their cockpit windows from icing up at altitude. I tried it and it worked quite well, actually.

The pure stuff can be had at a pharmacy. It's a thick syrupy clear liquid. Spread into a very thin layer with a lint-free cloth. A little goes a long way. It will be blurry for a bit but levels out into a clear view. Or you can buff most of it off but then the anti-fog effect is shorter-lived.

Glycerin is hygroscopic. It pulls moisture out of the air. So over time its effectiveness is gradually diminished. I used to get a week or two before I had to wipe down and re-apply. But it did keep me and my decrepit beetle on the road for a couple of lean years through Cleveland winters.

Thanks for the idea! I woke up to iced headlights for the first time today. I'll have to get some Glycerin because I always park outside.

FWIW my reference to Glycerine was in regard to interior windshield fogging. No idea about headlight icing. Though it might serve as a release coating, any liquid precip is going to dilute it quickly. I would think that a silicone or wax based substance would serve better as ice release for an exterior application.

i have issues where they will frost over while sitting in a parking lot, but after i brush them off and drive they stay clear. its not like they are shaped in a way that encourages collection of snow or anything like that

Just went through some wet snow and freezing fog days Had to garage the leaf and bring out the honda fit. Still looking for a solution. I have heard that the base 2013 leafs have halogen lights.. I am thinking about finding someone in Cal or Ariz to trade light assemblies with.

It's true, the S model's low beams are halogen, I have one. They work quite well too. Haven't been in any snow or freezing rain yet though.

Back