Heater issues again can you help me collect data?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofieros

My car was in the shop for 32 days getting a new heater. I have a 2013 Leaf S. Today it got cold for the first time. I think the heater is still broken but I want data from you guys to verify it.

So, It was 26F outside today. I started the car ten minutes before we left while plugged in. I also put a thermometer inside the central air duct in the dash. Temp set to 83 drawing from outside. When I returned to put my daughter in the car the thermometer showed 38F. I then took readings at various times while driving to work and took notes. I would love it if someone with a working heater and a model S Leaf (not the SV or SL because they have different heaters) would try these readings with a thermometer and tell me what they got.

Dash temp set to 90F outside air temp 26F
Drawing from outside for 6 min max temp at duct was 118F
Recirculating for 6 min max temp at duct was 140F
Defrost on for 6 min max temp at duct was 118F

I would appreciate it if someone could check their car and post the same info. My car used to have excellent heat but now I freeze on the way to work and my range is terrible. 21.6 miles drew 46% of my battery.

Oh, and before people go on about make sure you're not in Eco I did both and the temp didn't change at all.

Her dealer lost its Leaf certification, and she had to have it towed to one 60 miles away. Just hopping in one at the dealer is not a viable option.

I have an SV, but I will add that it's very hard to get heat while plugged in. You have to start the car in Ready mode while charging to get real preheating while plugged into the EVSE. This applies to all Leafs, IIRC.

Is there a technical bulletin about this?

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/latest-uploads/26750-ntb14-001b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a bulletin about this. Moof is right. My dealer lost their certification. It's a long story. If you want to read about it see here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Driving to the dealer isn't an option for me.

This morning I took a 10 minute drive. the weather was 20F outside. This time I saw a difference with Deco/D. In Deco I reached a maximum of 82F coming from the dash. In D I could reach 96F. Tomorrow the temp will reach single digits. I'll collect more data then.

The previous dealer that serviced this car was terrible. They got grease all over my headliner, took over a month to service my car, lied about the car being worked on, and refused to help with a loaner car. I'm trying to collect as much data as I can before I call Nissan to report the same issue and ask how to go about fixing this car since it will need a tow no matter where it goes. My local dealer, they have been really good to me, tried to service the car but Nissan refuses to let them touch it since their technician didn't attend the latest Leaf training. I am the only Leaf in the area. Hard to get a big protest going when you are the only one around.

Well I can't be of much help but last night waiting in the car for the kids to get out of swim practice it was -2F (on the dash) with a wind chill of about -15F I had it on "ready mode" with the heat on at fan speed 3 on floor only and it was putting out 80F air. I turned the fan down to speed 2 and got it up to 86F air leaving the vent. The cabin didn't get "warm" but I will take a 90F rise in temp compared to outside any day :) We can never use recirc or the windows fog up instantly. With the kids (with wet hair and swim bags) in the car I have to switch it to defrost, heat only on speed 3 or 4 and its get cold in the car for the 10 minute trip home. Oh and on that trip I saw 2.5 miles/kWh :)

BrockWI,

Thanks for the info. Have you had the heater replaced in your 13 S? It sounds like yours is behaving like mine after the new heater. I used to brag about the heat in the car. It got hotter faster than an ICE car and it seemed warmer. Now, not so much. I too cannot run recirculate or the windows fog up bad. I heard there is a trick to help with that. Get some cat litter and put it in a sock, tie the end closed, and leave it under a seat in the car. It sucks up the moisture. I haven't tried it yet but I've heard it several times on the Volt forums.

We have the original heater. In "warmer" weather heating up the air by 90F is a lot, say starting at 40F, that 130F. But at -10, not so much :) But yes it gets warm faster than our diesel or gasser, but only has so much heat in there. After all it's 5000 watts of heat or 17,000 BTU. I bet our van when warm easily puts out 50,000 BTU between the front and back heaters.

Back