Heating the Nissan Leaf (2013...S base model)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been cold enough to use heat for about six weeks and tonight, for the second time, there was a point where I couldn't get the heat to work.

On this occasion, I was down to about 18 Gids, parked, powered off and plugged into a 240v charging station. The recharge commenced, but when I sat down and powered on, the heat would not work.

Note in the photo that it is -10°C/14°F. (I was in a covered, but open garage where it might have been one or two degrees warmer.) The heat button is illuminated, but the climate control energy meter is showing zero. Nothing but cold air was blowing from the vents. After this photo, I powered off, and activated the pre-heat function from Carwings. Climate control in the LEAF came on, but once again, only cold air came through the vents. I then disabled climate control via Carwings and left.

2.5 hours later, I retried pre-heating via Carwings. When I got back to the LEAF shortly thereafter, the heat was working again.

Was the LEAF attempting to save energy since I was a VLB situation?

VujXUC3.jpg

Note to Gearscout: Please edit your first post and change the title. the 2013 S that you have does not work like any other models or years on the problem you are describing. I'm guessing that greengate, for example, has a 2013 SV or SL with a heat pump, so his Chicago experience is quite unlike what you will experience. And people with 2011 or 2012 models have the same heater you have, but they can control the car remotely.

Your 2013 S can't heat up at all when plugged in and not charging except by using the climate timer, or the trick stjohnh described at the end of page 2 of this thread. That's because, as has been said at least three times in this thread, you have to be charging, or on the climate timer, or in READY mode, to get heat. And you can't get to READY mode (green car on the dash with double arrow) when you are plugged in.

Ray

StJohnH,

Many thanks, that's the clearest explanation thus far for what is happening. If you just entered this thread, check the end of page 2.

I'll try the method you outlined for attempting MANUAL pre-heat for '13 LEAF S base model:

1. Unplug and reconnect the L1/L2 charger
2. Quickly (half minute max) double punch the 'Start' button (foot OFF brake)
3. Quickly turn on heat system/blower

=============================
UPDATE: Tried the above method and it worked PERFECTLY this morning. Doesn't solve all the heating problems, but it helps overcome 'menu fatigue' when changing schedules all the time.
=============================
Alternatively, set the Climate Control Timer before overnight charge.

Note: I had taken this vehicle in to the dealer last week because when setting that Climate Control Timer, I found the car was warming up but that the batteries were being heavily depleted. They updated the software. Have not tested that since the update.

Again, THANK YOU!

planet4ever said:
Note to Gearscout: Please edit your first post and change the title. the 2013 S that you have does not work like any other models or years on the problem you are describing.

Ray

Done.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!

Berlino said:

Both on 2011 and 2012, below a certain battery level the climate control does not work. Not even during QC. I believe you have to be above 2 bars for CC to work.

Gearscout said:
I'm not certain what you mean. You can leave it plugged in overnight without killing the accessory battery. You can also use the timers - I think, as I'm not familiar with the S - to charge to 80% and then, after that, run the climate control before you need it. Is that what you meant?

I mean, not setting the timers, can I get in the vehicle and turn on heater, steering wheel heater, seat heater etc. after letting the car charge all night?

I had a problem with Climate Control, got the software update, and haven't used it since. It probably would work, but often, I don't really know when I'm set for takeoff in the mornings.

BOTTOM LINE:

So, if I leave it plugged in after charging, is there a way I can enable it to heat up while USING the connected 240/120v EVSE?

I have an S and I generally charge to 80%. On cold mornings about a half hour before leaving the house I go to the garage, set it to charge at 100%, then unplug and re-plug in the EVSE plug. Then I press the start button twice and turn on the heater. It heats up nicely and I get a little distance boost without fully charging it to 100%.

camasleaf said:
Berlino said:

Both on 2011 and 2012, below a certain battery level the climate control does not work. Not even during QC. I believe you have to be above 2 bars for CC to work.
My 2011 will run ~4 kW to the heat/defrost set at 90 right to turtle.

Ozarks said:
I have an S and I generally charge to 80%. On cold mornings about a half hour before leaving the house I go to the garage, set it to charge at 100%, then unplug and re-plug in the EVSE plug. Then I press the start button twice and turn on the heater. It heats up nicely and I get a little distance boost without fully charging it to 100%.

That sounds like a useful alternative, too. Thanks for the suggestion! ;-)

Back