Help. I need confirmation if my dealer just cheated me.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To second what people have said. Drive the car down to below 30% and charge it up to 100% for a few days in a row. Then take a reading. At that point it should be pretty darn accurate. I'm at 91.13% SOH, 284 Gids and 60.38 AHr with just under 18K on my car.

cwerdna said:
gemrough said:
some states require a 3 day return policy on new cars.
Which ones? URLs to the state govt pages indicating this?

Ummm, there's only one state where that's going to happen, if you're in a state of delusion. :p

OK, the State of California is apparently requiring two days, but that's only for used cars.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/unwinding-the-deal-what-are-your-rights.html

http://cars.lovetoknow.com/How_Many_Days_Do_You_Have_to_Return_a_New_Car

sub3marathonman said:
cwerdna said:
gemrough said:
some states require a 3 day return policy on new cars.
Which ones? URLs to the state govt pages indicating this?

Ummm, there's only one state where that's going to happen, if you're in a state of delusion. :p

OK, the State of California is apparently requiring two days, but that's only for used cars.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/unwinding-the-deal-what-are-your-rights.html

http://cars.lovetoknow.com/How_Many_Days_Do_You_Have_to_Return_a_New_Car

California allows a return policy on used cars, but unless the dealer specifically allows it for no extra charge, it's something you have to pay extra for (the "contract cancellation option"). For new cars, not only is it not required, but every dealer I have been to has signs posted specifically saying that there is "No Cooling Off Period" with regards to new cars.

If you sign a contract to buy a house, you usually have a cooling off period, but car dealers rely on high-pressure sales that border on torture, and they would fight tooth and nail against any way (other than dealer fraud, which they hate as it is) for the torturee to get out of their coerced contract.

Well, it's been 3 weeks now. When I got my vehicle, it was showing 95% of the SOH from leaf spy. Yesterday, shows that it went down further to 88%. I went to the dealer which was completely useless. None of the service advisors know about EV and how they work. They don't understand at all when I told them my concerns about battery capacity. To them they keep repeating it shows it can charge 100%. In any case, they showed me a one report which just shows I have 12 full bars which is completely meaningless since I can also see 12 bars on my dashboard. I don't know if they actually have real numbers which they don't want to show me. I can't believe that an APP that I can easily purchase can read the ECU and a dealer could not with theirs.

Yeah. This is a tough one and I doubt that you're going to get anywhere with it. For what its worth, my pack (of nearly similar age) is showing 283 Gids at full charge and about 90.5% SOH. This is at 18,600 miles though. I will say that the SOH bounces around quite a bit. In January (dead of winter) with about 9K miles on the car, my SOH was at 89%, and just a month or two ago it was at 92.7%, so I'm not sure how much legitimacy you can apply to it. Odd are that your pack degraded a bit while sitting on the lot for all that time. Had you known better, you could have looked for a fresher one, but legally speaking, the dealer sold you a "new" car. I'm not sure that you're gonna get anywhere with them.

I know this thread is getting on, but I think the subject coincides with my position.
I came very close to purchasing a 16 SL today with Nissan's 2016 final clearance event . ( $10k down, my 13 SL trade value $16K, balance $370/month for 3 years- basically low interest).
Keep in mind this is Canada.
The big show stopper was the manufacture date which was listed as Feb/16.( Car was available at another dealer, not the one where I was)
I was told that the " Dealer order date" was July 3/16, so the car was NOT sitting at the dealer's lot during this last hot summer just that the dealers receive their car orders many months after placing their orders, also that the "manufacture date" is the date of start of production not the "final production date"?
I proceeded to explain to him that the 13SL I purchased Sept 21/13 has a manufacture date of 06/13 which is an acceptable 4 months, and that I was sure that Nissan's production lines move a little quicker than what he was indicating.
I am also sure that Nissan doesn't just build cars and wait for the dealer to order one, it is my understanding it is just the opposite and thus the 3 to 4 month delivery of said order.
Am I close in this hypothesis ?
What are the dealer order dates and delivery times normally ( I assume in So. Cal. it is a little quicker but what about the rest of the States, Canada or other countries?
So much for a leisurely car buying experience :x

Even if the date stamped on the manufacturer's plate is start of production, it doesn't take more than a few days for a mainstream car to be assembled from start to finish. This isn't a Rolls Royce or a Morgan or some esoteric custom-made hand-built car.

The car may not have sat for months in your area but it means the car sat for months somewhere else, possibly somewhere much warmer than British Columbia such as the factory in Tennessee, or worse somewhere in Texas or California.

When I ordered my 2015, the dealer said there were quite a few at the factory. The salesman found one with all of the features I wanted in the final assembly area so I asked him to order it. It was less than a month from ordering to driving. The manufacture date was 01/2015 and I drove it away from the dealer on 2/7/2015. There is a good chance that the 2016 you were considering was sitting in the storage lot at the factory from February to July. I would not be afraid to purchase it with enough discount if you don't need maximum range.

Gerry

RonDawg said:
Even if the date stamped on the manufacturer's plate is start of production, it doesn't take more than a few days for a mainstream car to be assembled from start to finish. This isn't a Rolls Royce or a Morgan or some esoteric custom-made hand-built car.

The car may not have sat for months in your area but it means the car sat for months somewhere else, possibly somewhere much warmer than British Columbia such as the factory in Tennessee, or worse somewhere in Texas or California.
I agree, the Leaf is not a handbuilt prototype, it is a production vehicle, in its 6th year of manufacture. It probably takes about a day to build it. As usual, the dealer/salesman lied.

RonDawg said:

My feelings exactly.
At least there will be some good competitive options soon.
Thanks for the feedback.

Back