HELP - Leaf Won't accept a charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yujungchang said:
... Earlier we have a onboard charger reprogram recall on Leaf and that has reduced the regen, does that recall also fix the charger diode issue? Nissan customer service refused to contact their engineering department to get confirmation of this issue, does anyone has more information besides the GE said it was Nissan's fault?
Nissan did state that P3227 did include resolution of an issue with chargers. But they provided no technical details.

Would take a lot of MNL searching to find the references.

Possible it was discussed in the Phoenix townhall meeting or the August 2013 dinner in Phoenix.

But I never saw a detailed technical description of what Nissan did wrong in the J1772 protocol that resulted in charger diode failures.

I still have not had P3227 done and no charger failures in 4 1/2 years.
Only used Blink and AV EVSEs.

Got the car back with a new OBC, 296A0-3NA8A. Only charge counts(both L1/2 and L3) got reset and the rest of the battery data stay the same, including bars. One thing I noticed, it seems the coolant reservoir has more flow coming back and it makes watering sound. I don't recall I heard that with the old OBC.

Here's the response from the Nissan corporate communication. That campaign is already done on my car 2+ years back and I've been using the GE wattstation for the past 2 years as well. Since it failed while charging with "Nissan contractor installed" Aerovironment EVSE, wonder if that fix is really fixing the issue or just delaying the problem?

======================================================================================================
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:18 AM
Subject: RE: Nissan Leaf onboard charger failure

Hi Yu-jung,

I’ve forwarded your message to our Consumer Affairs group to make sure they follow up on the service you’re getting at the dealer. The GE EVSE Level 2 charging system has a unique communication pattern with the car before charging begins that sometimes confuses the OBC system on MY11-12 LEAFs. Nissan has a Service Campaign to reprogram the ’11-12 cars to remedy the issue and reconcile the communication issue with the GE unit.

Thank you for your letter and also for your ownership of the LEAF. Someone with our CA group should reach out to you soon.

Happy Holidays,

[email protected]
Phone: +1 615.725.4443
Mobile: 615.427.9172

Back