Help me out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the legislation in Cali are a bunch of crooks. they cry about money but have a golden revenue streaming zipping down the freeway at 80 mph in a 65!!

wake up!! pull them over!!. when i worked in the bay area many moons ago, the State patrol use to ticket HOV lane violators (there was NO speeding issue here!! especially at 25-40 mph!)

it was too much of a traffic interruption to pull them over, so they simply took the violators picture and mailed them a ticket. ticket payoff this way was only about 30%, but the patrol officer could cite over 300% more violators this way, so it paid off.

davewill said:
Why would you have to get out of the HOV lane to slow down? It's a lane for saving fuel, not for wasting it as much as possible. It is NOT the fast lane. It really chaps my hide when clean vehicles supposedly CAN'T use the HOV lane.

This is a case of shooting the messenger. In fact, with some stretches being exceptions, the northbound 5 hov lane early in the AM is a veritable autobahn. People will roll up to your arsh if you're not doing at least 75. It explains how I tell people who are aghast that I commute from San Clemente to Tustin every morning that it only takes me 30 minutes and no traffic lights to sit at. The problem in moving over into the other lanes is that they invariably tie up at certain select points after 7A. Unlike in LA, the hov lane continues flowing nicely at these points, so you have most traffic snarled at 10-20 mph and people in the hov flying by at 55-65 (making it a little daring--you hope some sob doesn't try to cut into the hov lane from a dead stop).

So if I move over into the regular lanes to cut my speed, I am asking to get stuck in at least 4-5 snarls that go on for 2-3 miles each. The alternative would be to use the regular lanes for most of the commute, then dart into the hov lane when the snarls occur, then shoot back into the regular lanes when their speed picks up, etc. etc. Unwise, unsafe as I see it.

My employer will likely/should not object to my charging my vehicle at either 240 or 120V. And now I am educated that charging at work is necessary and pretty simple, and that for about $200 I can get an adapted cable for either outlet if I choose. Now, if multiple other employees think of doing so--an unlikely scenario for a few years I think--the employer might pause or consider a minor assessment, I suppose. Down the road, I see EVSE chargers in the parking lots.

Again, for those objecting to high-speed use of the hov here in south OC, I would point out that ALL lanes go 70-85 whenever traffic is not congested. We spent tons of Measure M monies widening the freeways and the inevitable result has been higher speeds. I travel in the hov lane at the same speed as the flow in it, which usually is at the speed of the other lanes. The notable exceptions, of course, are during rush hours when the bulk of the regular lanes are snarled at 10-25 mph, and the hov lane slows down to maybe 50-55. The CHP gave up years ago enforcing the speed limit and instead confines its interest in drivers otherwise driving unsafely or in vehicles that break down, etc.

I actually read an article about various CA traffic laws in Car & Driver recently. One of them talked about how you are REQUIRED to drive in a reasonable and prudent manner for the road, traffic and weather conditions. One could easily argue that if the rest of the traffic s going that fast, it IS reasonable and prudent for you to do the same unless you want to cause an accident. ;)

GeekEV said:
I actually read an article about various CA traffic laws in Car & Driver recently. One of them talked about how you are REQUIRED to drive in a reasonable and prudent manner for the road, traffic and weather conditions. One could easily argue that if the rest of the traffic s going that fast, it IS reasonable and prudent for you to do the same unless you want to cause an accident. ;)
You need to check with the CA highway patrol instead of the car magazines. There are no conditions that permit exceeding the speed limit.
I agree 65/70 is plenty in the HOV lane. If the following person will not obey the limit let him pull out and fight the other lanes.

If the other lanes are going 50/65 I tend not to use the HOV lane. But if I am in then tuff.

smkettner said:
GeekEV said:
You need to check with the CA highway patrol instead of the car magazines. There are no conditions that permit exceeding the speed limit.
I agree 65/70 is plenty in the HOV lane. If the following person will not obey the limit let him pull out and fight the other lanes.

If the other lanes are going 50/65 I tend not to use the HOV lane. But if I am in then tuff.

You are essentially identifying yourself as a carpool lane "snail" in these parts. The rest of us go with the flow. A "speeder" in south OC is someone probably doing 90+ and changing lanes constantly. The CHP seems to find these people on a regular basis, but leaves the rest of us alone.

I fail to see why we accept the 15-25% reduction in performance and the risk of to let's accidents etc to save 10 minutes on our drive.

Size it once and I say it again. Cali is screwing up by. Not cracking down on speeders. I am sure its simply a matter of logistics. I am sure they are pulling people over as fast as they can write them and that is ok. Sooner or later it will be your turn

704hov1095 said:
A "speeder" in south OC is someone probably doing 90+ and changing lanes constantly. The CHP seems to find these people on a regular basis, but leaves the rest of us alone.
If the CHP pulled people over for 68 MPH, the speeders would be doing a much safer 70-75 rather than 90 and blowing a lot less gas (which they complain is too expensive).

It REALLY isn't that hard. If they start enforcing a specific limit, MOST of the speeders will slow down to that value. They don't need to pull over every car, the word will get out (by angry complaint) if they pull even 1 in 20. I grew up in So Cal and some 35 years ago, for reasons unknown, the CHP started enforcing the 65 MPH limit. People really DID slow down. Of course as soon as the CHP started getting loose, the speed went right back up.

bruceha2000 said:
I grew up in So Cal and some 35 years ago, for reasons unknown, the CHP started enforcing the 65 MPH limit. People really DID slow down. Of course as soon as the CHP started getting loose, the speed went right back up.
Actually, for reasons well known. 35 years ago the speed limit was 55, not 65, by national law. This was in effect for 13 years beginning in March 1974.

Ray

If you drive in the HOV lanes here, you better have at least two people or a blue plate because FINALLY, they are going to have extra forces to stop single drivers (saw it on the news). It's points on your license and a huge fine.

704hov1095 said:
smkettner said:
GeekEV said:
You are essentially identifying yourself as a carpool lane "snail" in these parts. The rest of us go with the flow. A "speeder" in south OC is someone probably doing 90+ and changing lanes constantly. The CHP seems to find these people on a regular basis, but leaves the rest of us alone.
Yes, I am a snail. ( I have been called worse so it will not bother me a bit )
As said if I can go anywhere near the limit in the regular lanes I hop out. I used to drive "damn the rules get out of my way" plenty of years ago so I understand the rat race the rest are running. Otherwise I see no reason to go 80+ when the other lanes are stop and go. If you want to be in front of me you should have left five minutes ealier ;)

Back