Help, need navigation while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+10!

EVDRIVER said:
The Leaf voice system is a pathetic joke. It has about 5 stupid commands. Why lock the user interface when driving if the voice commands are not there? A six year old Acura can easily voice command dozens of commands so why in a LEAF can I only say previous destinations and home for Navigation? Why bother with voice if the most important use of the technology is not used. Why not "find nearest charge station", "find Restaurants". I would love to be in a room with some of the idiots that designed this joke of a system, because it is a sad joke of a compromised product particularly for a 2011 Model Japanese car. And if you are going to make people touch "ok:' on a screen to get the unit on at least separate the buttons and make them larger, there is an entire page of space free on the screen for this and it is a moving car! I actually think Nissan has some of the worst product people in the industry that worked on all the LEAF interfaces, they are not oversights they are just outright stupid implementations.

I agree, the screen design is pathetic, and the available functions are severely limited.

However, in areas with "full" map coverage, it does get you there, and the synthetic voice is noticably better than the poor synthetic voice on the 2010 Prius.

The "JBL Sound System" on my 2010 Prius is WAY better.

But, Nissan got a very good EV into mass production and onto the road. Japan appears to be taking EV seriously. Too bad the USA "powers that be" are not.

The have only found one way to get a destination while driving (its always been the passenger that does this). Just open the map and scroll/pan/zoom in to your destination and pinpoint what you want, when you are happy, go the "map menu" and make the point a destination. Vola! its done, while not as precise, its fairly reliable if your good at pinpointing the location. It doesn't work if you have no clue where your destination is though.

The disable function while driving is on all Japanese cars Toyo Nissan etc
The wife has the same complaint in her Lexus but there is hope

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/

These guys sell P&P overrides for most Jap cars but the Leaf is not listed I would assume that it would be the same as the nav in the Versa???
They have positive reviews on the Lexus site

Actually, since the Leaf system is quite different than the one in the Versa, I would be very surprised if it is the same... I also don't think it is worth $300 just to override the lockouts...

Brightonuk said:
These guys sell P&P overrides for most Jap cars but the Leaf is not listed I would assume that it would be the same as the nav in the Versa???
They have positive reviews on the Lexus site

Yes I just said Versa It could be the GT-r for all I know.

I received an email from the guys at Prestigious Society and they are working on a mod for the Leaf but I get the impression they need some info so the question is what vehicle is the nav system from....Anyone?

I believe it is specific to the Leaf.

Brightonuk said:
I received an email from the guys at Prestigious Society and they are working on a mod for the Leaf but I get the impression they need some info so the question is what vehicle is the nav system from....Anyone?

From the Prestigious Society FAQ:

Will any of my navigation features be affected when the system is activated?
When our system is activated the map interface will be temporarily suspended. This is not an issue as the purpose of activating our system is to gain access to other interfaces such as address inputting or phone features. Upon completing your task, simply deactivate our system and the map will resume operation and most importantly the GPS will re-establish and recalibrate your position on the map interface.

Is a switch required to work with your product?
Our system is designed to be there only when it’s needed. Our system can be activated and deactivated by simply pressing a button on our switch. The wired remote switch dimension is (L) 1½ x (W) ¾ in. x (H) ½ in. For 2010+ Lexus models (except for GX460), a switch is no longer required! The activation/deactivation of our system is now integrated with the factory buttons on the steering wheel!

Bolding mine.

Pretty obvious how this works. They plug into the wiring harnesses between the head unit and all of its sensors. When you press the button, the head unit is disconnected from the GPS data feed (and/or an "I am not moving" feed is sent) and the disconnected from the speed (wheel turn) sensor, and told via whatever wire the vehicle is in park and so forth.

Shouldn't be too hard to make one of these, if you can find all the connectors somewhere. Perhaps a car stereo installation kit, or similar. Then, depending on your electronics skills, anything from a microprocessor to a few relays should do the trick.

I didn't read through all the posts on this thread, so forgive me if I answer a question that wasn't asked, or give an answer already given, but it is possible to select a new destination while driving the Leaf. You just have to know that destination before your trip and send it to GoogleMaps. You can do: blue e menu button, Carwings, All information Feeds, Google Maps, send to car and the addresses or sites you input before are read out to you. This all works while moving at freeway speeds. When your destination is read, push Pause and then set as new destination. Usually it starts right up navigating but other times I've gotten a screen that requires you to push start before it actually starts the navigation. If it's a destination you've been to before you can instead select previous destinations, but I don't know if this works while moving.

Hey Gary. Tony or Ingineer
Your next project??

From the Prestigious Society FAQ:

Will any of my navigation features be affected when the system is activated?
When our system is activated the map interface will be temporarily suspended. This is not an issue as the purpose of activating our system is to gain access to other interfaces such as address inputting or phone features. Upon completing your task, simply deactivate our system and the map will resume operation and most importantly the GPS will re-establish and recalibrate your position on the map interface.

Is a switch required to work with your product?
Our system is designed to be there only when it’s needed. Our system can be activated and deactivated by simply pressing a button on our switch. The wired remote switch dimension is (L) 1½ x (W) ¾ in. x (H) ½ in. For 2010+ Lexus models (except for GX460), a switch is no longer required! The activation/deactivation of our system is now integrated with the factory buttons on the steering wheel!

Bolding mine.

Pretty obvious how this works. They plug into the wiring harnesses between the head unit and all of its sensors. When you press the button, the head unit is disconnected from the GPS data feed (and/or an "I am not moving" feed is sent) and the disconnected from the speed (wheel turn) sensor, and told via whatever wire the vehicle is in park and so forth.

Shouldn't be too hard to make one of these, if you can find all the connectors somewhere. Perhaps a car stereo installation kit, or similar. Then, depending on your electronics skills, anything from a microprocessor to a few relays should do the trick.

Why even make a switch when you can permanently disconnect the vehicle speed sensor? Does the GPS system ever need the VSS input to operate?

Yes, it is used for dead reckoning in the absence of a GPS signal such as in a garage.

BudRaymond said:
Why even make a switch when you can permanently disconnect the vehicle speed sensor? Does the GPS system ever need the VSS input to operate?

BudRaymond said:

ya does not work. it was suggested at priuschat and it works for about 5 seconds, then GPS detects movement and it disables mapping functions AND disables audio turn by turn instructions.... so definitely a non solution

spent over half a day, disassembling the entire dash to disable wire, only to test it a bit and have to do it all over again to reconnect the wire. the wire was thin and i did not have anything really to splice it, so i taped it up.

that lasted about a year or so (dont know since i generally use the MUCH more accurated and updated Google Maps) then it probably became disconnected. still have not gotten around to a more permanent fix.

I never know what to say when people ask if the Leaf has "Voice Recognition".
"No" seems like the most accurate answer.
I don't count a few useless commands that got them a "voice recognition" checkbox on the marketing list.

The slacker engineers responsible for this travesty should be forced to sit in the corner with the Cognitive Science drop-out who decided LONG SKINNY buttons stacked on each other were a perfect match to fingers and a small touchscreen.

Alas, I've been lamenting the pathetic state of vehicle interfaces from some time, but it's clear the whole situation won't change until someone much more "vertical" gets involved. Car designers today are really glorified supply-chain managers... this piece comes from here, that one comes from there, the interface spec needs to be incredibly detailed, and the parts need to fit together in three years for a five year production run.

The whole industry needs their own version of an "Apple" to come along, do it right once, and raise the bar ten notches to where this doesn't pass as "good enough" any more. Then we'll see progress.

GroundLoop said:
The whole industry needs their own version of an "Apple" to come along, do it right once, and raise the bar ten notches to where this doesn't pass as "good enough" any more. Then we'll see progress.

Tesla is our current automotive Apple.

TomT said:
Not at its current price point. It would have to cost the same as most of the other electric cars (as the iPhone does to other cell phones) to be a true equivalent...

Not necessarily. The original iPhone was priced at $499 and $599 (4 gb and 8 gb, respectively) when it originally came on the market. I believe that price was well above other "smartphones" at the time. While it was certainly innovative compared to the Blackberry phones and Windows phone at the time, its market price also restricted it to early adopters. Of course, they did drop the price by $200 short after, which is likely what allowed it to better penetrate the market.

Back