Help, need navigation while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why switch works while disconnecting the signal permanently does not?
thinking where to put the switch now

Stunt822 said:
Why switch works while disconnecting the signal permanently does not?
thinking where to put the switch now
The speed is needed for the GPS location to function properly. When it's turned off you can enter addresses but your location will not properly track.

Correct. Once in a while I forget to throw the switch back to the normal position, and then later I wonder why the GPS location is way off. :roll:
Ideally, a momentary pushbutton switch would be better, which would initiate a 30 second "unlock", to give you just enough time to change or select whatever you are looking for, and then automatically lock the NAV again.

TonyWilliams said:
GroundLoop said:
The whole industry needs their own version of an "Apple" to come along, do it right once, and raise the bar ten notches to where this doesn't pass as "good enough" any more. Then we'll see progress.
Tesla is our current automotive Apple.
Yes, exactly like Apple: ridiculously overpriced and suitable only for the very rich who want another toy and the very foolish who spend money they can't afford in the hope others will think they're cool.

My six year old Acura could do almost anything via voice. You don't need a Tesla just not the car without the worst NAV on the market. NIssan's telematics/NAV is the joke of the auto industry IMO. Three or four voice commands? Did they pay by the letter?

Rat said:
TonyWilliams said:
GroundLoop said:
The whole industry needs their own version of an "Apple" to come along, do it right once, and raise the bar ten notches to where this doesn't pass as "good enough" any more. Then we'll see progress.
Yes, exactly like Apple: ridiculously overpriced and suitable only for the very rich who want another toy and the very foolish who spend money they can't afford in the hope others will think they're cool.

Great, maybe AT&T will negotiate a contract and we will only have to pay $2,999 to buy one, but be stuck in a two year contract.

:lol:

Rat said:
TonyWilliams said:
GroundLoop said:

I don't think you understand their model at all nor why the car is expensive. Your entire assessment of Tesla seems quite uninformed. If you compare a LEAF and model S in terms of economies of scale, quality and cost to build I think the LEAF is far more over priced and certainly a product that is not backed up by the manufacturer. As Tesla is highly customer focused because of the CEOs business philosophy, Nissan would no sooner throw you under the bus or kick you to the dealer curb.

I just hacked it. all it took - small wire, small switch and 30 minutes of time.

http://youtu.be/NKAdTIMAC1M

navigation does get confused for a little bit, but quickly recovers when switch is back on.
So much better. And safer!

I disagree that this hack is safer, but I think it's a close call. The lockout feature is pretty silly, IMO, at least for navigation. I don't believe the driver should be using the cell phone while driving, even if it's hands free. That is a safety issue. In fact, even a conversation by the passenger would be too distracting if done using the car phone (i.e. speakerphone) although I assume if a passenger wanted to call he or she could do so with a regular cell phone. But it is the conversation that is distracting, not the dialing. Note at 3:29 in the video that you can still use Previous Destinations while moving, which I have used successfully while driving several times in the past, so it is only new destinations that are blocked out. You can program in all your destinations for the trip before you start, or even while stopped at a light, then call them up as you need them while moving. I've done that, too.

i wouldn't post if i didn't use this car for 1 year.
It's like you bought new fridge, but it won't let you open door untill 5 past hour.
Just let me use my thing. If I want to kill myself - i don't need fancy navigation system.

My life is still rather full of events - often i would find myself googling up shop or address, which i need to go to. I need to then enter it in navigation (like leafs system more than iphone navigation)

and pulling off freeway to programm it - plain absurd. 15k miles on my Leaf now - too manh times this lockout been in the way.
Before hack i had to use iphone with google maps for navigation - trying to hold it when driving, and looking on small screen for directions.

Driving is a dangerious thing. Want to be safe - stay home. But if driving - be responsible. No need to shift responsibility to freedom limiting devices. Or if limiting - do it smart. There is a huge weight measuring sensor in the passenger seat. (hint)

I've looked to see if this has been answered - I don't think so. The navigation to charging stations does not work in my 2013 Leaf. Is there anyway to work around this? It would seem to me that having to pull over by the side of the road all the time would not be particularly safe.

Verne

Back