Hi to all Leaf drivers with poor batteries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky

Hello there. My name is Srecko, which means Lucky in English. I'm from Slovenia and I'm an electronics engineer. I'm self-employed and deal with all kinds of electronics. Reason I joined this forum was in search of various information about Nissan Leaf and maybe even share some of my experiences with it. I also produce a version of OpenEVSE modules in my shop.

This spring I got one rather badly maintained Nissan Leaf as a test car for my OpenEVSE modules. It is 2016 made with 30kWh battery, but high mileage of 155,000 and mostly charged on quick charges. Later after we cleaned it and used it as if it was ours, it grew to my wife's heart and we bought it cheaply from my partner company. Battery was very poor and in cold temperatures it didn't go anywhere. Battery SOH was at 61%, but Hx was around 25%. So I bought four MEB packs from VW ID.4, disassembled them and replaced all the battery cells in this Leaf (Boy it sounds easy and quick :)). So my wife now enjoys an EV with pretty good range for commuting.

But since that wasn't enough, I accidentally ran across another Leaf Tekna 2019 with 115,000 miles and almost dead battery. It was driven on long distances in hot summer and charged on quick chargers a lot, so the battery almost blew and is having insulation issues. Of course I had to buy it and for this one I ordered brand new battery cells from CATL and they are on their way somewhere around Greece at this point. I will document the replacement procedure in detail and share it, if anybody would be interested. There are some things not yet clear to me about resetting the SOH, bars and reported capacity, but I hope I will find a solution for that too.

If you came so far then thanks for reading and I wish you happy holidays.

Srecko

Hello there. My name is Srecko, which means Lucky in English. I'm from Slovenia and I'm an electronics engineer. I'm self-employed and deal with all kinds of electronics. Reason I joined this forum was in search of various information about Nissan Leaf and maybe even share some of my experiences with it. I also produce a version of OpenEVSE modules in my shop.

This spring I got one rather badly maintained Nissan Leaf as a test car for my OpenEVSE modules. It is 2016 made with 30kWh battery, but high mileage of 155,000 and mostly charged on quick charges. Later after we cleaned it and used it as if it was ours, it grew to my wife's heart and we bought it cheaply from my partner company. Battery was very poor and in cold temperatures it didn't go anywhere. Battery SOH was at 61%, but Hx was around 25%. So I bought four MEB packs from VW ID.4, disassembled them and replaced all the battery cells in this Leaf (Boy it sounds easy and quick :)). So my wife now enjoys an EV with pretty good range for commuting.

But since that wasn't enough, I accidentally ran across another Leaf Tekna 2019 with 115,000 miles and almost dead battery. It was driven on long distances in hot summer and charged on quick chargers a lot, so the battery almost blew and is having insulation issues. Of course I had to buy it and for this one I ordered brand new battery cells from CATL and they are on their way somewhere around Greece at this point. I will document the replacement procedure in detail and share it, if anybody would be interested. There are some things not yet clear to me about resetting the SOH, bars and reported capacity, but I hope I will find a solution for that too.

If you came so far then thanks for reading and I wish you happy holidays.

Srecko

Hello Srecko, I have new Nissan Leaf battery modules ( 40Kw, 53Kw, and 63Kw). These are the upgraded modules from Hong Kong where most of the modules are manufactured for the global market.

Hello Srecko, I have new Nissan Leaf battery modules ( 40Kw, 53Kw, and 63Kw). These are the upgraded modules from Hong Kong where most of the modules are manufactured for the global market.
Let's be honest, please!!
I'll wager these ARE NOT OE Nissan Leaf Battery modules......🤬
They are almost certainly generic cells that can, with a lot of labour and even more knowledge, be adapted, with suitable wiring, to fit and work inside a Leaf Battery case........
I suspect that's why there's no photo & no prices.......
🤷‍♂️

Congrats on your battery packs Srecko. Nicely done!

You are correct that resetting the SOH, bars and reported capacity can be a challenge.

Looking forward to seeing how you overcome this. Thanks for offering to share your documenting of the process.

They are almost certainly generic cells that can, with a lot of labour and even more knowledge, be adapted, with suitable wiring, to fit and work inside a Leaf Battery case........
🤷‍♂️
Srecko, my company, Premier Automotive Export sold the very first Nissan Leaf in the Caribbean in 2012 and now there are thousands of Nissan Leafs on public roads. Many of the vehicles are now showing signs of degradation and I had to find a solution. Nissan selling its battery division to Envision EAS in China only caused the situation to be more challenging in acquiring battery packs. My team started replacing the modules only on mostly 24kw packs and now we are expanding and using the new improved 40Kw, 53Kw and 63Kw modules. This service has saved many Nissan Leaf owners thousands of dollars and doubled the range. I am now seeking a service facility (USA) that would like to perform this service.

Srecko, my company, Premier Automotive Export sold the very first Nissan Leaf in the Caribbean in 2012 and now there are thousands of Nissan Leafs on public roads. Many of the vehicles are now showing signs of degradation and I had to find a solution. Nissan selling its battery division to Envision EAS in China only caused the situation to be more challenging in acquiring battery packs. My team started replacing the modules only on mostly 24kw packs and now we are expanding and using the new improved 40Kw, 53Kw and 63Kw modules. This service has saved many Nissan Leaf owners thousands of dollars and doubled the range. I am now seeking a service facility (USA) that would like to perform this service.
It looks like you have a location in Miami Fl already according to Google @ 4141 NW 36th St, Miami, FL 33142 is this correct? If so then why would you need a service facility in the US unless this is just a office. I might consider being a assembler in Ontario Canada

It looks like you have a location in Miami Fl already according to Google @ 4141 NW 36th St, Miami, FL 33142 is this correct? If so then why would you need a service facility in the US unless this is just a office. I might consider being a assembler in Ontario Canada

Our core business is electric vehicle export to the Caribbean and Cuba. The Miami address is just an office.

🤷‍♂️
Premier Automotive Export, Ltd sold the first Nissan Leaf in the Caribbean in 2017 ( The Guyana Embassy in Havana, Cuba) and now have hundreds of Nissan Leafs throughout the Caribbean. We have been installing new modules from China for the past 2 years since Envision AESC is the company that now controls the battery operations for both Nissan and BMW. Envision is also constructing manufacturing plants in Tenn and KY currently. Envision supplies Nissan modules plus installation kits for select retailers in China that come with a warranty. The modules (set) come with CAN Bridge, BMS Harness, BUS BAR, and brackets. Our techs in the Caribbean have hade no issues with the modules and I am now planning to setup an operation in the USA.

Congrats on your battery packs Srecko. Nicely done!
You are correct that resetting the SOH, bars and reported capacity can be a challenge.
Looking forward to seeing how you overcome this. Thanks for offering to share your documenting of the process.
Thank you! I have successfully reset the SOH in my first car since it was climbing very slowly, it didn't reset the bars on the dash. I just received the bare cells for my 2nd job. I will be posting the progress on this forum, if there will be any interest. MOQ was 100, so I have 4 pcs spare. I'll stay in touch.

1706793823468.png

Back