New Leaf Battery Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethellan

I purchased an imported Japanese 2017 Nissan Leaf and am worried about a range drop I noticed after charging overnight.

When I drove off this morning the battery was at 90% with a range of 166k showing. I drove my wife the 6k to work and the range had dropped by almost 20k. After another 2k drive the battery is sitting at 83% and I have a range of 143k. 7% drop in battery and 23k drop in range when I have only driven about 8k.

Should I be worried here?

Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8400.jpeg
    IMG_8400.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8401.jpeg
    IMG_8401.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8402.jpeg
    IMG_8402.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Welcome!

There's no need to worry. That range number is provided by what we call the "guess-o-meter". It's basically the car's computer calculating and guessing how much range you have left based on driving behavior, use of accessories, etc. The number is an always-changing value and most people don't have much use for it. You can read more about it in various threads on this forum.

I purchased an imported Japanese 2017 Nissan Leaf and am worried about a range drop I noticed after charging overnight.

When I drove off this morning the battery was at 90% with a range of 166k showing. I drove my wife the 6k to work and the range had dropped by almost 20k. After another 2k drive the battery is sitting at 83% and I have a range of 143k. 7% drop in battery and 23k drop in range when I have only driven about 8k.

Should I be worried here?

Any input appreciated.
The 30kWh Leaf will do roughly 6.3km per kWh of energy consumed. The 9 km of driving should have taken roughly 1.5 kWh of energy out of the battery (about 7%). Without knowing the ambient temperature, terrain, driving conditions or if climate control was being utilized, I'd have to say that's not bad efficiency for a 30kWh Leaf with 43,000 km on the clock. As henrydehoja mentioned above, the GOM is more of a "guess-o-meter". The GOM indication will jump in its predicted range depending upon how the Leaf has been driven over the last 15 minutes or so and if the climate control was on. Turn OFF the climate control and watch what happens to the GOM reading.

Last edited:
Back