Home link

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonewild

Hi I have been looking into the home link feature. It looks like it uses the X10 standard and you have to buy a transceiver and the control module at about $12 each. I want to use one bottom to control the garage door and the other a inside light when I come home past dark.

yup, here is the link: http://www.homelink.com/faqs.php

I have this on my 2010 Prius, you need the X-10 RF transponder module, to have the ability to control X-10 modules. I haev 3 buttons on my Prius mirroe, one opens/coses the garage, and the other 2, well they turn the garage door lights on, and the off. You need 2 buttons for on/off control, so all 3 buttons get used. I have X-10 light switches (applicance modules), that control the (8) 60W flurescent ceiling mounted lights in the garage, and I can turn them on and off with homelink. It's very nice.

So you need 2 buttons 1 for on 1 for off. That suxks. Why did it not use the same button to toggle on then off.

Still nice and I want to use all feature of the car.

Isn't there an X10 "toggle" command?

Maybe not that useful for MOST people.

So, HomeLink is basically just a 3-button X10 wireless Remote?

Other X10 remotes are easily available.

Most garage door openers come with lights that come on automatically, right?

You can use x10 module to control many types of things more then lights. Even over the internet using your home pc connected to the internet.

Gonewild said:
You can use x10 module to control many types of things more then lights. Even over the internet using your home pc connected to the internet.
But you need many other devices to do that - not just a x-10 remote.

Besides, x-10 is notoriously finicky & unreliable.

ps : I've been using x-10 for a decade. Now I use Insteon + X-10.

evnow said:
Gonewild said:
But you need many other devices to do that - not just a x-10 remote.

Besides, x-10 is notoriously finicky & unreliable.

ps : I've been using x-10 for a decade. Now I use Insteon + X-10.
I have read that there is an x10 pro standard which is a better unit a higher standard.

Homelink is NOT an X-10 only system, it is capable of learning and repeating virtually any RF remote. It can learn a garage door button press, just as well as an X-10 RF remote control as well. It needs 2 butons for x-10 control of on and off because that's how the X-10 RF remote works. Homelink just mimics whatever you program it with.

mitch672 said:
Homelink is NOT an X-10 only system, it is capable of learning and repeating virtually any RF remote. It can learn a garage door button press, just as well as an X-10 RF remote control as well. It needs 2 butons for x-10 control of on and off because that's how the X-10 RF remote works. Homelink just mimics whatever you program it with.
What brand do you know will work? Web site I can buy from if you know. thanks.

Gonewild said:
Hi I have been looking into the home link feature. It looks like it uses the X10 standard and you have to buy a transceiver and the control module at about $12 each. I want to use one bottom to control the garage door and the other a inside light when I come home past dark.

Homelink likely works with your current garage door opener without an adapter. If you live in a gated community, it will likely operate your gate as well. One button for your gate, one button for your garage door, one button to turn on your blender as you pull into the drive.

Gonewild said:
I know it will work on my garage door but I want it to turn on other things like indoor lights.

There are modules from "Chamberlin" that work for indoor lights...

google: "CLLAD", here is a link to one on Amazon.... I put this in a friend of mines house, turns on and off the lamp inside the house, from the car...

http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-CLLAD-Remote-Light-Control/dp/B00198OX1O

mitch672 said:
Gonewild said:
I know it will work on my garage door but I want it to turn on other things like indoor lights.

google: "CLLAD", here is a link to one on Amazon.... I put this in a friend of mines house, turns on and off the lamp inside the house, from the car...

If I where to buy that item do you still need a transceiver or does it work directly from the car?

homelink should do everything you need. i have it on my Prius and it works fine. as far as X-10. its ok. i put it in at my old house but its pretty proprietary and a bit flaky.

sometimes i had to hit the controller a bunch of times for it to work. not all channels seemed to be compatible with each other so a lot of channel hopping was required at first to get it working and it is a considerable extra expense

I have Homelink in all my vehicles (including my motorcycle) and use it with my garage door openers and a complete Insteon lighting system at home. Works great. I've found X-10 to be horribly unreliable and inconsistent, by the way...

Gonewild said:
mitch672 said:
Gonewild said:

If I where to buy that item do you still need a transceiver or does it work directly from the car?

works directly from the RF remote, in fact the "CLLAD" learns the remote button directly, no other transciever is needed...

Back