Home solar panels- who's got them?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gmuzhik said:
Thanks LEAFer! I tried searching on noise and did not find that link. So far, I'm not impressed with the search engine on MNL.

I would say the same thing about almost any forum I visit. However, they've implemented a solution.

mnlsearch.jpg

Hope that helps.

Home solar panels, carry on! :mrgreen:

TonyWilliams said:
We tested my new solar installation today. Waiting for SDG&E (electric company) approval. I'm leaving town, so not sure how much will get done while I'm gone.

Tony,

What orientation is your roof with the panels?

TonyWilliams said:
We tested my new solar installation today. Waiting for SDG&E (electric company) approval. I'm leaving town, so not sure how much will get done while I'm gone.
That's a thing of beauty, Tony! You'll be really cranking out the juice with that array. Congratulations! That must be over 7 kW AC!? :mrgreen: Sweeeeeet!

TonyWilliams said:
Nice array Tony! I just went through this process with SDG&E. They wait until the city inspection is complete and approved. So before SDG&E gives you the authorization to operate they need to reprogram your meter and map your system into their database. They report quarterly to the PUC how long this process takes. For the last few years it's been averaging about three days. In my case it took 13 days! I sent emails and left messages with SDG&E and the PuC and got nowhere. Finally a SDG&E supervisor called me about the problem. He said they had a lot of PV systems coming online, but couldn't believe I hadn't received the authorization to operate yet. He said he would call me back. In five minutes he called back and said "throw the breaker" and he would make sure I received an authorization to operate email soon. So you may need to "bird dog" them if you don't hear from them after several days. The other thing I learned is that there is really no reason they need to wait until the city inspection. They don't inspect your system, they only reprogram the metere and modify the database. It's just their process and it only serves to add to the delay.

Got this note a few minutes ago:

This e-mail is to inform you that your City/County inspection has been received and is being processed by San Diego Gas & Electric's Net Energy Metering Department. The next step is for SDG&E to inspect your solar system. We will conduct your inspection within the next week. Please note: customers do not need to be present for our field inspection. We will be inspecting your electric meter only.

kevintari said:
And who did you use?

What did you pay?

What was your rebate?

I finally get to post! :D
I got my panels on July 1, 2011. But..... I used Salt River Solar out of Phoenix. They were so low I had to go with them.($4.65)

I ordered: 28 Ningbo 240Watt poly panels (6.72Kwh) and a SMA6000 inverter. I signed on JUNE 28,2010.

I paid: $31,248.00 cost - $18,748.00 TEP rebate = $12,499.20 out of pocket. They offered me a 10% discount if I paid in full, so I did in Aug2010. Then nothing for months. I would call and get "any day now", "the week after Thanksgiving", "First of the year". I had given up. Then I found out that the TEP rebate expired and I would have to reapply at $2.00 Kwh instead of $3.00. In march they assured me they were on the way and I would not have to pay any extra. They were going to eat the extra $6000.00? I really gave up. Then June 10, 2011 they called and said they were coming the next day. Up they went. Had to wait two weeks for the inverter, But June 30th,2011 Tep came and installed the new Meter.

As far as the rebate I hope to get $5k to 6K fed and $1k State. I have to send the numbers to the tax guy. :D

So far: Average output for July was 34Kwh. Total to date 1250Kwh My bill for July, with AC, was $50.00

I had to wait but I am happy now.

TucsonDave said:
As far as the rebate I hope to get $5k to 6K fed and $1k State. I have to send the numbers to the tax guy. :D
So far: Average output for July was 34Kwh. Total to date 1250Kwh My bill for July, with AC, was $50.00

Actually, you can get a fed tax credit (can be rolled over each year up to 2016) for $9374 if you take the 30% off the top.

How much was your electric bill last year in July without the PVs? Ours was only $150 last year with less A/C (TOU) than this year's (Basic) which was only $45. Exactly identical homes in our neighborhood averaged $245 for July's bill.

I thought it was 30% of "your" cost? If it is off the top I am REALLY happy.

July2008= $185.00 July2009= $175.00 July2010= $191.00 July2011= $51.00 Yeah!!

I have a 3000sf single level house with two AC units at 13 seer each.

My panels face south at 20 degrees.

Spies said:
drmanny3 said:
They will modernize it and start a new lease, completly remove and repair the roof, or the last one is to leave everything as is and transfer ownership to home.
Manny
I am curious if they gave you actual terms for these options up front. For example I know how much the buyout price for my Leaf is at the end of the lease and I can even go online and get a buyout price right now if I like. Without having these prices negotiated up front I am not sure what value these options add.

These cash up front solar leases are intriguing just the same though.

Yes, the lease contract spells it all out.
Manny

kieodadie said:
SolarCity 5 kwh. Great Service. You can also lease the system.
Hello,
May I ask how much did you pay for your solar system w/ Solarcity? I'm trying to get an estimate of the cost of either buy or leasing the system at 5 Kwh. Thank you.

Back when I acquired my solar system from Solarcity they only initially offered a lease with approximately $1000 down. I did not like the lease as it would go up every year by 3.9% (SCE was estimated to increase at 5% per year). My concern was while initially it would not cost me anything the savings might become less attractive as the lease became older. So If we sold the house, someone might not want to take over the lease. In that case we would be required to pay the remaining payments. So I asked for different options. I asked for a purchase price, and other lease options. They presented me with a lease option that required $5000 and then a fixed payment per month for the life of the lease (mine is 15 years). I liked the idea of a fixed price never going up. If I sold the house and had to pay it off because of the buyer the whole thing would have cost me about $15,000. The purchase option was about $18,000 after rebates. The other option they gave me was a $10,000 lease payment with no further lease payments for the duration of the 15 years. This appeared to be the cheapest option. Plus with money market rates near 1 or 2 % I figured it was better to spend the money if I had it rather than invest it. So I went that route. My system is a 4.7 kw. Since then one of my friends contacted Solarcity. Now the lease is 20 years and they offer you options right up front. He is going to buy a system that is like 5.2 kw and the one time lease payment is $14,000. For that he has no further payments and Solarcity maintains the system and does any repairs for the 20 years. That is such a great deal so much better than buying it outright. Tell them I sent you if you do decide to go with Solarcity, I will get a reward.
Manny :)

IMG_4196.JPG

Installed a year ago by a local contractor, RCC Solar. 7kWh system with room (both on roof and inverters) to add and additional 1kWh. Consists of 32 SunPower panels. Best day of production was 45.42kWh.

RCC solar does a recessed install vs cuting tons of holes (all possible future leaks) in the roof tile. Looks a lot cleaner.

Total System 42K about half recovered through state and Fed programs.

Has anyone added on a battery backup system? We have a small 2.5 kw system, with enough extra power for about 6k miles on the car annually. I was thinking about installing one even before the blackout yesterday. It's hard to justify financially, and I think we could only trickle charge the Leaf for part of the day. Be happy to hear any input.

We installed a 9.4 kWh system 3 months ago after being accepted into the Oregon Solar Incentive Program. Cost was $58,000 and we used a local company. We only receive the 30% federal tax credit and nothing from Oregon with this program....however we are paid $.423 per kw generated and pay $.09 for what we use with a 15 year contract. Sweet deal!

We have bought two systems from Solar City installed in Los Gatos, CA

we installed a 4.2KW (DC rated) system on the house roof in 2009, after rebates we purchased out right for a total cost of $19K including monitoring of power usage option.

Earlier this year, justified by buying the Leaf and switching our furnace to a heat pump and air conditioner unit, we added 7KW DC on the garage roof. We leased it for $10K down and $90/month fixed rate for 20 years. With tax the monthly payment is $98. We have seen combined peak delivered AC power of 10KW with clean panels. We already had monitoring so didn't include that in the second deal.

So far PG&E have owed us over $200 per month, even with the house AC running and Leaf charging most days. We also charge the Leaf at work, doing about 1000 miles a month. That builds up a nice cushion for the winter months. We won't know what the annual net is for another year, but I'm hopeful that we will generate more than we use, since we are in a very sunny spot on top of the mountains.

My contact was Dan Sullivan at Solar City, they have referral bonuses, if I get a bonus I will donate it to http://350.org

Adrian & Laurel

adrianco said:
We have bought two systems from Solar City installed in Los Gatos, CA

and switching our furnace to a heat pump...

My contact was Dan Sullivan at Solar City, they have referral bonuses, if I get a bonus I will donate it to http://350.org

Adrian & Laurel

What kind of heat pump did you get? Does it run on gas or electricity? How satisfied are you with its performance? Thanks for any info as I am considering what to do for home heating besides temporary electric space heaters (old gas furnace gone and don't know what would be best for substitute).

4 kwh system installed by the Solar Store. Tucson Electric Power provided panels at 1/3 off of wholesale price. This was 8 years ago.

Back