Homelink rearview mirror

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAR64

Help! I have a 2014 Leaf that had a basic rearview, I ordered an auto dimming / homelink from Ebay from a junk Leaf or just Nissan. Anyway it came with three wires (black +, White -, Red - not sure maybe constant) I pulled the from map lights and found a harness with 5 wires running to it. I took the three leads from the mirror and ran them to the harness, the black and red from the mirror I tied together and ran it to what seemed to read as hot on the map harness, the white from the mirror I ran to the ground of the map harness. Okay don't laugh but he I go! The mirror works great when the door is open or the dome light is on, once the lights time out or turn off the mirror turns off. If I want to use homelink I have to turn on the dome light. What did I do wrong???? Yes I wired it work but what color wires go to what??? Please help.

I have a 2015 S level EV and have the same situation. It works well for me as I have to open the door to get into the car so the Homelink is then powered and the mirror and compass work. When the EV is energized the overhead electrics are powered all the time so the mirror, compass and Homelink are powered. When I return home the Homelink is available to open/close the garage door. My EV takes 5+ minutes to time-out the map lights so I originally thought it was powered all the time. Another reader had to point out to me that the timer actually turned off the mirror after a I went to bed! With the timer in place the 12v battery is not discharged during vacations, an added feature!

ed: OK reread your post and it may be possible that you have picked the wrong +12 lead in the overhead. There is another set of post regarding the installation of the Homelink that has pictures. I couldn't find it but I know it is somewhere on this forum.

Use a multimeter to find which wire is constant hot and which is ground? Then go from there. From a quick google search, you may need to have one lead to constant 12v (I would guess red), one wire to ground (I would guess black), and one wire to +12v from the back-up (reverse) light (probably white, this keeps the mirror from auto dimming when in reverse). If my wiring explanation is correct, you should be able to do without the white wire connected, at least for a test. Sorry I can't be more help.

What are the other colors available on the map lamp harness? On my 2011 yellow was 12v for the map lamps, and that's where I pulled power for the vanity lamp in my Sentra sunvisor. Don't remember any of the other colors because once I'd found the one I needed that was my only focus.

Thank you all for taking the time to help! I am going to pull the map light unit again this weekend to check with a test light and see what other colors are in the harness. I know there were a total of five and the yellow was hot which I did connect to but I must of messed something up and back to the drawing board. Thx again.

Back