House Bill to repeal PlugIn EV credit Let them Hear it!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrInnovation

FYI, there is a bill pending in the house (H.R. 3768: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal the credit for plug-in electric drive vehicles. H.R. 3768 was introduced by Rep. Mike Kelly, R-PA, (one of the 25 richest members of Congress, and a Chevy/Caddy Dealer that hates the Volt).

You can lodge your view on the bill at a VOX Poll at
https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr3768/report#nation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your view will also forwarded to your own congressional representative.

Unfortunately snowballs have been having a better chance in hell lately!

I used up ever last space they gave me in the comment section, thanks for posting!

"I have been studying alternative ways of getting off of foreign oil for some twenty years. To date there is no better way we can transition away from foreign oil than electrifying the automobile. The oil industry gets massive subsidies from the tax payers in the form of military action in the middle east and the some 50 billion we spend annually to defend the shipping passages around the world for oil. The $7,500 tax credit will expire on it's own, whereas our tax payer subsidy for oil goes on seemingly forever. I have now put 10,000 miles on our 100% electric Nissan Leaf for under $300 in domestic, renewable electricity. This car is capable of taking an 80% charge in 30 minutes without any damage to the battery. Most people just don't understand how far this technology has come. Turns out there is so much off peak wasted electricity capacity that tens of millions of electric cars could be charged each night during off peak without burning any more coal or spliting any more atoms. the time to move away from oil is now! Li-Ion batteries are revolutionary!"

Done!

Don't read the opposing views (in support of the amendment) unless you want to raise your blood pressure a few points.

Yikes, a hotbed of misinformation and hatred for the EV. One says that EV drivers should be charged a special tax for using too much electricity... Wow.

DrInnovation said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
bill does not have a snowball's chance in Hell of passing

I certainly hope so.. but still good to turn up the heat to reduce the change. And a strong showing might stop other silliness.

oh i have weighed in here and in several other forums, blogs, etc.

Boomer23 said:
Yikes, a hotbed of misinformation and hatred for the EV. One says that EV drivers should be charged a special tax for using too much electricity... Wow.

Expect more vehement opinions as EVs start to become a real presence.

First they ignore you.
Then they mock you.
Then, they fight you.
Then you win.

--Ghandi

The best place to weigh in is with an email directly to your representative. Opinions for constituents matter more than anonymous opinion polls.

nogajim said:
The best place to weigh in is with an email directly to your representative. Opinions for constituents matter more than anonymous opinion polls.

the link takes you to a poll which is anonymous to the public but does require your contact info to determine the actual rep to send to...

i am a bit disappointed that we only have 8 of 9 dissenting opinions in WA State. who thinks its a good idea? must be the Caddy dealer down the street!

DaveinOlyWA said:
bill does not have a snowball's chance in Hell of passing
I think it could easily pass the House, given the Tea Party Republican's ideological conviction that free and unfettered markets are the solution to all the country's ills, and that the government should not intervene in any way, but it would never pass in the Senate and the president would certainly veto it if it did come to his desk.

TT

Well if it is about saving money or fixing the deficit..... how about increasing the gasoline and diesel excise tax by $1 while you pull the rug out of the fledging EV market?

Nubo said:

America has always been a hotbed of people with class envy and hatred of the rich.. the common people resent that there is a tax credit for "wealthy" individuals to buy electric cars. Anyone that makes $14 an hour considers a household with $150k income to be wealthy... and probably they are right.

My compromise would be to make the tax credit only applicable to batteries manufactured in the US.. that would encourage cell manufacturing here. Its not a tax rebate so it should be legal under world trading rules.

those of us who are taking the $ risk and buying first generation mass produced EV's that will surely decline in value on a steeper curve, regardless of how wealthy, are the ones paving the way for mass production and economy of scale to make EV's affordable for everyone eventually. I just don't buy the argument that the tax credit is for those who can already afford it. For us, buying the Leaf was not done lightly, we are a family of 4, two kids in daycare, etc, and the tax credit made it financially possible for us.

Herm said:
Nubo said:

America has always been a hotbed of people with class envy and hatred of the rich.. the common people resent that there is a tax credit for "wealthy" individuals to buy electric cars. Anyone that makes $14 an hour considers a household with $150k income to be wealthy... and probably they are right.

My compromise would be to make the tax credit only applicable to batteries manufactured in the US.. that would encourage cell manufacturing here. Its not a tax rebate so it should be legal under world trading rules.

nogajim said:

My rep (Campbell) is a rebuglican ex-car dealer here in Orange County, and he is typical of all that gave our county such a right wing reputation. He will fully ignore any opinion that I send to him. I'd rather send my opinion to Congress in general, but then I'd really be a voice in the wind. Still, I sent my opinion anyway.

Back