How best to sell old (hybrid) car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsbca

Not sure if this is the right subgroup - maybe a moderator can move it if not...

The question is - what's the best way for me to do a by-owner sale of our existing car - 2003 Civic Hybrid. Trading it in didn't seem feasible as they weren't even blinking at low wholesale KBB, and I just can't see taking that kind of a loss when it _appears_ similar vehicles are being successfully sold, by private parties, at or above retail KBB.

So - any recommendations on Auto Trader vs. E-bay Motors vs. Craigslist, or any other method? All of the above? Also, any current advice on how to safely execute a sale? Eg. cash exchange AT a bank/credit union so a teller can examine the bills..or is that really necessary? It's been decades since I have sold a car. Again, this is a 2003 (first year) Civic Hybrid - it gets great mileage, is not beat up, has yellow California carpool stickers (expiring July 2011, unfortunately - I think if those had been extended it would be a fairly easy sell). 97K miles, which is the main reason the dealer didn't really want it - they'd have had to wholesale it themselves rather than turn it around on their lot...but the hybrid components still have 50K miles left under warranty (unfortunately, the emissions components do not since it happens to be ULEV not SULEV - so we just sank a bundle into a new catalytic converter just weeks before the LEAF arrived).

Anyway - thanks for any thoughts on which sales mechanism would be most effective.

Wade
Blue Ocean ETEC - purchase complete today, had to go back to work for a meeting so we're going back for final pickup tonight.

Myself and another on here had offered to buy anyones used Prius for personal use, so posting here is a good idea in my opinion. We didn't get very many responses however.

Also in my opinion, Craigslist is good for lower priced cars, cars with issues, or people needing a quick sale at the expense of a fair price. Autotrader and the like is better for nice cars and fair prices. I sold a car on ebay a few years ago, which was painless. Ebay prices seem to vary a lot depending on your auction timing, buyers, and the car.

I have a similar issue, selling my 2010 Prius, except it's only a year old and has about 15K miles on it. I'm thinking the best methods are what you've named already, but eBay is fairly pricey and people often flake out on you ( back out ). I sold my 2001 Prius there in late 2003, before I picked up my Gen 2 2004 Prius, did ok and didn't take too bad a beating. The buyer paid most via paypal and bank checks (which cleared) before they flew up from Florida then drove it back.

The other idea, if you can afford to wait a bit, gasoline is moving up in price, and as it moves up in price, so does the value of any high MPG vehicle. So my thinking is to wait, to get more interested buyers, and the way things look, $4 or $4.50 / gallon gas isn't too far off

Don't forget that in California the car has to have a current smog certificate - whether you live in LA or in Mammoth. The inspection is supposed to be paid for and done by the seller.

I would start with a sign in the car and a local ad in the paper, then slowly expand until you get some bites. EBay isn't a bad option, Craigslist, autotrader, etc.

Not sure how much you are trying to get, but cash is always king. On the title you have to list the price paid for the car (by the buyer) and that is what sales tax is paid on. Unless there is a documented reason for the car selling way below KBB, you take a big chance massively under-declaring the buying price. I think the seller is to count the sales price as income and pay income tax on that - not sure if there is any CA-DMV reporting on that. So if you are talking about a few thousand - cash works really well. If you are up to many many thousands, then you'll likely need to make other arrangements.

mitch672 said:
The other idea, if you can afford to wait a bit, gasoline is moving up in price, and as it moves up in price, so does the value of any high MPG vehicle. So my thinking is to wait, to get more interested buyers, and the way things look, $4 or $4.50 / gallon gas isn't too far off

I'm with Mitch on this opinion. I've seen car buyers go crazy to get the highest mpg vehicle they can when gas prices go up. The last time we hit $4/gallon, people were paying a $4,000 premium for Prius at the local Toyota dealer. It makes no economic sense, but people act crazy when they have to shell out at the pump. If you can wait for a high gas price period, you'll probably do better.

LakeLeaf said:
I think the seller is to count the sales price as income and pay income tax on that
I'm pretty sure that would only be true if you sold it for more than you bought it, so that you would have a capital gain.

Wayne

i used craigs list because it free. i would start with that. sold my Zenn. requested cash only and if you have a concern, give the person a ride to the bank.

wsbca said:
The question is - what's the best way for me to do a by-owner sale of our existing car - 2003 Civic Hybrid. - any recommendations on Auto Trader vs. E-bay Motors vs. Craigslist, or any other method?
Had my 04 Murano for sale to make room for the LEAF. I listed on Craigslist, Auto Trader, and put the car on a By-Owner lot. 15 responses, 8 from the lot, 7 from Craigslist, nothing from Auitotrader. Best offer was from the lot.

mynameisjim said:
Myself and another on here had offered to buy anyones used Prius for personal use, so posting here is a good idea in my opinion. We didn't get very many responses however.

Also in my opinion, Craigslist is good for lower priced cars, cars with issues, or people needing a quick sale at the expense of a fair price. Autotrader and the like is better for nice cars and fair prices. I sold a car on ebay a few years ago, which was painless. Ebay prices seem to vary a lot depending on your auction timing, buyers, and the car.

Glad you mention that... since I am buying a Leaf, I am looking to sell my 2006 Prius. It's loaded (except for leather) and even has built-in XM radio. 88K mileage... and I am looking at $10,900. Very good, clean condition. One-owner, garaged, no smoking ever in the car. I'm in the Los Angeles area. You can leave a message for me here if you're interested. Thanks, Bob

Knowing that my Leaf was coming at or around Christmas, I sold my 2000 Toyota Celica on eBay in September. I figured it would do better in warmer weather before people spend their money on Christmas presents, etc.

I set it up for a 10 day auction and it sold for $6,000 (about $800 or $900 above the average pricing service value). The buyer was from Florida, and was interested in the car because I had taken really good care of it and it only had 85,000 miles in 11 years. He paid $1,000 to ship it to Florida and wired me the funds to my checking account. It was painless.

I would highly recommend eBay, and also would suggest posting lots of photos...The best thing was that the car was sold after 10 days, no horsing around...

I hope that helps...Randy

If you sell the car before getting leaf, what do you do in the meantime ?
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Ride your bike - that's what I have been doing. Rain has been a little tough.....

Prep the car (clean, etc.) and get good pictures. Lots of pictures! Summarize maintenance/repair history. Put it on ebay with a high starting or reserve price - top dollar.

If it sells, great. If not, it'll be an ad that'll get at least nation-wide coverage for very little money. It may not sell on ebay, but should bring some potential buyers to follow-up with. You can do final negotiations and close the sale off the ebay system if you'd like. Ebay has integrated shipping contacts as well - you and the buyer can get shipping quotes from within the ebay system.

DaveinOlyWA said:
AndyH said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
what does e-bay charge to sell your car?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/motorfees.html
Looks like zero listing fee and $125 if an item sells for more than $2000.01.

oh well that is cheap since they do provide a secure method of transferring payment ? or not?

Yes and No. While eBay does own Paypal, paypal has their own fee structure to accept money, so no, there additional costs to receive money via paypal

DaveinOlyWA said:
AndyH said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
what does e-bay charge to sell your car?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/motorfees.html
Looks like zero listing fee and $125 if an item sells for more than $2000.01.

oh well that is cheap since they do provide a secure method of transferring payment ? or not?

I'd go in the direction of an immediate paypal deposit with the balance due by certified funds and/or wire transfer. Depends how far apart the buyer and seller. There are escrow services available as well.

Back