HOW HOT HAS YOUR BATTERY TEMP BARS GONE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcjetpilot

What is the HIGHEST or Max Bars you have seen on BAT TEMP indicator?
I am seeing 6 bars now. But think I may have seen 7 once.. Not sure but I think RED line on Bat Tempature starts at 8 or 9 bars?

I try to charge by timer very early in morning when outside temps are lowest. I avoid driving at peak heat of the day.

Winters are mild here not below freezing most of the time. I recall 3 may be 2 bars as the lowest.

I've hit max temperature bars in my 2013 Leaf over a dozen times when I owned it and when you hit max temperature bars, the Leaf basically runs the same amount of power as "turtle" mode until the battery cools down. The battery was so hot, I could feel the heat radiating from under the Leaf with my hands not even touching it. :?

I've been unable to hit maximum temperature bars in my 2020 because any QC I do is limited in power and even driving many hours at highway speeds in 100F heat seems to still cool the pack down before the next QC stop. So, the most I can reach on purpose in my 2020 Leaf is literally right before the red zone, so that's 10 bars I think? Is 12 bars the max on that temperature screen?

Doing a small 60 miles each way road trip with 1 CHAdeMO QC session halfway I got the battery up to 108 F on the way home in the evening after driving up mid morning. Not optimal I know. Rare occurance.

gmcjetpilot said:
I try to charge by timer very early in morning when outside temps are lowest. I avoid driving at peak heat of the day.
You have the right idea: I used to set my timer for early in the morning when the battery pack had a chance to cool (when I charged every day). I try to avoid charging above 6TB...and driving above 7TB.

My 2017 with a 40 kilowatt hour battery pack barely moves if at all. I charged today giving it about 50% x fill-up. I started with six temp bars and ended with six bars. It was about 80° outside Fahrenheit. I believe the newer batteries are built differently. My old 30 kW pack had no problems gaining two or three temperature bars over 20 to 30 minute of charging in normal summer heat.

The 'internal resistance' of the battery - often assumed to be measured by the Hx reading in LeafSpy - makes a big difference in how much the battery heats up when charged or discharged. The 40kWh packs do seem to have much more stable Hx readings than the 30kWh packs. So if that is truly a measurement of the equivalent resistance of the battery it makes sense that they would heat up less while charging.

goldbrick said:
The 'internal resistance' of the battery - often assumed to be measured by the Hx reading in LeafSpy - makes a big difference in how much the battery heats up when charged or discharged. The 40kWh packs do seem to have much more stable Hx readings than the 30kWh packs. So if that is truly a measurement of the equivalent resistance of the battery it makes sense that they would heat up less while charging.

Data compiled over numerous years (2014 - 2020) for Gen 1 Leafs indicate that Hx is the reciprocal of resistance,
i.e. conductance - decreasing as the battery ages. Gen 2 Leafs seem to be following Gen 1 Hx changes as those
batteries age over 5 years, i.e. Hx (battery conductance) is decreasing.

I park my 2020 SV+ on asphalt in Las Vegas and I've never seen the temp go into the red. In the summer, my garage is about 100F overnight. At that temp, the gauge is about a half inch past the center.

dang10010 said:
My 2017 with a 40 kilowatt hour battery pack barely moves if at all. I charged today giving it about 50% x fill-up. I started with six temp bars and ended with six bars. It was about 80° outside Fahrenheit. I believe the newer batteries are built differently. My old 30 kW pack had no problems gaining two or three temperature bars over 20 to 30 minute of charging in normal summer heat.

Beliefs aside, your experience is explained by the extra wide range of the 6th temp bar, the lower internal resistance and the increased heat capacity that comes with a larger pack

On my 2018, I honestly can't see the segment lines in the temperature bar, but I do know that the hot Texas summer would have the temperature bar right in the dead center until Leafspy hit ~96.5F. At that point the temperature bar extended beyond the mid point.

My daily commute is about 46miles round trip. It was about 50/50 whether the battery temp hit 97F or not. So I haven't been too concerned with overheating the battery.

Max a few times all trips where I needed at least 3 DCFCs in one day. The problem of course is the LEAF being air cooled it cannot cool down that much before the next charge so heat keeps building. As you know this leads to throttling of charge down to around 12kw which is really painful but still faster than l2 6.6kw.

Back