How much do you pay for electricity?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rural co-op (we users technically own it, so not-for-profit) is San Miguel Power Assn. and the charge is 13.7555¢/kWh. They do have a pilot TOU plan, with peak periods being mornings and evenings and off-peak being afternoons and night, but it isn't of interest to me.

The monthly service charge is $16. Since I have solar panels that generated 105% of my annual usage over the last 12 months, the service charge is all I pay (plus a 2% county sales tax). So, roughly $200 a year for electricity service for running my car and my house. It's affordable...

Residential Electric Rate
Cost per Kilowatt Hour (Cents) as of 9/1/13
Single Family Dwelling 8.239
Basic Service $12.00

so reality is I'm paying something closer to $0.10 per once you put tax and service charge into the mix. considering how often they increase the service rate I expect my net charge to be 11 or 12 cents per by next year.

As I switch away from CFLs to LEDs I expect my energy use to continue to drop and my effective price per kwh to rise. As an example I consider a big bill to be when I use 1000 kwh in a month and a small bill to be below 800, the lower it goes the more that basic service charge skews my net rate.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Natural gas is predicted to go up this winter, so may be will buy a bit more from you.

Governor Patrick was in Montreal just last week, and his response was also "maybe."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/tech...r+says+lack+infrastructure/9028261/story.html

The USA not considering Quebec's Hydro-power to be renewable is annoying. Granted, there are environmental impacts to flooding large areas However the main hydro complex (which by itself could meet 100% of Massachusetts' electricity needs) was built 40 years ago, so it's not like we're still having Methane gas released from decaying plants in flooded zones.

RonDawg said:
Send it our way! We could use a bit more electricity over here, with all the electric cars we're buying and leasing

Electricity in exchange for acceptance into the CARB-ZEV treaty would be a good deal for all.

The low electric rates aren't much good to many here who are absolutely unable to purchase a LEAF.

$0.15061/kwh incremental cost here in NH (no usage tiers or anything complex).

the "energy" part of that is about half (57% actually), the rest is transmission, distribution, taxes and fees. I can, in NH, shop the energy portion around to other suppliers. My utility does offer a TOU for the transmission and distribution (but not energy), but the fixed customer charge more than doubles ($12.44 to $28.88), so for my relatively low use it makes no sense at all.

My thought is that i am already buying an electrical service for my home, so the service charge for the meter, and the lower rate tiers really don't matter. I'm just calculating how much EXTRA it costs me to charge my car... My 10.7 cents per KWH was the highest rate tier which I hit every month before I started charging.

:x 26.8 cents per KWh - this includes delivery and taxes. NYC / Westchester area not great if the purpose of owning an ev is to save money by not paying gas.

conEdison NY

electric rate: EL1 Residential or Religious

elmobob said:
:x 26.8 cents per KWh - this includes delivery

conEdison NY

electric rate: EL1 Residential or Religious

ConEd needs to buy more of that cheap Quebec hydro :lol:

dhanson865 said:
Residential Electric Rate
Cost per Kilowatt Hour (Cents) as of 9/1/13
Single Family Dwelling 8.239
Basic Service $12.00

so reality is I'm paying something closer to $0.10 per once you put tax and service charge into the mix. considering how often they increase the service rate I expect my net charge to be 11 or 12 cents per by next year.

As I switch away from CFLs to LEDs I expect my energy use to continue to drop and my effective price per kwh to rise. As an example I consider a big bill to be when I use 1000 kwh in a month and a small bill to be below 800, the lower it goes the more that basic service charge skews my net rate.

same service charge and same kwh used this October as last October (693 vs 694) but a different bill amount. This year it was noticeably cheaper ($5.55). I have both bills in my hand and nothing itemized on the bills shows why the difference in charge.

They used to talk about "fuel surcharges" a bit but you'd think that would be on the higher bill somewhere if it applied. Since it is such a round number I guess that is what it was but they sure do make the billing methods opaque even on an itemized bill.

ColumbiaRiverGorge said:
.0615 kWh 24/7
So cheap, vs. ripoff PG&E. Makes sense though... I remember taking a tour of the power generation facilities at a dam around there. IIRC, it was the Grand Coulee Dam.

Lots of those communities along the columbia in washington and oregon with public power utility districts have insanely cheap power. I suppose it's because the people own the dams that produce the power. I remember on my trip to spokane last summer talking to the nice people who let me charge along the way. The power in Wilbur Wa supplied by Avista, a private utility was over twice as much as Coulee City 30 miles away (supplied by Grant county PUD). And it was more expensive than than from what I hear is the cheapest power in the country, Douglas county PUD. 2 1/3 cents per KWH! I charged up in waterville, and I had a hard time giving the guy some money, he said the power was nearly free! http://www.douglaspud.org/Pages/2013-rates-january-1-2013.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnrhansen said:
http://www.douglaspud.org/Pages/2013-rates-january-1-2013.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daily Charge $0.333
KWH Charge $0.0233
Demand Charge (Monthly) $1.40/KW greater than 50 KW
Minimum Charge $8.80/mo. Plus $3.80/KW>30

That's a pretty complex rate structure. I'd like to see a 500 kwh and 1000 kwh electric bill to see what the net rate is after all the add ons. I'm thinking the price per kwh you see there ($0.0233) is somewhat misleading.

If I'm doing the math right the pretax but post fees would be just over 6 cents per kwh on a 500 kwh monthly bill and somewhere between 3 and 4 cents per kwh on a 1000 kwh monthly bill. I don't know if sales tax applies on top of that.

Of course either way it'd be cheaper than my electric bill now.

In Ontario Canada. We have the following structure in winter and the mid and peak flip for summer.

7.2 c/kwh from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
12.9 c/kwh from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.
10.9 c/kwh from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
7.2 c/kwh on Weekends and holidays

But we also pay tax, a Debt retirement charge (don't ask), and a delivery charge. So for the last two months billing what I used and paid worked out to an average of 15 cents a kwh. To charge the leaf I am always get the 7.2 cent rate.

I do have solar panels though and am in the MicroFIT program. I get paid 54.9 cent a kwh for all energy I produce and will get that rate for 20 years. That means 5500-6000 a year. Ontario had (now it is 39 cents a kwh) some of the best Feed in tariff rates in the world.

I am on SRP's time of use (TOU) plan and only charge during off-peak. That rate ranges between $0.0686 and $0.0704/kWh depending on the season. The peak summer electric demand in Phoenix is understandably very high, so SRP's peak rate tops out at $0.2109 then. I also have a 5kW solar system which provides about half my power. I honestly cannot estimate what the solar power costs me because it depends upon how long we stay in this house with it (amortization period) and whether we are able to recoup any of the cost when we sell. I am also blessed with free charging at work so my "fueling" costs are very low overall.

Back