How much does rain effect range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodtohave

I took a trip a few months back on a cold rainy morning...

Did not use the heat at all but it was raining all the way. I made it with 7km remaining, lots of warning info but not quite Turtle mode.

I plan to do the same trip this weekend, no rain in the forcast but I will need a bit of A/C. What do you think? I will precool on the level 2 before I leave...

The way home is downhill and I charge at the other end so no problem getting home :)

Goodtohave said:
I took a trip a few months back on a cold rainy morning...

Did not use the heat at all but it was raining all the way. I made it with 7km remaining, lots of warning info but not quite Turtle mode.

I plan to do the same trip this weekend, no rain in the forcast but I will need a bit of A/C. What do you think? I will precool on the level 2 before I leave...

The way home is downhill and I charge at the other end so no problem getting home :)

I've also noticed the same: Rain does seem to reduce range, I suspect because of increased rolling resistance. Based on my daily commute driving, I guestimate it's less than 10%. In your case, I think the heater was a bigger factor unless you have a MY 2013 with the heat pump.
For your next trip, if you made it with the heater and rain, you'll be just fine. AC uses less power than the heater. You could pre-cool but you won't gain much. Better off park in the shade if you can.

I didn't use the heat (or climate control) at all last time.

I can be a bit cold but I can't be in a hot car so I will need the A/C.

I am hoping rain takes more juice then some A/C

Assuming it's an increase in rolling resistance due to either hydroplaning (did you notice the car doing this?), simple fluid resistance, or both, then the way to reduce them and get to your destination is to slow down. With hydroplaning it will stop entirely below a certain speed (which depends on your tires and other conditions), but the fluid resistance will just decrease in a proportionate way to speed. Basically, the less water there is on the road under your tires, the less resistance you will encounter.

The rain has more effect on range than I would have thought. Hard to put a number on how much because its hard to quantify light vs heavy rain. Temps also have an effect on how efficient the battery is. Seems like 60 to 80f is the sweet spot for range.

When I looked at wether forecast for Montreal it said high 81 low 53 and 50% chance of rain in AM.

Too each his own, but I would wear light clothing, crack the windows open a bit and leave the A/C in the off position.

Do you have a GID meter or the Battery APP in your car. One of these items makes long trips a lot easier to manage battery power.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make sure the tires are at max PSI and slow down a bit and you should be fine.

Sorry, the rain doesn't "effect" range, ......but it does "affect" range. ;)

You should be okay on your next trip. Yes, keep speed at a reasonable level, pre-cool. Use A/C just enough to keep comfortable.

It is uphill all the way so it was tough last time.

We just had a crazy hot week, very high humidity, luckily it broke last night.

I ordered a Dash display, it is on it's way. I will be sparing with the A/C and will take it very easy as I did last time, I was doing 50-60km/hr in 90km zones, luckily no one was around.

At one point I got a dirty look from an old man in a Subaru I was going so slow!

Strangely I noticed that when I turn off the A/C and use the fan the consumption drops to almost 0 but the GOM does not change, but it is pretty much useless anyways.

KJD said:
The rain has more effect on range than I would have thought. Hard to put a number on how much because its hard to quantify light vs heavy rain. Temps also have an effect on how efficient the battery is. Seems like 60 to 80f is the sweet spot for range.

Heat generates more energy in the battery, not less. Also, heat thin the air to lower air resistance. So, the hottest battery (short of exploding) and the hottest ambient temperature will provide the longest range.

Two things will change that dynamic;

1) Cabin air conditioning can consume more power than gained by having a hot battery (obviously doesn't apply if the AC is off).

2) Cars with TMS (not a LEAF) will keep the battery at a somewhat constant temperature for increased energy in cold weather and decreased degradation in hot weather. There won't be a range advantage in heat, and there will actually be an extremely small penalty of energy used to cool the battery.

So I made it there with 2 bars to go...no problems. No AC.

Made it home with 2 bars, with AC, but it is downhill home. Also did an extra 10km.

By chance my Dash Display was in my mailbox when I got home, I plugged it in and I had 26.8 % SOC,more then I thought, 62 GIDS.

Not sure how much longer I will be able to do this trip depending on capacity loss...

Back