How much longer will the $7,500 rebate be available?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvdmon

I'd heard from my Leaf-owning coworker that the federal incentive is only good for the first 100K cars of a given kind. I'm just wondering if there are any estimates in how close Nissan is. Just want to gauge whether I could wait a few months, or even 6 months if I had to, or if it's really completely unknown when this will end?

derkraut said:
I believe sales are around 50K units; so you should have at least 6mo+, I think.

50k LEAFs is world-wide, the 100k limit applies to US sales only. To date US sales are quite a bit less (maybe half?). Even at the recent high pace of 2k+ LEAFs/month it's going to take years to hit the 100k limit.

Also, once the limit is reached a quarterly phase-out begins - the credit doesn't just go away, it is reduced in size on a predictable calendar. This is what happened to the hybrid credits, starting with Toyota and then Ford.

cgaydos said:
derkraut said:
I believe sales are around 50K units; so you should have at least 6mo+, I think.

50k LEAFs is world-wide, the 100k limit applies to US sales only. To date US sales are quite a bit less (maybe half?). Even at the recent high pace of 2k+ LEAFs/month it's going to take years to hit the 100k limit.

Total US Leaf sales are around 29k units as of the end of June. Total worldwide sales are around 70k units.

dvdmon said:
I'd heard from my Leaf-owning coworker that the federal incentive is only good for the first 100K cars of a given kind. I'm just wondering if there are any estimates in how close Nissan is. Just want to gauge whether I could wait a few months, or even 6 months if I had to, or if it's really completely unknown when this will end?

Just to be clear, it is a Federal tax credit and not a rebate. The credit is included in your monthly price if you lease (since Nisan gets it and they pass it along), and you file for it on your taxes to get it if you purchased the vehicle.

But in order to get it, you need to have $7500 of federal tax liability in order to get the entire amount...

Randy said:
Just to be clear, it is a Federal tax credit and not a rebate. The credit is included in your monthly price if you lease (since Nisan gets it and they pass it along), and you file for it on your taxes to get it if you purchased the vehicle.

But in order to get it directly from the IRS, you need to have $7500 of federal tax liability in order to get the entire amount...
I added that red edit for you. You always get the whole amount, regardless of tax liability, if you lease.

Ray

mwalsh said:
100k? Pretty sure it's 200k per manufacturer. Edit: Make that absolutely certain.
Yes. And Nissan has a ways to go before hitting the limit. However, it is worth noting that Congress could change the law; seems unlikely at present but it could happen someday. Many people, including some here, dislike the tax credit because it interferes with free market competition (never mind the gigantic subsidies that oil gets, both direct and indirect).

Back