How much would you pay for a 30 km range boost?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treinjapan

Hey gang!

We're looking at a couple of different Leafs here in Japan. The prices and options are different from the US, so basically the difference between the 2013 and 2012 are the wheels, heater system and slightly more range (30 km).

There are 2 dealer test drive cars we're looking at:
-2012 top of the line with 9000 km for $20,500 after taxes and everything (but it's silver and I dread silver :D )
-2013 top of the line with 4000 km for $27,000 all in. (White, which is nicer to me.)

We only drive about 6000-7000 km a year, though we live in a cold place so I think the heater would be great. We plan to keep the car for 8-10 years.

It's not that the 2013 is expensive for what you get, it's just that the 2012 is insanely cheap I think. I think I could like it, but I also feel like I might have that regret that I should have just waited for the better heater and range. We're not in a rush and can wait up to a half year, though the super-cheap 2012 may disappear.

Any advice is appreciated!

I can buy another 100km of range for about $5350 (charger and installation custom and not included) so I would guess that probably not that much. It depends I suppose more on the warranty situation there more than anything.

Also why does the 12 have so much less range? Does it really not have the cold weather package or is there capacity loss or what?

rmay635703 said:
I can buy another 100km of range for about $5350 (charger and installation custom and not included) so I would guess that probably not that much. It depends I suppose more on the warranty situation there more than anything.

Also why does the 12 have so much less range? Does it really not have the cold weather package or is there capacity loss or what?

The "old" Leaf before the model change/update is the 2012 here, and the other one is post-update. I don't think there is a "cold weather package" in Japan, as they all have the steering wheel heater, etc.

As for the warrantee, they're both still under the manufacturer warrantee, with like 4ish years remaining.

rmay635703 said:
What have you been smokin ?

The 2012 and the 2013 have the same size battery pack, 24kwh. There is very little difference in range between a 12 and 13 LEAF.

KJD said:
rmay635703 said:
What have you been smokin ?

The 2012 and the 2013 have the same size battery pack, 24kwh. There is very little difference in range between a 12 and 13 LEAF.

I believe you should have adressed your comment to the OP,

HE WAS THE ONE THAT STATED THE 2012 HAD 30KM LESS RANGE, RE-READ THE OPS MESSAGE!
It doesn't make any sense unless there is a problem or no Japanese cold weather package on 12's

Make sense?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=273048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - using a fixed speed highway test
http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-rated-at-75-miles-but-84-miles-using-the-old-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - using the EPA test procedure which you can learn more from http://priuschat.com/threads/car-and-driver-the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.67235/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (but the C&D article written WAY before the Leaf)

Take the above for what they're worth...

The '12 Leaf would've had its battery degraded somewhat and would lack the more efficient hybrid heater, as well.

The '12 could have 30km less range in the winter than a '13 since it doesn't have the heat pump.

Sorry guys.

What I was trying to express was not dependent on the model year number, because they're different from the US ones. Let's rephrase things like this:

There are 2 dealer test drive cars we're looking at:
-Pre-Updated version: top of the line with 9000 km for $20,500 after taxes and everything (but it's silver and I dread silver :D )
-Post-Updated version: top of the line with 4000 km for $27,000 all in. (White, with black interior which is much nicer to me.)

Doesn't seem like it's worth a near-30% bump in price since the "old" version is so cheap. What do you think?

Does the 2012 still have full capacity on the battery? Capacity loss would be the main thing I'd be worried about on the 2012.

I would never buy a used LEAF without knowing the AH reading on the battery. You can get this information from the Leaf Spy application that Turbo3 wrote for an android device. You can get a kyocera phone without contract for 50 bucks or less and no monthly fees that way. The blue tooth connector is about 15 dollars. See this thread.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compare the readings from both cars and it will give you an idea of how much the battery is down from a new one.

I would not assume that one car has 30 km more range than the other one just because the salesperson said so. In the USA the EPA ratings from 2012 to 2013 were only about 2 miles different.

The battery warranty from Nissan is only 5 years or 60,000 miles. Something else to consider when buying a used LEAF.

treinjapan said:
Sorry guys.

What I was trying to express was not dependent on the model year number, because they're different from the US ones. Let's rephrase things like this..."

There seems to be more confusion about the title you chose for this thread. What are you referring to by "30km range boost"?

Have both tested as stated before. If the battery condition of both are somewhat within tolerance of each other, go for the 2012 model year. Here's why:

1) you save yourself a good few thousand dollars which will take approximately 5 years or more of driving to possibly break even
2) the 2012 has more power and is sweeter to drive
3) although the heat pump in the 2013 version is more efficient, with good planning it's not a range breaker.

I got myself a 2012 model as well and I am not disappointed for the decision!

Back