How secure is unattended charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is interesting how differently it is done in different models/contries.

On my VW Golf CityStromer, VW produced a "flip down" front licence plate. You flip it down, and the charging cable is hidden in the front bumper. Very neat. You pull it out (it's coiled), and plug it into a standard mains socket (same standard as everybody has in their kitchen/garage/whereever).

So a "charging station" in Europe is simply a normal mains socket (230V 16A on the continent).

Takes seconds to do.

I'm more concerned about thieves who want the copper. They wouldn't care about the J1772 connector. They could just cut it at both ends, even if those ends were locked somehow. Of course, they'd want to disconnect one end, preferably the supply end, to be sure the cord wasn't charged before cutting into it, but I believe that even disconnecting the EV end will send a signal to the EVSE so the cable will not be charged, and if so I'm sure the thieves will learn that soon enough. I probably won't use public charging stations unless they are in secure locations like paid garages, unless maybe I can watch my car through a window when I eat lunch, or something like that.

Rat said:
I'm more concerned about thieves who want the copper. They wouldn't care about the J1772 connector. They could just cut it at both ends, even if those ends were locked somehow. Of course, they'd want to disconnect one end, preferably the supply end, to be sure the cord wasn't charged before cutting into it, but I believe that even disconnecting the EV end will send a signal to the EVSE so the cable will not be charged, and if so I'm sure the thieves will learn that soon enough. I probably won't use public charging stations unless they are in secure locations like paid garages, unless maybe I can watch my car through a window when I eat lunch, or something like that.
Hundreds of these stations in Southern California for 10 years with few issues. Most damage stems from handle being dropped or falling off the hanger.

KeiJidosha said:
Hundreds of these stations in Southern California for 10 years with few issues. Most damage stems from handle being dropped or falling off the hanger.

There are waaay too many foreclosed and empty houses around the country full of copper that are easier and more lucrative targets than an EV cable. And the thieves can stay under cover until they're done. Don't worry about our EV cords.

I have been Charging publicly 4 3 years now. I've never had an issue and my cord is detachable. Initially i was worried That someone would deal Mike's tension cord ( my extension cord) but that has not happened.

1 thing to consider. I currently have very little Competition 4 The public charging spots that we have now. we have 110 all over the place now. The new chargers might be a different story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms4V3rjeWp8&feature=related
I think you buy a card or tag to unlock the front panel

Back