How to plug in but not charge???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinzgauer

Looked everywhere for this, but is there an easy way to plug in the Leaf, but either inhibit or turn off charge?

scenario: Charge at 90%, parking for the night. Want to use a timer for climate control.

If I plug it in it immediately starts charging, which I don't want. Can't turn off charging from the phone or tablet. If I stop charging on the EVSE the Leaf thinks it's not plugged in.

So far the closest I've seen is to use a dummy timer in the car set at 80%, then let the climate or remote charge override that to force 100%.

But seems a very long way around, I just want to manually stop charging but leave plugged in.

Is there a trick for this that I missed?

To not start charging immediately, use a charging timer
with a Start time set to the time you want charging to start.

Charging can stop by itself, either at 80% or 100%, but not
at other levels.

However, by setting an End time in the charging timer,
and selecting charge to 100%, very careful selection
of the ending time would stop the charging before 100%.
However, the selected time interval would depend upon
how discharged your battery pack is at charging start.

Welcome to seemingly artificial limitations in parameter
settings. It would seem like adding the stop-charging
setting choices of 85, 90, and 95% would have been trivial,
and very useful, especially as the battery starts to age.

garygid said:
To not start charging immediately, use a charging timer
with a Start time set to the time you want charging to start.

Wow, sure seems like there should be a button or setting that tells the car to stop charging

So setting a timer with 80% charge, it would never activate since the car is at 90%.

But the climate control timer would override that and allow charging for the time the climate control is on? (Assuming I had climate set as priority over charge timer?, and default car charge set to 100%)

So what happens when you press the stop timer button?

Need to get the car back from my daughter and experiment!

How to use timers depends on whether you have an S model or the SV/SL. But, some general rules are:

• If no charge timers are set the car will charge when plugged-in, assuming that the charge level is below the set level (either 80% or "100%", 2013 models).

• If you set an end-time-only charge timer with an end time that is well beyond the time needed to charge the car it won't charge when you plug it in.

• The car may charge when the climate control timer turns CC on, but it depends on the temperature and what voltage/amps one is charging at (how much power the EVSE can deliver and how much power the car's charger uses).

If you have an SV or SL model, you can set a charge timer to only charge in a certain time window on certain days of the week. If that window does not include the time you plug the car in it will not charge until it hits that time window.

So, yes, it is possible to have the car not charge when plugged-in and to have the CC timer work normally.

Please tell us year and model so we don't have to try to cover all the different cases, as dgpcolorado found himself having to do. The best place to do that is in a "Signature". User Control Panel -> Profile -> Edit signature.

Short answer if you have a 2013: There is a charge limit setting for 80%/100% independent of any timers. How you set that depends on which model you have.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Please tell us year and model so we don't have to try to cover all the different cases, as dgpcolorado found himself having to do. The best place to do that is in a "Signature". User Control Panel -> Profile -> Edit signature.

Short answer if you have a 2013: There is a charge limit setting for 80%/100% independent of any timers. How you set that depends on which model you have.

2013 SV with quick charge & LED headlights. 30Amp EVSE at home.

So sounds like if I set a standing 80% timer 0100-0700 or similar, it won't charge at plug in. And will charge if needed later, but only to 80%.

Keep the main "battery save charge" setting off so it will charge at 100%.

I can then override by one of the following:
- Remote cmd to start charging
- Press the cancel timer button when plugged in. (need to confirm this)

And potentially, if I have a climate timer set, it would also trigger charging.

This would probably work, just need to train my daughter to override the timer the night before for days she needs max range.

Sure would be easier to have a "stop charge" button!!!

I have a 2013S. I usually charge to 80%. If I run the cc before I leave, the car will always add to the 80% charge. I like this, since it's a way to get a bit more in there, but not the full 100%. AFAIK, when the cc is on, the car is charging too, since the main contactors are closed. It starts the cc 1/2 hour before the assigned departure time. When I get in the car, the SOC will be 85% and usually 77 miles or so.

If I need a 100% charge, I'll change the charge to 100% 1.5-2 hours before I leave, and set the cc for the departure time. In this case the car will be at 100%, since it can't go any higher.

Back