How well do low-power Level 2 chargers work ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaviel

I just bought a 2016 Leaf in Canada, and am trying to get my head around the charging options.

As far as I can tell from the handbook and other sources, the J1772 cable provided with the car will charge from 120V at 12A (I measured it; it does), and the Leaf will charge at 30A from a level 2 EVSE. (According to a study at INL, the electrical efficiency is 90% on 208V cf. 78% on 120, another good reason to use 240V)

I see many Level 2 EVSEs on the market, using various connectors, and people talking about charging from dryer or RV outlets. My dryer uses a NEMA 14-30R connector rated for only 30A, not enough margin, and my RV has a NEMA TT-30 plug (120V 30A, not 240), which is what I've seen at some campgrounds.

I have seen a couple of commercial 240V EVSEs that state a lower charge current, compatible with a dryer outlet - the Clipper Creek LCS-30P and the Aerovironment Turbocord. The LCS-30P is a 24A charger, while the Turbocord is a 16A charger using a NEMA 6-20 connector. It seemed like it might be useful when visiting someone who has a dryer but not a NEMA 14-50 or their own EVSE.

I don't entirely understand the SAE connector. Would these EVSEs charge at their stated charge rate by negotiation with the charger in the Leaf, or would the Leaf try to pull 30A from it regardless ?
Are there any EVSEs that are easily configurable to charge at either the full 30A at home or 20A when traveling ?

Unless you have some reason to want to charge at maximum speed while camping, I suggest you get the Clipper Creek 24A charging station, equip it with the correct plug for the dryer outlet, and use an adapter while RV ing if necessary. I actually have a dual use 30/50A plug on my L-2 EVSE. I left the neutral pin off (it isn't used with charging equipment) so it will plug directly into both the old style 30A dryer outlet and the 50A RV outlets. You'll still charge 4X as fast as L-1.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I just ordered and expect delivery tomorrow on a JuiceBox 40 pro. Where I am presently I have access to an RV 30 amp plug. This is 120 30 amps...not 240. How will the EVSE know I have 30 amps (at 120) available and that it is not a standard 15 or 20 amp 120 volt circuit. Will I have to "tell it" that it is on a 30 amp circuit?

Thanks in advance.

The EVSE gives a pilot signal to tell the charger in the car the maximum current to pull. This will always limit the current to a safe level no matter how mismatched the car and EVSE are.

LCS-30 with 14-30 plug would be perfect for what you need. I think maximum is closer to 27 amp draw on L2 so the 24 amps of LCS-30 will not cramp your style. Well worth charging at 24 vs 16 however.

Go-Cable

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/Go-Cable-is-THE-240V-20-Amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-GC20.htm

$299 from Quick Charge Power

Go-Cable(tm) is the super flexible and super lightweight low cost 240 volt / 20 amp portable charge cable (EVSE) for your EV sold in North America or Japan.

Full 25 foot cable length !!!

Requires a 208- 240 volt wall outlet, with a minimum 20 amp circuit.

Provides up to 3.8kW of power to your EV.

Equipped with NEMA L6-20P wall plug.

Optional adaptors for $29 each:

NEMA 14-50P (RV parks... this is the home outlet recommended by Tesla)

NEMA 10-30P (older dyers)

NOTE: the NEMA 14-50P can be modified to be safely used with NEMA 14-20P or NEMA 14-30P (newer dryers) by removing the neutral pin. Any qualified electrician can do this.

Other popular plugs available via special order.

adaviel said:
I just bought a 2016 Leaf in Canada, and am trying to get my head around the charging options.

As far as I can tell from the handbook and other sources, the J1772 cable provided with the car will charge from 120V at 12A (I measured it; it does), and the Leaf will charge at 30A from a level 2 EVSE . (According to a study at INL, the electrical efficiency is 90% on 208V cf. 78% on 120, another good reason to use 240V)
Actually a modern Leaf will charge at a max of 27.5a from either 120v(L1) or 240v(L2).

adaviel said:
I see many Level 2 EVSEs on the market, using various connectors, and people talking about charging from dryer or RV outlets. My dryer uses a NEMA 14-30R connector rated for only 30A, not enough margin, and my RV has a NEMA TT-30 plug (120V 30A, not 240), which is what I've seen at some campgrounds.
A 30a outlet should be able to provide 24a continuous charge, same thing for a TT-30 but of course that will be at 120v.

adaviel said:
I have seen a couple of commercial 240V EVSEs that state a lower charge current, compatible with a dryer outlet - the Clipper Creek LCS-30P and the Aerovironment Turbocord. The LCS-30P is a 24A charger, while the Turbocord is a 16A charger using a NEMA 6-20 connector. It seemed like it might be useful when visiting someone who has a dryer but not a NEMA 14-50 or their own EVSE.
If you want to charge from a variety of outlets and voltages I'd suggest you don't get a Clipper Creek EVSE or even Turbocord, they are really meant for only one amperage and in the case of Clipper Creek one voltage. If I were you I'd get a 30a or more multi voltage EVSE. Juicebox is probably the most common or OpenEVSE like MNL member VegasBrad sells, not to forget TonyWilliams also on MNL who sells such a dual voltage adjustable amperage EVSE(although not the one he specifically mentioned above, that one is 16a fixed).

adaviel said:
I don't entirely understand the SAE connector. Would these EVSEs charge at their stated charge rate by negotiation with the charger in the Leaf, or would the Leaf try to pull 30A from it regardless ?
Are there any EVSEs that are easily configurable to charge at either the full 30A at home or 20A when traveling ?
See above but yes any adjustable amperage EVSE would do what you want. Ones like the modern Juicebox use your cell phone to adjust maximum output amperage, others like Brad's use buttons and even others like Tony's I believe adjusts depending on what plug your using. There are even more(cheaper ones) that adjust by shaking the EVSE to set the output for one of several different preset settings.
Personally I like my Juicebox, I have a older one with a nice display and remote control, easy peasy. I'm not a big cell phone user but I guess those that are would like the new Juicebox, if I were to do it again I'd probably order one from Brad. For some people I'd suggest upgrading your factory EVSE by EVSEupgrade but not really in your case. It costs ~$300 but you'd only get a maximum of 16a @240v and 12a @ 120v, sounds like you want/need more output than that.
Your car and EVSE sets the maximum current your car will draw, the lowest one wins. If you plug a 30a EVSE into a 27.5a Leaf and plug it into a 20a outlet it will try and draw 27.5a and blow your circuit. If your EVSE allows you to adjust the output amperage and you set it at 16a it will charge at that and be fine. Now if you have a older 16a Leaf in the first scenario it will only draw 16a and you'll also be OK, in this case it's the Leaf restricting the current not the EVSE.

Lastly, for multivoltage EVSEs they generally come with a 240v plug, sized according to the maximum amperage current the EVSE will draw. If plugging it into a 120v outlet or other 240v plug you'll need to purchase or make outlet adapters. They will have a female end the same as your EVSE uses and the male end will be whatever outlet you want to plug into. The EVSE automatically knows if it's plugged into a 120v or 240v source.

jjeff said:
Actually a modern Leaf will charge at a max of 27.5a from either 120v(L1) or 240v(L2).

How does that work ? Negotiation with the EVSE again ? If so, that's an option for campground TT-30's I guess. Not in the owner's manual that I recollect.

Thanks for all the details. I'll probably end up getting a cheaper 30A EVSE for home and put in a 40A circuit, and never take the Leaf camping, but you've given me more options.

adaviel said:
jjeff said:

How does that work ? Negotiation with the EVSE again ? If so, that's an option for campground TT-30's I guess. Not in the owner's manual that I recollect.

Thanks for all the details. I'll probably end up getting a cheaper 30A EVSE for home and put in a 40A circuit, and never take the Leaf camping, but you've given me more options.
Not sure what your asking but a Leaf with the 6.6kwh onboard charger will charge up to a maximum of 27.5a on either 120v or 240v. Of course your EVSE has to be capable of working on 120v and it also has to be rated for at least that much, also note in the case of a TT-30 it will more than likely only be on a 30a breaker with #10 wire, both of which are only rated for 24a continuous. IOW plugging into a TT-30 I'd never set my EVSE for more than 24a, unless I know different.
The cheapest 30a L2 EVSE would probably be the GE which generally sells for $399 at Amazon and even Home Depot. The GE actually works on 120v too and lets you(with little jumpers) dial the current down to one of several different outputs. Of course do to it's size, it isn't really a portable EVSE I'd carry around, you'd also need to add a power cable of your choice.

Back