I actually like my AV EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFish

I've read a lot of discussion about the Blink EVSE and I realize that it is a totally different beast, but I thought I would say that my AV supply has actually worked very nicely with the car timers. Knock on wood, I have never awoke to an un-charged battery as of yet.

I was however very unhappy with the quote of $2400.00 installed, so I purchased it cash and carry for $750.00 and installed it myself in about an hour.

I figured I would throw my 2 cents out there for anyone shopping around before they get their car.

Cheers.
Mike

Mine has been reliable and solid, as well. And the Yazaki connector is the same as Nissan uses on their L1 unit, so it's very smooth and easy to operate. I did pay AV's electrician more than $2k for the install, but I had a 70 foot wiring run from my power panel to the garage, and some other issues. It wasn't much more than a local electrician would have charged, and with the full install/replacement warranty, I wasn't too annoyed about it. That said, though, if I were doing it today, I would have had an electrician run the wiring for me, install a dryer plug and go with Ingineer's modification to the Nissan standard unit. I paid a price for being an early adopter and for having anxiety about whether opting out of the AV unit would put me in a secondary position in Nissan's delivery process.

Also, regarding the $750 cash and carry price, I believe that I read that AV has raised their price to $995 now.

+1 on the A/V unit (especially at the 2010 cash/carry price). I was lucky enough to have an electrician handy, who charged way less than A/V's marked-up price, so I wound up with the best of both worlds.

AV dock has been rock solid for me as well. Got it for $750 cash and carry and had William Korthof do my (rather complicated) install. Very happy that I went with the "official" unit.

I think AV needs to realize that interest in their unit is ultimately filtered by the fact that the price went UP ~20%. That changes everything when I was looking for it to go DOWN ~20%. I guess we need more competition.

Boomer23 said:
Mine has been reliable and solid, as well. And the Yazaki connector is the same as Nissan uses on their L1 unit, so it's very smooth and easy to operate. I did pay AV's electrician more than $2k for the install, but I had a 70 foot wiring run from my power panel to the garage, and some other issues. It wasn't much more than a local electrician would have charged, and with the full install/replacement warranty, I wasn't too annoyed about it. That said, though, if I were doing it today, I would have had an electrician run the wiring for me, install a dryer plug and go with Ingineer's modification to the Nissan standard unit. I paid a price for being an early adopter and for having anxiety about whether opting out of the AV unit would put me in a secondary position in Nissan's delivery process.

Also, regarding the $750 cash and carry price, I believe that I read that AV has raised their price to $995 now.

Yes, they gave me a strange story about that... claiming that Nissan FORCED them to raise the price. Also, they that Nissan FORCED them to void the warranty on cash & carry units. I find that hard to believe, unless there's some sort of profit-sharing agreement between them. Also, they're now using the ITT-Cannon plug that I mentioned in this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4510 instead of the one that Nissan uses. Not that it's a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

I may have bought the AV if AV would have applied the $100 home evaluation fee to the cash price. I would also prefer a lower profile.
Now with the increased price I am for sure waiting for more options.
Glad to hear it has been reliable for those that signed up for the AV. ;)

My AV EVSE works like it is suppose to: a piece of electrical equipment that does its job all the time, without any complication. It is just a smart plug, I don't even think about it. Yes, it was expensive to install as part of the original Nissan roll out. But I think it was very well thought out and implement seamlessly. One less part to worry about in this EV early adapter phase. If only the LEAF has the 6.6KW charger to match the AV output. :?

seekzeroe said:
My AV EVSE works like it is suppose to: a piece of electrical equipment that does its job all the time, without any complication...
There's a lot to be said for a simple EVSE. Now if someone would start pricing them to match their simplicity.

BTW, to be fair to the Blinks I haven't heard of anyone who actually missed a charge because of the various issues. The charging HW is separate from the smarts and works even when the unit appears to be totally locked up.

z0ner said:
Didn't AMT kill this?
It killed it for me. I don't trust the Feds won't kill it for the purchase price too, so I leased. Now, I just have to worry about the Cali Govt taking back their rebate offer as I wait for a license plate.

Electric4Me said:
+1!

Add to this the 2010 tax rebate of 50% and this really was a no-brainer at the time.
Same here--with expectation of a December delivery, I had mine installed in November. It waited 6+ months before it saw its first action. But the $1100 tax credit made it much better. I looked at it as an investment for the house. The unit, itself, has been flawless so far. No anxiety about waking up to a missed charge.

Back