I-Key error message

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stukid

Purchased my Leaf last week, and had the windows tinted yesterday. When I received the car back, the I-Key error message was on the dash. Installer was very contrite, claiming the only thing he disconnected was the wire leading to the rear view mirror. The type of film he used was Johnson Film 'Renegade' series which is designed specifically for newer cars with lots of on board electronics. The film is carbon impregnated, not metallic or dyed according to manufacturer. Drove car to Nissan dealer in Brandon Fl, where they were very interested and concerned because they had not encountered any problems with Leaf.
They scanned ECU and there were numerous codes, cleared the codes and reset the memory. Codes popped backup immediately. I don't have a printout of what they were, but I left the car there last night. Nick the tech (who ironically I worked with many years ago) is going to do the basic tests this morning, then communicate with Nissan, because as he told me, Nissan is all about wanting nformation about the car.
I will post what they find when I receive news later today.

A huge shout out to my technician at Nissan of Brandon (FL) Nick! After all preliminary inspections revealed no answer, he called the Nissan tech line in CA. They downloaded all the vehicle data from the codes being set, and noticed the window tint installer had the ignition in the run mode (not "READY" mode) with the trickle charger installed. That combo apparently set the ECU(s?) into a fail-safe mode. What is surprising is that fail-safe stayed ON even after clearing all codes.
The fix was to disconnect the 12V battery, then after a short period of time, Nissan uploaded some new software to alleviate the I-Key error.
I am going to pick the vehicle up at 6:30 tonight. I will let you know how it drives.

Picked up the car of Friday night, put lotsa miles on over the weekend, drove like it supoosed to- very quietly and efficiently!
From what I gather in discussing code with technicians, the I-Key error is sort like the "Check Engine" light on ICE vehicle.
It may have numerous definitions, but the one definition that I took from it was "Take me to Nissan of Brandon!" :geek:

Back