I'm in a quandry

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgeliot

OK so I was out driving today and accidentally hit the button on my steering wheel to enable voice-activated stuff in my Leaf.  I never use this, so I'm not familiar with it.  It asked me what I wanted, so I said "CANCEL".  It replied "Navigating to Home". 

It then started giving me turn-by turn directions.  Meanwhile, my phone is doing the same, trying to take me to my actual destination.  They are pointedly ignoring each other.

I couldn't figure out how to bring up a screen to deal with the navigation on the stereo / navigation / backup camera / Too Goddamn Smart For Its Own Good system, so I hit the voice button again.  It asked me what I wanted, so I said "CANCEL NAVIGATION".  It replied "Connecting to phone".  I can't recall exactly what happened next, but the car clearly had a low opinion of the phone.

I hit the button again, and again it asked me what I wanted.  At that moment, my phone spoke up, telling me to turn right.  My car didn't like that.  Now my phone and the car are arguing with each other.  I'm laughing so hard I can barely steer.

I got to where I was going and turned off the car, figuring that would end it all.  BUT NO.  When I got back in the car and turned it on, it again started giving me directions.  I figured that when I got home, it would decide that it had won my affections, and quit. 

BUT NOOOOO.  
It wanted me to go the wrong direction on the freeway. It wasn't taking me to my home, it still knew only the home of the previous owner, way up in Boulder, and was determined to take me there. 
Then it realized that I didn't have enough charge left to reach Boulder, and it started getting upset.   
"You may not have enough charge to reach your destination."   
"Take exit 201 and turn back."   
"Take exit 200 and turn back."   
Now it's really upset. "YOU WON'T HAVE ENOUGH CHARGE TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION!  Search for charging stations?"  
"Take exit 199 and turn back!"
"SEARCHING FOR CHARGING STATIONS!" 

I got home.  When I turned the car off, it was still trying to get me to a charging station, and to Boulder.

My problem is that I can't decide if it would be funnier for me to tell my GF about this whole escapade now, or just stay quiet and let her enjoy it for herself when she drives the car next?

Don't know which model year you have. The voice input vocabulary on my former '13 Leaf SV was so limited, it had significantly less voice input functionality than my former 06 Prius. I just used the touch screen to cancel navigation.

On my former '06 Prius, the way I did it by voice was pressing the voice command button then saying suspend guidance.

If you gave us the model year, we could take a look at the nav system manual. For my former '13, from https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/manuals-and-guides/leaf/2013/2013-Nissan-LEAF-navigation-manual.pdf (via https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/ownership/manuals-guides.html), page 3-47, cancel route sounds right to me.

On my 2021 Leaf, you would press the "map" button, then press "cancel" on the touch screen. It will ask if you really want to cancel.

There are far more voice recognition systems then there are useful voice systems. In your case, just don't use it.

I used to have a Ford Edge with a voice recognition system. It had a SD card slot for music. It would always find a song, even if it was not on the card. I could say "play song Sympathy for Kin Jung Un" and it would respond "playing song Sympathy for the Devil".

Back