I'm tired of eco mode in my 2013 Leaf S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrhansen

I don't think I'm going to drive in it any more. In other threads read that the range is nearly the same. I drive like a grandma anyway. What I don't like about eco mode is that it makes the brakes kind of grabby when you just try to ease on the brake just enough to engage the regen, but not so much as to engage the friction brakes. It seems to work much more smoothly in drive. What are your experiences with this? Do you think I'll be giving up anything besides grabby brakes if I stay out of the eco mode?. By the way. I'd rather have full power to the heat when I ask for it. If I want to save power I can turn the temp down.

I drive in Eco mode as much as possible. I have an older Leaf so I don't have "B" mode. I haven't noticed the "grabby" brakes but perhaps I'm just used to it. I know that when I get into my Audi, for the first few miles it seems like I have a heavy foot on the brake.

In addition to added regen, I like it because I live in the foothills of LA, and Eco mode helps control the speed of the car better on those long downhill stretches of road. That's also why I try to avoid charging to 100%; I'll lose that "engine braking" until the battery starts to empty.

The only time I switch it off is on extended uphill stretches. While a harder push on the accelerator accomplishes the same, having it in "D" is just a bit more comfortable.

I have a 2011 SL-e and I agree with you johnrhansen. I only switch into Eco mode when I want the increased regenerative braking when stopping at a light or when needing it to hold steady speed on steep downgrade in cruise control. I haven't driven a 2013 much, only a short SL test drive, but my guess is that in a 2013 I hardly ever use Eco. I would just switch B mode on and off as desired.
But people have different opinions. Some people like the accelerator mapping better and believe they can more carefully minimize energy usage.
But I don't like having to press the accelerator that far in most situations.

I’m also in Seattle and I don’t like ECO mode. But I end up using it a lot. I find myself wanting more engine braking and will often switch in and out just for breaking during the summer. During the winter, I drive almost exclusively in ECO. That is because ECO will limit the heater to about 1.5kW in most conditions. Sounds like that won’t be an issue for you though. Give it up and report back to us.

Grabby at high or low speeds? There's a (temporary?) fix if it happens at low, which is: Turn off traction control, inch forward, hold and press down the brakes FULLY for about 30 seconds. That's it. Mine used to be super grabby on/off style at low speeds, but now they're normal.

TimLee said:
I haven't driven a 2013 much, only a short SL test drive, but my guess is that in a 2013 I hardly ever use Eco. I would just switch B mode on and off as desired.
The thread title says "2013 Leaf S". The S model doesn't have B mode, and its ECO behaves differently from the 2011/1012 LEAFs. I use ECO all the time in my 2013 S, and very much like the fact that the car now remembers what mode I was using, so no more "double shifting" every time I power up or use Reverse or Park. I rarely need full power, and when I do I don't mind pushing the accelerator to the floor.

I haven't experienced John's problem with grabby brakes at speed. I do have grabby brakes, but only at very low speed, and only when I lightly apply, release, and reapply them.

Ray

It may be different for you since I believe the S doesn't have a B mode, but I also find Eco annoying. I just roll about in B mode non-eco. Still have managed over 5.0 miles/kWh dash indicated for the last month or so, which is about when I got really used to the car.

planet4ever said:
The S model doesn't have B mode, and its ECO behaves differently from the 2011/1012 LEAFs.
Ray
Ray, how is 2013 S Eco different than 2011 / 2012? You've driven both, could you elaborate on the difference about it and what is better about it? Or point us to thread that has done that if it has been covered previously?

Love Eco, wont leave home without it!

I also do cruise control a lot but mostly because my foot gets tired from all that extra pushing in Eco.

But I also coast in neutral a lot so might not want to take my advice. As far as the brakes? My problem in Drive mode is applying too much power which is why I eco it. In my case, its probably a significant boost to my range!

My problem in Drive mode is applying too much power which is why I eco it. In my case, its probably a significant boost to my range!

I prefer the approach used in the Prius, which is to limit total throttle response (but with the same pedal travel) in Eco, with no extra pedal resistance. Much easier on the foot.

TimLee said:
planet4ever said:
The S model doesn't have B mode, and its ECO behaves differently from the 2011/1012 LEAFs.
Ray, how is 2013 S Eco different than 2011 / 2012? You've driven both, could you elaborate on the difference about it and what is better about it? Or point us to thread that has done that if it has been covered previously?
Sorry, I didn't make that clear. It is not functionally different in any way I am aware of, but the user interface is different, as I pointed out in my previous post. That's what I meant by "behaves" differently. To further clarify, though, the ECO mode in the S uses a different interface from the ECO mode in the 2013 SV and SL. In the new SV and SL ECO is a button on the steering wheel. In the S it is turned on or off by shifting twice in the same direction. It's just that the car remembers, so if you always drive the same way you virtually never need to tell the car whether you want it on or off.

Ray

I don't like Eco mode and I hardly ever use it. I do frequently switch between D and B depending on how strong I want the regen to be. I don't like the greatly reduced acceleration response of Eco mode, it makes the whole car feel sluggish to me, which I suppose is the point, but still. I'd rather have full power available at all times without having to totally mash the pedal, and just avoid using full throttle unless I really really need it.

I think the regeneration is about the same in drive you just need to touch the brakes to get it going instead of letting off the gas. I memorized where the friction brakes start to grab when stopping when switched to neutral and I can get all 3 green dots without pressing the brakes that far. Im thinking eco just maps the gas pedal differently. Next time I charge ill reset the economy indicator and drive out of eco for a couple days and report back with my findings. Thanks for all your quick responses.

I think I'm too used to eco. I turn it off and like it at first, but after a while it just seems too touchy. Like the tiniest peddle movements change my speed too much. My foot gets tired from holding it back all the time. But, I also don't like having to floor the pedal all the time in eco.

ObjetDart said:
I don't like Eco mode and I hardly ever use it. I do frequently switch between D and B depending on how strong I want the regen to be. I don't like the greatly reduced acceleration response of Eco mode, it makes the whole car feel sluggish to me, which I suppose is the point, but still. I'd rather have full power available at all times without having to totally mash the pedal, and just avoid using full throttle unless I really really need it.
Ditto on pretty much all of the above.

I mostly drive around in B mode, but the OP doesn't have that.

johnrhansen said:
I think the regeneration is about the same in drive you just need to touch the brakes to get it going instead of letting off the gas. I memorized where the friction brakes start to grab when stopping when switched to neutral and I can get all 3 green dots without pressing the brakes that far. Im thinking eco just maps the gas pedal differently. Next time I charge ill reset the economy indicator and drive out of eco for a couple days and report back with my findings. Thanks for all your quick responses.

remember that every time you touch the brake pedal, the braking system charges the hydraulics and most of the time "some" braking happens. albeit very little but to say its the same as regen with no pedal is not quite true.

now how much of a penalty is it? dont remember. I think Phil posted some data a while back on the subject and I thought it to be minor. All in all, I say do what is best for you.

I do Eco because it is best for me. I pretty much took most of my driving habits from the Prius to the LEAF (not so much the ZENN since I drove it floored nearly all the time) with very minor changes

DaveinOlyWA said:
remember that every time you touch the brake pedal, the braking system charges the hydraulics and most of the time "some" braking happens. albeit very little but to say its the same as regen with no pedal is not quite true. now how much of a penalty is it? dont remember. I think Phil posted some data a while back on the subject and I thought it to be minor. All in all, I say do what is best for you.
I don't remember Phil posting anything on this, but TickTock did a lot of research. See this thread, where Dave, among others, was active: Max regen - at what point do mechanical brakes engage?

Ray

pkulak said:
I think I'm too used to eco. I turn it off and like it at first, but after a while it just seems too touchy. Like the tiniest peddle movements change my speed too much.

This is primarily why I use Eco, as well. Just easier to accurately maintain a desired speed without having to concentrate on feathering the throttle by tiny amounts. D is just too fussy for me. A linear throttle mapping just seems to make a lot more sense to me. Leave the hyperbolic throttle-response mapping to those ICE engines that have to move heaven and earth to get torque at low rmps. ;)

Back