Instead of #8/2, can I use #10/4 using paired conductors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mitchell said:
I've picked-up the #6/2 NMD cable. At the widest, it is 0.68" across, so using the 53% maximum conduit fill rule, I would need to use 1" conduit -- though that means I've now got to find a concrete drill bit wider than the 1" x 10" long I have now (to get through the concrete block to the garage -- I can't get my drill to the inside side, so need to do the drilling from the garage side). So it is definately tempting to only use 3/4" conduit if allowed.
So the conduit is just being used to protect the NM inside the garage? How much of the run is is in conduit and how much is not? For a "sleeving" application, not a complete conduit system, you don't have to meet the conduit fill requirements. But I bet 1" conduit will be easier to use than 3/4". So I suggest using 3/4" EMT (o.d. 0.922") just for getting through the concrete wall, and then upsizing to 1".

Mitchell said:
Interesting that a cable gland can only be used with a plug, not hard-wired.
Cable is building wire, designed to be fixed in place; cord is the flexible assembly on all your appliance plugs. You can't hard wire cord or fix it in place, you need to have a plug on the end of the cord. So you'd need to use a receptacle if you want to use cord.

If you want to hard-wire the EVSE, then you should just run your NM cable into it. You could run your conduit sleeve all the way to the EVSE and attach it to the EVSE. Or you could stop it short and just have an exposed section of NM cable. In which case you'd use a clamping-style cable connector at the EVSE, not a cord gland.

Cheers, Wayne

Can the gland be removed completely and the conduit be attached to the housing using an appropriate connector, or abandon the gland and drill a new hole for hard-wire? Or just install an outlet and use a plug, it will be easier to change the EVSE in the future, many prefer this method over hard wiring.

wwhitney said:
Cable is building wire, designed to be fixed in place; cord is the flexible assembly on all your appliance plugs. You can't hard wire cord or fix it in place, you need to have a plug on the end of the cord. So you'd need to use a receptacle if you want to use cord.

Thanks for providing all your electrical knowledge. I saw someone recommended that if you live in an apartment and so can't setup a 240 volt EVSE you should replace the breaker on the circuit you plug your 120 volt EVSE into for a 20 amp one. I was surprised that no one immediately responded with how horrible of an idea that was but I did.

The example on the right being this use case which is not permitted.

006ecmCBfig2x.jpg

I was curious what was allowed as you definitely see flexible cords being hardwired all over commercial spaces.

Permitted uses:
"Wiring of luminaires as allowed by 410.24(A) and 410.62(B)."

"Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange [422.16], but only when used with attachment plugs [400.7(B)], as shown in Fig. 2."

Banned uses:
"Used as substitutes for the fixed wiring of a structure"

http://m.ecmweb.com/code-basics/flexible-cords-cables-and-fixture-wire

Back