iOS Version of LeafSpy Pro development discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone experienced their trip log disappearing after an update or at any other time?

This can happen if iOS gives LeafSpy a new iPhone ID which is different from the previously assigned ID.

The old trip log is still there but it cannot be viewed from within Leafspy because the filename does not have the new ID. You can use ITunes to view the shared app folder to verify if you have multiple Trip Logs.

I will be adding a fix in the next release to handle this case. You will need to first merge any trip logs into just one file using a text editor (do not use excel to do this). You can use any of the file names just be sure there is only one trip log when you install the fixed version of LeafSpy.

LeafSpy will first check if a Trip Log already exists and use that one regardless of the iPhone ID. If no file exists it will create a file using the current iPhone ID.

I have a new concern with my Veepeak OBDII WiFi plug. When plugged in and the car is off the Veepeak is warm and stays warm (about a bit over 100 Degrees F) This seems to be a rather big continuous draw. Is that normal?
Murray

murraychalmers said:
I have a new concern with my Veepeak OBDII WiFi plug. When plugged in and the car is off the Veepeak is warm and stays warm (about a bit over 100 Degrees F) This seems to be a rather big continuous draw. Is that normal?
Murray
I can not say if that is normal but they do run warm as they are always on and WiFi takes power.

I will be getting a Bluetooth 4 OBDII adapter that is iOS compatible on Tuesday for testing. Once I have that working there will be a much lower power option when connecting to your Leaf with LeafSpy.

That's exciting! If you need testing of other models after you get that one working as I'd be happy to buy a different one with the risk being that we figure out it doesn't work otherwise I'll probably switch to Bluetooth as that'll provide a better experience when I'm within endge of my main access point.

Hi Turbo3

I greatly appreciate just how much work you have put into Leaf Spy, certainly of far greater value to us Leaf owners than any monetary return to you. So it seems a bit churlish to raise a concern, but basically the more comprehensive and informative Leaf Spy becomes, paradoxically the harder I find it is to use as a driver - there is now so much displayed on what is a small screen, that some of the smaller font sized information is unreadable while driving.

Yes, the Summary screen (3) has most of the key information, but it is a fixed display with no sizing or positioning adjustments (that I have found). I would like to be able to greatly enlarge the range value for instance. Also, while the units of measurement are shown, there are no labels or graphics for identification - with everything the same size it just makes it harder to use while taking my eyes off the road for a second.

The range tool (screens 3, 4) continues to require the manual input of an efficiency figure. I may perhaps misunderstand this, but the User Selectable Data on screen 4 now includes (data set 4) Trip Distance and Efficiency based on the Wh Counter and the Odometer (though I find this impossibly small to read while driving). Is this not the efficiency value of choice to use with the range tool? If so, I would like to see it on the Summary screen. Better still, is it (or can it be) stored as a variable that can be read by the range tool without driver input - in other words, a Leaf Spy GOM replacement! Now that would be something....

I continue to enjoy driving my Leaf and pushing its boundaries, the latter potentially so easily with Leaf Spy to quell any worries. Perhaps it is down to my eyesight in my retirement years, but at the moment I find I am a bit frustrated by not being able to make the most of the information available while I am driving, and need to stop to peer more closely at the screen...

Thanks in advance for any reply!

I have a stand that rises from one of the two cup holders near dash. Visibility is fine.

The app is not something I frequently view. I see it is connected and getting tire pressure inputs. I compare against dashboard %indicator to verify normal trend including temps. Then I use the dashboard.

We don't want the app to get understanding that you operate it while driving. Those apps get extra scrutiny and follow special rules and liability.

Test version 1.1.4 is making its way through Apple's release process.

The big new improvement is support for the LELink Low Energy Bluetooth 4.0 OBDII adapter. This is now my recommended adapter.

1. No pairing.

2. No setup needed. Just plug it in and startup LeafSpy. Everything is automatic including reconnection. No more needing to manually select a WiFi network.

3. Low power.

4. Smallest size OBDII adapter.

I have one tester with an LELInk adapter but can use more to test things out.

Amazon has the LELink for $35 on Prime. Just search for LELink.

I have ordered a LELink adapter, thanks for the good work. When it gets approved, how do I get the update to version 1.1.4? I would be glad to provide information on the adapter. What sort of information would you like?
Murray

murraychalmers said:
I have ordered a LELink adapter, thanks for the good work. When it gets approved, how do I get the update to version 1.1.4? I would be glad to provide information on the adapter. What sort of information would you like?
Murray
You need to be in the TestFlight group. For that you need to send me your email address (see About screen for email address to send it to).

Here is how I mount my devices running LeafSpy. I use a 3M strip 1" wide which is like tiny Lego Blocks. One on the dash and one on the back of the device. The device then just snaps on and off. Location make it easy to read even the tiny font while driving.

This test run was with iOS version 1.1.4 and the LELink OBDII adapter.

lC2ZCc.jpg

BT LE support (or using Automatic's platform) was just what I was hoping for. Ordered a LElink, and looking forward to buying LeafSpy to support your excellent work!

Turbo3 said:
Amazon has the LELink for $35 on Prime. Just search for LELink.
Hah, before I finished reading this I went back to the eBay link and saw they raised the price. Then went looking for more options and ordered the one on Amazon. I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks for the continounal improvements!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QJRYMFC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448649855&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=LELink+Bluetooth+Low+Energy+OBD-II

I got my 1.1.4 upgrade and the LELink Saturday, fired it up and everything worked perfectly. The LELInk does not get warm and the led lights on it let you know that it it working. This is a much better set-up for the iPhone.
Murray

Version 1.1.5 should fix the problem if you have an Apple TV where the app crashes when it tries to connect to it as Apple TV is also a Bluetooth 4.0 LE device. Version 1.1.5 is currently waiting for Apple to review before releasing it for Beta testing.

The About screen on 1.1.5 will also tell you if your iOS device supports Bluetooth 4.0 LE as some older model devices do not (iPad 2, iPhone 4).

I just received my LELink from Amazon this afternoon. I tried 1.1.4 on an iPhone 6s without any luck. Leaf Spy was connecting to my Apple watch. Saw the 1.1.5 update and installed. Still no success connecting to the LELink. Leaf Spy seems to want to connect to WiFi. I didn't
see any want to turn off WiFi in Leaf Spy settings. Sitting in front of my iMac, Leaf Spy connects to the iMac. Standing in the garage (the LELink is installed in the Leaf and the red light glows), Leaf Spy connects to the Apple TV in the living room rather than LELink. I'll try again tomorrow.

With version 1.1.5 it will display the last Bluetooth 4.0 LE device it sees but will only connect to a device with the name "OBDBLE".

So when you see "Apple" or "iMac" in the status area it only means that is all it has seen not that it is actually connected to any of those devices.

The official release will not display the names of any other Bluetooth 4.0 device it sees except for the OBDBLE LELink device.

There is no need to disable WiFi in LeafSpy as Bluetooth 4.0 LE overrides any other setting.

Back